• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For June 2010

swanlee597 said:
And how is that any different than what I'm doing? The 360 had a monster month and it is like a desert waste land here and all people can talk about is the PS3? That is my personal spin on this.

PlayStation 3 304.8K
PSP 121.0K
MICROSOFT XBOX 360 FOUR HUNDRED AND FIFTY ONE SEVEN THOUSAND

Wii 422.5K
Nintendo DS 510.7K

HOLY SHIT!!

spwolf said:
why the heck would anything think that? It is just not true at all.

I don't want to add any fuel to that junior's fire, but I'd say that pretty much matches my impression as well, after spending some 2-3 years at this place. Although I wouldn't necessarily say more people here prefer the PS3 or the PC, it's just that those folks are usually somewhat louder than your average Xbox 360 or Wii fan - which is in line with Cheech's earlier remark about GameCube owners last gen.

LosDaddie

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
You tell me.

Awesome. Maybe one day Sony will release the GoW PSP games on PSN. That'll probably be the only way I'll play them.

phisheep said:
No conspiracy. No hivemind.

eh, I probably should've clarified, but I didn't mean there's a GAF hivemind. Just that the majority here prefer one console over another.

Stumpokapow said:
*/dev_flash/pspemu/flash0
*/dev_flash/pspemu/list.txt
*/dev_flash/pspemu/psp_emulator.self
*/dev_flash/pspemu/psp_translator.self

*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/pspnet_adhoc.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/pspnet_adhoc_auth.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/pspnet_adhoc_discover.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/pspnet_adhoc_matching.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/pspnet_adhocctl.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/pspnet_ap_dialog_dummy.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/pspnet_apctl.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/pspnet_inet.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/pspnet_resolver.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/rtc.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/sascore.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/sysmem.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/threadman.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/umd9660.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/umdcache.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/umdman.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/usersystemlib.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/vaudio.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/wlan.sprx

You tell me.

Mmm, potentially :D Sorry I didn't want to suggest that wasn't the case.

Spiegel

Somehow related to this discussion, I find pretty surprising that there isn't a functional emulator for pc yet.

From what I understand the psp architecture shouldn't be hard to emulate.

Pretty standard month. MS has to be happy about beating out the wii for once. I wonder if it's a trend that those two will start to even out at this point, or if it was just slim-related.

Naruto

Most people here seem to be optimistic about SMG2's sales, and while they're definately strong and indicative of great legs, they show how far behind the sequel is compared to its predecesor in the same timespan.
SMG was well over 2 million at that point. Granted, it was released in the holidays and I'm sure its the main reason for the big lead, but sadly, it goes to show that SMG2 will probably sell a little more than half of what the original did.
This saddens me as I think the sequel is far superior and one of the best games I have ever played.
Still, over 1.1 million in a month and a half is great, it's just so far behind most mainline Mario games that it makes you wonder how Nintendo themselves view these figures and what kind of an effect thay will have on them regarding 3D Marios going forward.

Cornbread78

Acheteedo said:
Huh? Best part of every NPD thread is when people put their personal spin on the results.

That's the best part of statistics period. I hate math and statistics, but a good saleman can spin the numbers anyway they want. Just consider each poster a saleman/woman for their console of choice.

It's all fun. Everyone says "Damn, the PSP sales suck," but to me, it's over a 100% sales boost from last month, so it's a step in the right direction...... It's all about Marcus baby!

May numbers:
PlayStation 3 154.5K
PSP 59.4K
Xbox 360 194.6K
Wii 334.8K
Nintendo DS 383.7K

June numbers:
PlayStation 3 304.8K
PSP 121.0K
Xbox 360 451.7K
Wii 422.5K
Nintendo DS 510.7K

Month over month increases:
PS3: 97.3%
PSP: 103.7%
360: 132.1%
Wii: 26.2%
DS: 33.1%

The 360 clearly got a boost from the Slim sales and below clearly boosted the PSP sales this month. 100% MoM increases are great! PS3 sales were also almost at 100% cheer on the sales numbers GAF, try to sell your console, not discredit the others.

Banner from the GAF home page and the mastermind behind the increased PSP sales increase!

PlayStation_PSPbrand_728x90_MarcusFanboy_FINAL.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Spiegel said:
Somehow related to this discussion, I find pretty surprising that there isn't a functional emulator for pc yet.

From what I understand the psp architecture shouldn't be hard to emulate.

Yeah, it's really really weird that the GCN and PS2 are now approaching maturity in terms of emulation (most major games work near-flawlessly, most minor games are playable or partially playable) and yet the OG XBOX and PSP are not just not well emulated, they're barely emulated at all. I think the most recent XBOX emulator can boot 5 games to title screens and the most recent PSP emulate can play 4 or 5 games.

