• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2010

Boney

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
I'm thinking that it will be a whole lot more entertaining if Kinect is massively successful given all of the hate it's been getting here.
If Kinect sells based on technology alone I'll be a sad panda.
Let's see how the lineup plays out. Dance Central looks cool though.

Boney said:
Well his username is cvxfreak

And it's not that I don't find it funny.. it is! But stupidity sometimes irks me.
Yeah thats what I was kinda going for :D

There's all kind of stupidity, the forum kind is always entertaining.

jim-jam bongs said:
I'm thinking that it will be a whole lot more entertaining if Kinect is massively successful given all of the hate it's been getting here.
Oh it'll be fun either way, the consensus of move and kinect's success is split pretty evenly imo, kinda like my opinion on it.

jim-jam bongs said:
I hope both things happen, and then the reverse happens for a few months. That way we'll have all of our bases covered.

sphinx

the piano man
The thing is, things sell when properly advertised.

Kinect will be properly advertised, therefore it will make good numbers regardless of ABSOLUTELY everything else.

I can't think of a videogame product that received a premiere class advertising and wasn't a success. You name it: gears of war, Brain age, Mario Wii, Halo, asassin's creed.

people here WILL eat crow, lots of them.

Boney said:
If Kinect sells based on technology alone I'll be a sad panda.
Let's see how the lineup plays out. Dance Central looks cool though.

Funny story. I actually had a dream about playing Kinect the other night. In order for the sensors to work properly I had to stick suction darts with bright glowing shafts to my eyeballs, nose and lips, and wear a leotard with glowing ping-pong balls on it like a mocap suit.

I remember thinking that the game was pretty fun but the suction cups attached to my eyeballs sort of ruined the experience.

watership

Penguin said:
I'm curious when we can determine the success/failure of Move/Kinect. I'm curious how/if they will be counted in NPDs.

Is it gonna be counted as accessories or hardware?

They won't be, they are accessories. The vicious debate that x sales is due to Move or Kinect is going to be interesting.

Boney

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
Funny story. I actually had a dream about playing Kinect the other night. In order for the sensors to work properly I had to stick suction darts with bright glowing shafts to my eyeballs, nose and lips, and wear a leotard with glowing ping-pong balls on it like a mocap suit.

I remember thinking that the game was pretty fun but the suction cups attached to my eyeballs sort of ruined the experience.
I think you meant wierd.. wierd story :p

Captain Tuttle said:
You get 90 days or the remainder of the 3 year warranty, whichever is longer.

Actually, after speaking with a friend who also got his 360 repaired, we both got 1 year warranties - perhaps this is due to differences between warranty laws in the US and UK? Don't really know much about that myself.

Banned
watership said:
They won't be, they are accessories. The vicious debate that x sales is due to Move or Kinect is going to be interesting.

How would they track Move sets sold anyway? If I buy a starter kit , move controller and nav controller. Does that count as one set or three?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
sphinx said:

Kinect will be properly advertised, therefore it will make good numbers regardless of ABSOLUTELY everything else.

I can't think of a videogame product that received a premiere class advertising and wasn't a success. You name it: gears of war, Brain age, Mario Wii, Halo, asassin's creed.

blur_brock_lee_commercial.jpg

Cheech said:
There aren't many, but there are a few four-player 360 games. Halo and CoD come to mind.

I've played Halo 3 four-player, but only at a friend's house when everyone just brought their own controller from home. I literally couldn't think of even a second four-player game.

I mean, I guess if you're in a dorm or bro house maybe you'll have one 360 and everyone will buy their own controller or something.

jim-jam bongs said:

It would also be entertaining if Eddie Murphy made a good movie again, but I'm not gonna hold my breath for either one. :D

GarthVaderUK said:
Actually, after speaking with a friend who also got his 360 repaired, we both got 1 year warranties - perhaps this is due to differences between warranty laws in the US and UK?

Yup. UK consumer protection laws require companies to refresh up to a year on repair, US consumers ain't gettin' shit.

