• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2007

RPS37

Kevar said:
There's only 28,800 profiles connected to Shadowrun. That's after half a month. And I know MGC numbers can't be used for sales for several reasons, but since it's an online-only game and all .. to crack 50,000 in the first day would mean a lot of people are playing with bots.

And it's online only.....
Wait. You just implied that. Sorry.

Sharp

GarthVaderUK said:
Nintendo's Wii Extends Lead, Sells 338,000 Units in May in U.S.

By Dina Bass

June 14 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co.'s Wii video-game console extended its lead over Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360, selling 338,000 machines in the U.S. in May.

The PlayStation 3 sold 81,000 units and the Xbox 360 sold 155,000 machines, according to data compiled by Port Washington, New York-based market researcher NPD Group Inc. and provided by Microsoft. Nintendo's Wii has outsold the competition since it was released in November.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=SNE:US&sid=al_jVeWnhvSA
Uh oh.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Just a quick summary of what we know so far (for the lazy):

HW (in order of sales)
----
1. DS - 423k
2. WII - 338k
3. PSP - ???
4. PS2 - ???
5. X360 - 155k
6. PS3 - 81k
?. GBA - ???

Software (in order of sales)
--------------------------------
1. Pokemon Diamond—DS—Nintendo 331.2k
2. Mario Party 8—Wii—Nintendo ???
3. Spider-Man 3—PS2—Activision ???
4. Pokemon Pearl—DS—Nintendo ???
5. Wii Play w/remote—Wii—Nintendo ???
6. Forza Motorsport 2—Xbox 360—Microsoft ???
7. Guitar Hero II w/guitar—Xbox 360—Activision ???
8. Spider-Man 3—Xbox 360—Activision ???
9. Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars—Xbox 360—Electronic Arts ???
10. Guitar Hero II w/guitar—PS2—Activision ???

GarthVaderUK said:

By Dina Bass

June 14 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co.'s Wii video-game console extended its lead over Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360, selling 338,000 machines in the U.S. in May.

The PlayStation 3 sold 81,000 units and the Xbox 360 sold 155,000 machines, according to data compiled by Port Washington, New York-based market researcher NPD Group Inc. and provided by Microsoft. Nintendo's Wii has outsold the competition since it was released in November.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=SNE:US&sid=al_jVeWnhvSA

Oh shit, they're in Port Washington? I'm picking them up myself next month.

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, the Elite is a terrible idea. The 360 needs a price drop stat - no later than September.

i don't expect to see a drop till early next year... i think they'll try to get as much as they can out of halo 3 and the holiday season and then drop it. it makes sense... sort of.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Fuzzy said:
But this is an NPD thread so discussing other sales data is OT and you should be banned for it.

I just wanted some attention. :(

cvxfreak said:
I don't think GC ever outsold PS2 in any given month in any given territory.

I guess. I just remembered some press release saying that Nintendo sold a ton of GC when it dropped to $99. (I think it was probably a UK release, I dunno)

Muppet345

Brimstone said:
Collateral didn't make much more than $100 million at the US Box Office, yet that is a favorite movie of mine.
That's uh .. a ton of money, dude.

Anyway, I like how your song is changing. From "HUGE SUCCESS! IT WILL BE BIGGER THAN COUNTERSTRIKE!" to "SALES DON'T MEAN ANYTHING!"

Chiggs

GarthVaderUK said:

Nice, not too bad of a drop for the PS3. The 360, on the otherhand, needs a ****ing price drop pronto.

Threi

notag
GarthVaderUK said:

By Dina Bass

HOLY SHIT.

USD

cvxfreak said:
I don't think GC ever outsold PS2 in any given month in any given territory.
GC never outsold PS2. XBox only managed to outsell PS2 in the second half of 04, because of PS2 slimline shortages + Halo 2.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
GarthVaderUK said:

By Dina Bass

Well Bugger me, I was only 10k off 360, 1k off PS3, oh......
and 70k off Wii, heh

Other handheld sales data? (Oh and Ps2 to complete our prediction fest), we need to know if the GBA/PS3 battle raged on!

Also note, the 360 sold roughly 2x the PS3, which was outsold by just over 2x by the Wii, scary.

C4Lukins

GarthVaderUK said:

By Dina Bass

Ok that is it for 360. No waiting for E3. Do it tomorrow.

GarthVaderUK said:

By Dina Bass

So the Premium really is the new tard pack. It also seems like the PS3 bottomed out.