Weird.

LosDaddie

Banned
V_Ben said:
Top 10 VG Console/Portable SKU’s June 2010
Title Platform Publisher Release Date Units
RED DEAD REDEMPTION 360 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE May-10 582.9K
RED DEAD REDEMPTION PS3 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE May-10 380.3K

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't T2 state that RDR already surpassed 5M? Still strong sales. I hope it goes on sale before the end of the year. I really want to play it.

jay

So S&P did poorly. Is there any way Nintendo can retroactively unrelease the game in the States or are we safe?

Baki

swanlee597 said:
And how is that any different than what I'm doing? The 360 had a monster month and it is like a desert waste land here and all people can talk about is the PS3? That is my personal spin on this.

:lol Are you really getting worked up over no-one talking about how awesome 360 sales were this month?

Back on topic, it looks like this month was quite healthy overall in terms of HW sales. Red Dead really is a beast and when its all said and done I expect a 10M - 12M LTD for the title.

I suspect that they've probably shipped 7M copies already.

FrankT

LosDaddie said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't T2 state that RDR already surpassed 5M? Still strong sales. I hope it goes on sale before the end of the year. I really want to play it.

Shipped 5 million, but with 2.5 in the US in the first two months and 600k plus confirmed in the UK it is almost without question they have cleared 4 million plus WW. They could possibly clear that 5 million shipment by next month(if not this month) if I had to guess.

Baki

Jtyettis said:
Shipped 5 million, but with 2.5 in the US in the first two months and 600k plus confirmed in the UK it is almost without question they have cleared 4 million plus WW. They could possibly clear that 5 million shipment by next month(if not this month) if I had to guess.

They're probably close to, if not over 5M WW by now (especially considering these sales are A) month behind. B) Only US and not NA)

SonOfABeep said:
Pretty standard month. MS has to be happy about beating out the wii for once. I wonder if it's a trend that those two will start to even out at this point, or if it was just slim-related.

It was the second time that happened this year (February was the first), but I don't think it's going to continue in the following months. Of course, after Kinect launches that may or may not change. It's going to be interesting either way.

Stumpokapow said:
Yeah, it's really really weird that the GCN and PS2 are now approaching maturity in terms of emulation (most major games work near-flawlessly, most minor games are playable or partially playable) and yet the OG XBOX and PSP are not just not well emulated, they're barely emulated at all. I think the most recent XBOX emulator can boot 5 games to title screens and the most recent PSP emulate can play 4 or 5 games.

Weird.

I don't know about PSP, but Xbox is apparently very hard to emulate.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Stumpokapow said:
Yeah, it's really really weird that the GCN and PS2 are now approaching maturity in terms of emulation
GC is hitching a ride thanks to Wii, and frankly PCSX2 compatibility is still pretty horrible (and even the stuff that works is rarely glitch free).

But anyway, XBox lacked standout software that wasn't already on other platforms(sometimes superior versions). PSP falls into that too I reckon, and it only had 5 years on the market compared to 10 for the others.
Maybe the fact both were/are software-mod pirateable contributed too (GC never was, and PS2 didn't have that until 8 years in or so).

AFreak

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
*/dev_flash/pspemu/flash0
*/dev_flash/pspemu/list.txt
*/dev_flash/pspemu/psp_emulator.self
*/dev_flash/pspemu/psp_translator.self
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release
*/dev_flash/pspemu/flash0/font
*/dev_flash/pspemu/flash0/logo
*/dev_flash/pspemu/flash0/usermodule
*/dev_flash/pspemu/flash0/font/gb3s1518.bwfon
*/dev_flash/pspemu/flash0/font/imagefont.bin
*/dev_flash/pspemu/flash0/font/jpn0.pgf
*/dev_flash/pspemu/flash0/font/kr0.pgf
*/dev_flash/pspemu/flash0/font/ltn0.pgf
... clipped rest of font files...
*/dev_flash/pspemu/flash0/logo/minis_logo.png
*/dev_flash/pspemu/flash0/usermodule/libfont.prx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/flash0/usermodule/libheap.prx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/flash0/usermodule/libpsmfplayer.prx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/adhoc_vshlib.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/audio.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/avcodec.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/ctrl.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/emulator_api.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/emulator_drm.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/g729.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/ifhandle.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/impose.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/iofilemgr.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/iofilemgr_iso.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/isofs.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/libaac.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/libatrac3plus.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/libmp3.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/mediaman.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/mpeg.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/np.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/np_auth.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/np_service.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/PEmuCoreLib.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/psmf.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/pspnet.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/pspnet_adhoc.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/pspnet_adhoc_auth.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/pspnet_adhoc_discover.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/pspnet_adhoc_matching.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/pspnet_adhocctl.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/pspnet_ap_dialog_dummy.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/pspnet_apctl.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/pspnet_inet.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/pspnet_resolver.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/rtc.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/sascore.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/sysmem.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/threadman.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/umd9660.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/umdcache.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/umdman.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/usersystemlib.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/vaudio.sprx
*/dev_flash/pspemu/release/wlan.sprx