Curufinwe

Mafia 2 has got a decent advertising budget so it'll be interesting to see how it does next in the next NPD results. I've seen lots of TV ads for it recently, though they're all just promoting the PS3 version.

Jtyettis said:
50k above and beyond August? It will do that alone due to 5 weeks versus 4. If ODST can get it to 351k last year Reach with a dedicated launch slim console will surely provide for 400k plus taking into account the Slim overall, marketing, word of mouth, scores, ect. It’s not even really a leap to see that kind of bump to be honest. Will it do Halo 3 HW numbers in Sept ehh not so sure.

I think the 360 has more going for it this year. Reach wont provide as big of a bump as halo 3 but i think the 360 could go closer to selling more this September than during halo 3's release.

sphinx

the piano man
SapientWolf said:

:lol :lol :lol

you chose Blur to make a point?? That got that infamous TV spot mocking mario kart.

Imagine a Darksiders TV spot mocking Zelda and watch it burn in flames in the lowest level of hell.

by properly avertised I meant, doing good advertising.

MS must show people having fun with kinect adventures and avoid at all costs to try to go head on against the Wii. If they go the Blur "Lol-Wii" way of advertising, they will face the consequences.

dolemite

AdventureRacing said:
I think the 360 has more going for it this year. Reach wont provide as big of a bump as halo 3 but i think the 360 could go closer to selling more this September than during halo 3's release.
The yay vs. nay debate over Halo Reach only has 1 1/2 month to go. Can't fcuking wait.

AdventureRacing said:

During Halo 3's release the 360 sold 500k units.

This july, it sold 440k unit thanks to the new slim.

The new SKU and Reach will push it at least at those levels.

Even without Reach it could reach (yeah, pun) those same levels.

Halo Reach will be highly advertised, thanks to the strongest (that's what Bungie said) ad campaign ever, bigger than Halo 3 (again, this is what they have been saying lately).

In 2007 we had 6m 360. Now they're 20m.

"b-but everyone who likes Halo already has a 360". Yeah sure.

The hardware push could be mininum, but it really isn't needed, since the console is going strong by itself.

onipex

Lebron said:
GAF also said the DS, 360, and Wii would bomb. Ah, good times.

Gaf was right about Wii Music and PSP Go though.

AdventureRacing said:

Well it had a price drop and remodel. We saw how that worked out for the PS3. The question is can the 360 sales stay up to where they are longer.

I fail to see the positive reaction kinect is getting from the public, but if it and move are a success than that might be good for the industry. Well it would be bad for people who don't like motion control.

charlequin said:
It would also be entertaining if Eddie Murphy made a good movie again, but I'm not gonna hold my breath for either one. :D

If he reprised his role as donkey for Kinectimals Barnyard Edition we'd both win!

metareferential said:
During Halo 3's release the 360 sold 500k units.

This july, it sold 440k unit thanks to the new slim.

The new SKU and Reach will push it at least at those levels.

Even without Reach it could reach (yeah, pun) those same levels.

Halo Reach will be highly advertised, thanks to the strongest (that's what Bungie said) ad campaign ever, bigger than Halo 3 (again, this is what they have been saying lately).

In 2007 we had 6m 360. Now they're 20m.

"b-but everyone who likes Halo already has a 360". Yeah sure.

The hardware push could be mininum, but it really isn't needed, since the console is going strong by itself.

I have been one of the main people who has been talking up halo reach's ability to move consoles and sell a shitload of software in general. I have also been quite bullish in my predictions for 360 HW this year.

My post suggested that reach will move HW and that the 360 will have it's best non holiday month ever.

The fact that you get that defensive over my post really shows your motives.

AdventureRacing said:
I have been one of the main people who has been talking up halo reach's ability to move consoles and sell a shitload of software in general. I have also been quite bullish in my predictions for 360 HW this year.

My post suggested that reach will move HW and that the 360 will have it's best non holiday month ever.

The fact that you get that defensive over my post really shows your motives.

I wasn't getting defensive at all.

I was just adding more considerations to your post. I was backing it up, so to say.

