• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For June 2010

Vinci

Danish
Steve Jobs said:
"Just avoid holding it that way"

Man is a god.

Aaron said:
Doubtful since Iwata doesn't make mistakes. He does things that the majority might think are mistakes ("A handheld with two screens? Stoopid!"), and just smiles as he waits for the tremendous success to roll in. Did you see his smile when he was showing off the 3DS at E3? It was like he was saying "Go ahead and doubt me, bitches. Because Nintendo is about to break sales records... again."

Except no one doubts the 3DS. What's really interesting about the 3DS to me is that, according to Iwata, it's the first time that he and Miyamoto worked together on the design of a Nintendo system.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, Mario Kart has progressed beyond funny. This is now entering scary territory...

Quoted for the next page
jvm said:
Top 20 is up!

top-20-jun-2010.png

Someone might want to quote for the next page or something...

EDIT: Haha, beaten

Vinci

Danish
The_Technomancer said:
Okay, Mario Kart has progressed beyond funny. This is now entering scary territory...

I'm a little disappointed that the DS version isn't on there too.

EDIT: And how the hell is WSR still in the Top 20??

Given the PSP's state, did we really, honestly, think MGS would chart? The system is dead. D.E.A.D. in the West.

Edit - On that note, outside of little big planet, when's the last PSP game that charted?

Vinci

Danish
The_Technomancer said:
Oh man, I didn't even notice NSMB DS. Every single month, damnit, every single month

The real story of this NPD: Nintendo needs to release more 2D-style Mario games.

Ridley327

SlipperySlope said:
Given the PSP's state, did we really, honestly, think MGS would chart? The system is dead. D.E.A.D. in the West.
Well, the Final Fantasy games on the PSP do tend to chart, even if they're in the low end of 100K. For a popular franchise like MGS to do significantly worse than that is pretty surprising.

The 360 version of Transformers didn't do too bad, really.

Vinci said:
I'm a little disappointed that the DS version isn't on there too.

EDIT: And how the hell is WSR still in the Top 20??
that's a damn good question. has a bundled game ever done this before?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
8 of the top 20 are Wii games, yet "Wii owners don't buy games."

Vinci

Danish
Plinko said:

Yeah, you can safely ignore anyone who suggests that. You've been able to do so for quite some time.

Big software month for Nintendo - 8 Nintendo published titles in the top 20, 4 additional titles from 3rd parties on Nintendo platforms.

Good month for everyone really on the hardware front.

A shame to not see PW or Alan Wake in the top 20. Two great games.

FrankT

SlipperySlope said:

Edit - On that note, outside of little big planet, when's the last PSP game that charted?

Heck I thought for a great MGS it might hit top 5 or so for the month with not a lot of competition as far new releases per se. But yes this list would cement the fact it is dead.

Plinko said:

Actually they have bought a lot of SW over the years. It has been declining some however, but I don't recall anyone claiming victory as far as SW goes this month. Will be interesting to get the breakdowns.

Spiegel

SlipperySlope said:

MGS is a big franchise and Peace Walker was a game directed by Kojima. PW would have charted even if it was released on Gamecube this year.

I said some months ago that MGS:pW, KH:BBS and GoW:GoS were fucked and now I see I was wrong. It's worse than I thought.

This is just sad. Very sad.

The Technomancer

Vinci said:
Yeah, you can safely ignore anyone who suggests that. You've been able to do so for quite some time.
Notice the three third party Wii games that sold too: all (okay, you can argue Just Dance) quality yet family friendly games with approachable mechanics designed for kids that adults can enjoy as well. Hmmmmmm......

Sipowicz

Banned
Plinko said:

i think it's more that wii owners ignore a good chunk of quality games, particulalry mature or third party ones

The PSP and Wii have the worst audiences for games i've ever seen. I honestly despair of them

Jtyettis said:
Heck I thought for a great MGS it might hit top 5 or so for the month with not a lot of competition as far new releases per se. But yes this list would cement the fact it is dead
had you been at the insanity peppers again?

they may be tasty but they make you think strange things.