You tell me.
not to burst anyone's bubbles, but couldn't this just be code that allows the psone classics to be played on both ps3 and psp or do i not know jackshit?

LosDaddie

Banned
Jtyettis said:

Makes sense. T2 definitely chose the right time for RDR to come out and make a (huge) splash. I can see it hitting 10M by the end of the year. What did Revolver do in sales? Rockstar seems to have another blockbuster, AAA franchise in its stable now

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I wouldn't agree with either of those claims.
To clarify, by outstanding I meant popular.

Using Wiki as reference, there's exactly 2 XBox exclusives in top 19 sellers, and none in top 3. PSP doesn't fare much better unless you count MH games as exclusives.

velvet_nitemare said:
That's a very bold claim.
It is now that you've bolded it.

:p

It's all speculation unless they actually release it at launch.

I'm also not saying that it will be the same hit it is in japan, but if it's a launch title with some advertising, it will sell a million copies, and if it does, then it will get the exposure in the US that it needs to develop in that direction.

Pociask

Naruto said:
Most people here seem to be optimistic about SMG2's sales, and while they're definately strong and indicative of great legs, they show how far behind the sequel is compared to its predecesor in the same timespan.
SMG was well over 2 million at that point. Granted, it was released in the holidays and I'm sure its the main reason for the big lead, but sadly, it goes to show that SMG2 will probably sell a little more than half of what the original did.
This saddens me as I think the sequel is far superior and one of the best games I have ever played.
Still, over 1.1 million in a month and a half is great, it's just so far behind most mainline Mario games that it makes you wonder how Nintendo themselves view these figures and what kind of an effect thay will have on them regarding 3D Marios going forward.

That is the only reason for the large difference. While SMG2 has come out later in the lifespan of the console, and thus long legs might not give it enough time to catch up to the original, it is going to continue selling and selling and selling until the next Wii releases.

Not any of the mainline Mario games made up all their sales in their first two months. This one is not any different.

AFreak said:
not to burst anyone's bubbles, but couldn't this just be code that allows the psone classics to be played on both ps3 and psp or do i not know jackshit?

I was thinking it might be the files for linking PS3 game play using the PSP. Remember the old video of that driving game (GT5 maybe?) with the PSP as the rear view mirror? Could that be what that is?

BTW, I think the PS3 is gaining because more people have HDTVs, more people are interested in Blu Ray now that tons of content is out for it, and Sony has closed the gap on exclusives with the 360. And by gaining I mean the growth in YOY sales, not that they are gaining on the 360 compared to launch. (Cutting Stump off at the knees :p)

Meier

NPD threads and charts just aren't as exciting for me these days. Oh for the days where I kept an excel spreadsheet and updated all Nintendo sales every month. The lack of data makes for a real snooze.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AFreak said:

Do the PS1 classics use Wifi, Ad hoc, the PSP's Mp3 or AAC decoders, etc?

Fafalada said:
But anyway, XBox lacked standout software that wasn't already on other platforms(sometimes superior versions). PSP falls into that too I reckon, and it only had 5 years on the market compared to 10 for the others.

Well, sure, which is why less popular platforms like the Saturn took a while to get emulated, but it's odd that there's no truly active projects for either even taking a stab at it.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
H_Prestige said:
It still blows my mind that Sony doesn't allow PSP games to run on the PS3. Typical Sony being behind the curve.
'Behind the curve' implies their opposition has been offering a similar service... What handheld games does Nintendo allow you to play on Wii?

Stumpokapow said:

Weird.
On the XBOX end, it might be that a lot of the worthwhile games were available elsewhere - including PC versions of Halo 1 - did 2 ever come out? I own 4 XBOX games (I usually used it for XBMC purposes) and 3 of them are available on the PC. I may be just a matter of time until the other one is as well as a steam rerelease or something. For the PSP, a bunch of the worthwhile ones got PS2 ports.