The "b-but" line was nothing more than a little joke; in fact, it wasn't directly related to the point you were discussing in the post I quoted.

As I wrote, I don't think Reach will move that many consoles. I'm just sure it will sell incredibly well, even better than Halo 3.

I guess it's just too easy accusing someone because of his avatar, isn't it?

metareferential said:
I wasn't getting defensive at all.

Yeah sure.

metareferential said:
I was just adding more considerations to your post. I was backing it up, so to say.

you're trying to tell me your reply which was like 8 times as long as my original post was just to back it up? Especially when it included the stupid b-b-but line.

metareferential said:
The "b-but" line was nothing more than a little joke; in fact, it wasn't directly related to the point you were discussing in the post I quoted.

Yeah i'm sure it was a joke. You're just trying to revise what you said because i called you out.

metareferential said:
I guess it's just too easy accusing someone because of his avatar, isn't it?

I don't even know what the hell is in your avatar. I judged your post on it's content, and on your previous posts in this thread.

Again i will say what i said before, if anything i have been slanted towards the 360 in sales age threads. The fact that you are getting defensive over my posts says all that is needed.

AdventureRacing said:

I don't want to start up a fight on something this silly.

I'm not revising anything. Just read what I wrote:

The hardware push could be mininum

I don't think Reach will move that many consoles. I'm just sure it will sell incredibly well, even better than Halo 3.

So, if you judge my post solely by its content, you should take these two lines into account.

And yes, about the avatar thing, I was getting defensive, my bad.

Since common sense is generally lacking and pretty often avatars are more important than words, I thought you could have been one of those "kind" people; so I apologize.

The stupid "b-but" line wasn't necessarily directed at you, it wasn't meant to make fun of you.

I hope this settles it.

sphinx said:

SEGA CD, 32X, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3D0, PSP Go, Wii Music, Driver 3, Guitar Hero 5, Beatles Rock Band, DJ Hero, Shenmue... well if we go into software the list is endless.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, advertising helps. It always helps. But it is by no means a guarantee of success. I'm still calling Kincest to be an EyeToy level success. It's not going to take the world by storm, but it'll sell well enough to justify continued support for a while.

diss

Banned
Boney said:
I think you meant wierd.. wierd story :p
It's actually spelt "weird". "i" before "e" except after "c"... and except in "weird".

I'm not saying this to be the spelling nazi :p I made the same mistake for years and years until someone finally bothered to correct me!

jvm

Gamasutra.
diss said:
It's actually spelt "weird". "i" before "e" except after "c"... and except in "weird".
The rule also doesn't work in some foreign words. Albeit it's up to each sovereign state to determine which combination will reign.

Boney

Banned
diss said:

I'm not saying this to be the spelling nazi :p I made the same mistake for years and years until someone finally bothered to correct me!
Oh! You're right, I knew that, but I guess my subconcious tricked me. :p
Thanks though!

jrricky said:
Gaf was? News to me...
It did sell quite a few copies, but it didn't meet anyone's expectations, particularly Nintendo and retailer's. It's quite rare for a Nintendo first-party title to hit the bomba bins in Japan within a month of release, but Wii Music was that special boy.

Haunted

Speaking of "good numbers" and "massive success" for Kinect, can we quantify this stuff before it launches to get some perspective in here?

What'd be "good numbers" for Kinect? At launch, and in the launch window?

I can't think of too many (read: none) comparable product launches to get any sort of sense of what would constitute a success/doing ok/failure, especially with this unique constellation and this far into the current generation.

Haunted said:
Speaking of "good numbers" and "massive success" for Kinect, can we quantify this stuff before it launches to get some perspective in here?

What'd be "good numbers" for Kinect? At launch, and in the launch window?

I can't think of too many (read: none) comparable product launches to get any sort of sense of what would constitute a success/doing ok/failure, especially with this unique constellation and this far into the current generation.
In my books they'd be doing alright if they can sell 3 millionish in NA, 2 millionish in EU, and 10 in JP.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I do remember GAF predicting Heavy Rain would bomb hard.

Top Bottom