Plinko said:

Probably who said that, said it in the context of third parties. No one can deny that Nintendo sell a lot, even that Wii Music crap sold nearly a million, after some months.

Vinci

Danish
Also, along my 2D-style Mario comment earlier... Nintendo better let people know that Donkey Kong and Kirby exist or I'm going to be mighty pissed. Those have a lot of potential in the mainstream market so long as they make that market aware of them.

farnham said:
i believe the meme has changed circa 2007

They buy good Nintendo games, for the most part.

The Technomancer

Vinci said:
Also, along my 2D-style Mario comment earlier... Nintendo better let people know that Donkey Kong and Kirby exist or I'm going to be mighty pissed. Those have a lot of potential in the mainstream market so long as they make that market aware of them.
People saying Kirby won't sell have never met a teenage girl. They love Kirby. Especially with that art style

The_Technomancer said:
Oh man, I didn't even notice NSMB DS. Every single month, damnit, every single month

You can see the demand in the used buy back prices as well. I sold my DS and some games that I was done with recently (I wanted to cash in now for an eventual 3DS purchase) and I was shocked when they gave me like $20+ for NSMB DS. Considering the $35 new price and the usual Gamestop markup the used copies must be coming off the shelve just as fast as they come in.

Vinci said:
Why did you trade in your DS now? Gamestop will inevitably have a DS-to-3DS trade-in special when the system finally comes out. You probably would've gotten more for it through something like that.

It's possible, but they were running a +$25 on all hardware trade in bonus. Seemed to me that even with a "trade up" deal I'd have trouble beating the $70 or so that I got now. Especially considering that's what I see DS lites going for on craigslist recently.

Vinci

Danish
TheFightingFish said:
You can see the demand in the used buy back prices as well. I sold my DS and some games that I was done with recently (I wanted to cash in now for an eventual 3DS purchase) and I was shocked when they gave me like $20+ for NSMB DS. Considering the $35 new price and the usual Gamestop markup the used copies must be coming off the shelve just as fast as they come in.

Why did you trade in your DS now? Gamestop will inevitably have a DS-to-3DS trade-in special when the system finally comes out. You probably would've gotten more for it through something like that.

DeadGzuz said:
Because those Halo fans decided to sit out Halo 3, Halo Wars and ODST?

Maybe I'm off base here, but it's still the second biggest shooter franchise on PS3/360 (behind Call of Duty).

I think MW2 gave the 360 a huge boost, and the PS3 a nice bump IIRC, and it was the 6th CoD game. There has not been a major Halo game released in 3 years. I don't think it will be a massive Halo 3 level boost, but a nice bump definitely.

Polk

Spiegel said:
MGS is a big franchise and Peace Walker was a game directed by Kojima. PW would have charted even if it was released on Gamecube this year.
What were MPO(MPO+) sales in first month?

Vinci

Danish
Reach will sell 360s. Not only is it the first big Halo game in quite a while, but it's actually very expansive based on what they've shown for it and that might very well get people who haven't been interested in it before. We'll see.

Sadist

Snake!? SNAKE!? SSSSSNNNAAAAAAKEEEEE!!!!

:/ Damn, that's just cruel.

Seeing the big brand names working their magic on Wii.

szaromir

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
Bullshit. You know good and well the game releasing on PS3 would choke the life out of the PSP sales.
There's not much left to choke, though.

What retail games are exclusive on 360? Reach, Fable, Kinect titles and something else?
What about PS3 and Wii? I honestly don't know what the current release schedule is like (so many titles from E3 are 2011) and I'm trying to do some predictions. :p This isn't supposed to be list wars.

Reach will sell 360s. Not only is it the first big Halo game in quite a while, but it's actually very expansive based on what they've shown for it and that might very well get people who haven't been interested in it before. We'll see.
I think a lot depends on post release word of mouth, 360's sales spike in Sepetember won't be as noticable as it was in 2007.

Vinci said:

Some 360 owning Halo fans will probably be waiting for Reach before picking up a Slim in case there's a bundle.

Not that I'm thinking of doing that or anything *shifty*

Top Bottom