The only real explanation is that no hacker of sufficient enough talent has taken a serious enough interest in doing so. I personally would think that the XBOX would be an easy target as it's PC hardware with a DirectX derivative.

Stumpokapow said:
Well, sure, which is why less popular platforms like the Saturn took a while to get emulated, but it's odd that there's no truly active projects for either even taking a stab at it.

I thought the primary reason for the delay in Saturn emulation was that the Saturn architecture was hell on any attempts emulation?

Shig said:
'Behind the curve' implies their opposition has been offering a similar service... What handheld games does Nintendo allow you to play on Wii?

Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time.

Shig said:

Ok, fine. They're not "behind the curve". They're just skipping a chance to get ahead of the curve. Better?

Pureauthor said:
Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time.

Wii and DS versions are two separate games AFAIK. I'm talking about buying a psp game through the ps store and being able to play it on both psp and ps3. Just like how psone classics work. You don't have to buy two different versions for both systems.

hxa155

Pureauthor said:
I thought the primary reason for the delay in Saturn emulation was that the Saturn architecture was hell on any attempts emulation?

I'd say both reasons are correct.

Shig said:

It's worth noting that the SNES & GCN both had adapters allowing you to throw GB/GBC/GBA games up on the big screen.

hxa155

A Twisty Fluken said:
It's worth noting that the SNES & GCN both had adapters allowing you to throw GB/GBC/GBA games up on the big screen.

you don't need a PS3 to do that for the PSP

Fafalada said:
To clarify, by outstanding I meant popular.

Using Wiki as reference, there's exactly 2 XBox exclusives in top 19 sellers, and none in top 3. PSP doesn't fare much better unless you count MH games as exclusives.

I don't know, both platforms had plenty of exclusive cult favorites, and the emulation community doesn't strike me as something full of people interested only in big mainstream hits.

Nah, I'd say it has more to do with the fact that it's extremely hard to do, at least in Xbox's case. I mean, look at Microsoft's own efforts. They had pretty much all documentation they needed, and even their professional emulation team couldn't come up with a 100% working solution.

Gravijah said:
How will the Sony fanboys deal? :(

With MGS games going to the 3DS? I would assume by buying a 3DS. I know I will, that thing looks amazing. It will be my first Nintendo device since the SNES. I should add that it will also be my very first gaming portable (not including my iPod Touch). For all my Sony love, the PSP has never held much appeal for me. I'm clearly not alone in that regard...

szaromir

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I don't know, both platforms had plenty of exclusive cult favorites, and the emulation community doesn't strike me as something full of people interested only in big mainstream hits.

Nah, I'd say it has more to do with the fact that it's extremely hard to do, at least in Xbox's case. I mean, look at Microsoft's own efforts. They had pretty much all documentation they needed, and even their professional emulation team couldn't come up with a 100% working solution.
Yeah, but that's apparently because of differences in nVidia's and ATi's architectures, which might be fairly easily overcome on vastly superior modern PCs. Though seeing as even Oddworld Inhabitants is struggling with porting Stranger's Wrath, it might not be that simply (they cited original Xbox's DirectX quirks as a reason for porting difficulties).

Still, I'd kill to finally be able to play Phantom Dust (no PAL release) or some other Xbox exclusives in glorious high resolution.

Stumpokapow said:
I'd say the pcsp team is pretty active, their latest wip shows great progress.

BritBloke916 said:
With MGS games going to the 3DS? I would assume by buying a 3DS. I know I will, that thing looks amazing. It will be my first Nintendo device since the SNES. I should add that it will also be my very first gaming portable (not including my iPod Touch). For all my Sony love, the PSP has never held much appeal for me. I'm clearly not alone in that regard...
MGS 3DS to out sell Peace Walker?

Sad thought really.

jvm

Gamasutra.
chubigans said:
I've said this before and I'll say it again: this is not a good idea that makes no sense whatsoever from a dev perspective. Here's why: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20338250&postcount=234
I agree with some of the drawbacks you've outlined, but there are most certainly some bigger devs/pubs for whom this would be a fairly easy process and for which it would be profitable. For example, why wouldn't Konami and Square-Enix consider doing this for a quick cash-in on PSP library titles? I'd presume they have already put some of this administrative expertise into place for PS1 games and UMD Legacy games already on the PS Store.

Zeouterlimits said:
MGS 3DS to out sell Peace Walker?

Sad thought really.

Such is the way of the world. Final Fantasy started out on the NES after all. Maybe Sony will win me over with an astounding PSP2 but I don't see it happening. Especially with the way that third-party software support worked out between the two handhelds this generation.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
SonOfABeep said:

they should win September I would think, with Reach coming out.

Top Bottom