To those too lazy to read, the numbers are:

Wii: 338,000
360: 155,000
PS3: 81,000

USD

Wow. Those numbers just confirmed that the Elite was the dumbest idea ever. Drop that shit now Microsoft if you know what's good for you.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
GarthVaderUK said:

By Dina Bass

The Patch fails!

Again!

909er

Wow, just what the hell is MS doing? Between the high price and the Elite shortages, it looks like they're trying to sabotage their own system.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MightyHedgehog said:
Wowza! X360 actually lost some ground there for the month while PS3 only lost a smidgen. Time to drop that price, MS.

Another sorry showing for next-gen. If 360 and PS3 are the "next-gen" systems (re tech, don't mean that as a knock on Wii), I think we can go back to referring to it as "next" or "never" rather than current gen.

Never-Gen FTL.

hyp

ahh NPD day. the day when wii graphics don't matter.

360 and PS3 sold horribly. MS is straight retarded for not dropping the price while the PS3 is bleeding to death.

Chiggs

C4Lukins said:
Ok that is it for 360. No waiting for E3. Do it tomorrow.

MS Attitude: "Who cares if we're losing ground! We beat the PS3!!!!! Again!!!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Idiots. They deserve to lose.

Haunted

Amazing numbers for Wii, harsh numbers for both 360 and PS3. I'm calling it right now - a 100$ pricedrop by MS announced at E3 that Sony can't (or won't) follow, will seal the deal for the PS3 in NA.

I'm not going to bed until I know who won the grudge match, though. :D (1:30 AM here)

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Kevar said:
That's uh .. a ton of money, dude.

Anyway, I like how your song is changing. From "HUGE SUCCESS! IT WILL BE BIGGER THAN COUNTERSTRIKE!" to "SALES DON'T MEAN ANYTHING!"

Counter-Strike on the first X-Box console was around 500,000 sold and even today is the third most played online game on X-Box 1.

If anyone has the historical sales data for Counter-Strike on X-Box, I would appreciate if someone could post it.

Mrbob

Time for those ECW chants MS.

"YOU ****ED UP!" "YOU ****ED UP!" "YOU ****ED UP!"

So yeah. 4 games in the top 10. 155K hardware sales. Something isn't adding up.

I thought I lowballed the X360 with my prediction, and it was even worse.

GhaleonEB

MightyHedgehog said:
Wowza! X360 actually lost some ground there for the month while PS3 only lost a smidgen. Time to drop that price, MS.
The 360 has dropped 20,000 units each month since the Elite was announced/released.

199k --> 174k --> 155k

Way to go, Microsoft! Raising prices FTL.

I'm thinking they gotta cut prices at E3, **** waiting until September or later. The bottom is dropping out.

I still cannot believe this. Microsoft actually tried to shoot one of its own foot and actually hit both of them. :lol

They are doing worse now than last year, IIRC.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Chiggs said:
MS Attitude: "Who cares if we're losing ground! We beat the PS3!!!!! Again!!!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

If this is truly the attitude they have, you are so ****ing right they deserve to lose. Someone is clearly not thinking right in Redmond. Drop the mother****ing price!

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Chiggs said:

Indeed, they can't even claim software supremacy this month, I can't wait to see Sony spin their way out of this one too, last month they didn't even refer to PS3, this month...I can see them not referring to much at all, except that PS2 outsold 360, which is hardly an achievement.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
PS3 doing this badly with the high price and no real game selection is understandable... but what's the X360s excuse?

It sure as shit cannot be the games, because it has a great lineup. Is the price still too high then?

If they don't announce a price drop lik E3 at the latest, then MS deserves to fail.

reilo said:
PS3 doing this badly with the high price and no real game selection is understandable... but what's the X360s excuse?

It sure as shit cannot be the games, because it has a great lineup. Is the price still too high then?

Ps3 fans should really drop that line of thought. It's so bad it hurts.

Mrbob said:
Time for those ECW chants MS.

"YOU ****ED UP!" "YOU ****ED UP!" "YOU ****ED UP!"

So yeah. 4 games in the top 10. 155K hardware sales. Something isn't adding up.

I don't think I've ever seen a console with hardware sales that are almost completely ambivalent to big software releases. The software does do well, but there's almost never a hardware spike. Even when Gears came out, the hardware spike was minimal.

909er

Agent Icebeezy said:
If this is truly the attitude they have, you are so ****ing right they deserve to lose. Someone is clearly not thinking right in Redmond. Drop the mother****ing price!

I hope this convinces MS to drop the Elite to $400, Premium to $300 and add a memory card to the Tard pack and drop it to $200 at E3.

Top Bottom