• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2007

C4Lukins

Chiggs said:
MS Attitude: "Who cares if we're losing ground! We beat the PS3!!!!! Again!!!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Idiots. They deserve to lose.

It almost does seem that way. Maybe Peter Moore has already written out the press release where the 360 drops its price after the PS3, and brags about being on the market for 20 plus month without a drop, and he just does not want to rewrite. That lazy drunk bastard.

CreatureX3 said:
Great showing again for Nintendo! :D So what are the worldwide numbers now? Is the Wii close to surpassing the 360 yet?

I have Wii at:
JP - 2.60m
NA - 3.06m
PAL - 2.04m
WW - 7.7m

and X360 at:
JP - 0.37m
NA - 5.97m
PAL - 3.35m
WW - 9.7m

Getting closer...

Game-Biz

Well, MS will probably drop the price near the release of Halo, so hopefully then the 360 can pick up some momentum.

Oh, and Sony is ****in' screwed. No way can they change things around. Although, the PSP is still doing quite well.

And needless to say, the Wii is a muther****ing beast. Holy shit.

Mario Party 8 in 2nd place? WTF.

Kujo

Hopefully we get some 360 Elite numbers like we did last month. I wonder if the Premium dipped below 100k...

Stop It said:
Indeed, they can't even claim software supremacy this month, I can't wait to see Sony spin their way out of this one too, last month they didn't even refer to PS3, this month...I can see them not referring to much at all, except that PS2 outsold 360, which is hardly an achievement.

The PSP outsold everything that's not new-gen Nintendo.

909er

reilo said:
PS3 doing this badly with the high price and no real game selection is understandable... but what's the X360s excuse?

It sure as shit cannot be the games, because it has a great lineup. Is the price still too high then?

Price, but I bet that MS would have at least sold in line with last month if ppl could actually get an Elite.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
soundwave05 said:
I don't think I've ever seen a console with hardware sales that are almost completely ambivalent to big software releases. The software does do well, but there's almost never a hardware spike. Even when Gears came out, the hardware spike was minimal.

This isn't a novel insight, but the only software that will move the 360 is Halo (a lot) and, to a lesser extent, GTA. All this great software (Forza, etc.) is largely unknown to the masses and (another novel insight) the price is still too high.

Mrbob

soundwave05 said:
I don't think I've ever seen a console with hardware sales that are almost completely ambivalent to big software releases. The software does do well, but there's almost never a hardware spike. Even when Gears came out, the hardware spike was minimal.

Well the answer is pretty obvious, but I don't know if anyone will say it. So I will. :D

Xbox 360 has the software, but its brand just can't penetrate mainstream appeal. At least not yet.

Brimstone said:
Counter-Strike on the first X-Box console was around 500,000 sold and even today is the third most played online game on X-Box 1.

If anyone has the historical sales data for Counter-Strike on X-Box, I would appreciate if someone could post it.

Who gives a shit about Counter-Strike on the X-box? :lol :lol

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Merovingian said:
If they don't announce a price drop lik E3 at the latest, then MS deserves to fail.

Ps3 fans should really drop that line of thought. It's so bad it hurts.

What? So the X360 is doing just fine then with another sub-200k month? Maybe excuse was the bad word to use, but that doesn't change the fact that both Sony and Microsoft need to get their shit together and start actually, you know, competing?

sbiwata.jpg

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
ComputerNerd said:
They did it last month too. And probably the month before that. And perhaps the month before that.

Nope, just last month and the PS3 sold 130k in March.

hyp

Mrbob said:
Well the answer is pretty obvious, but I don't know if anyone will say it. So I will. :D

Xbox 360 has the software, but its brand just can't penetrate mainstream appeal. At least not yet.

definitely not a bad thing if you ask me. :)

soundwave05 said:

? What? 360 was the best selling system in the fall.

So, the figures for the past few months look something like:

Wii
March -- 259k
April -- 360k
May -- 338k

Xbox 360
March -- 199k
April -- 174k
May -- 155k

PS3
March -- 130k
April -- 82k
May -- 81k

PS2
March -- 280k
April -- 194k
May -- ??

DS
March -- 508k
April -- 471k
May -- 423k

PSP
March -- 180k
April -- 183k
May -- ??

I'm going to guess that the final figures will show a further slump in PS2 sales with the PSP maintaining 180-190 and only squeaking past.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
soundwave05 said:

360 is stuck in a rut, the people who have bought it are the more "serious" side of the gamer market, they buy the console early, and pick up many, many titles, great for software sales/ tie ratios, but it severely limits the hardware sales as it also means that 360 is only appealing to a distinct sub-set of the market, and they mostly have the 360 by now.

If Microsoft want to shift more units, they need to break the perception that the 360 isn't a casual friendly system, until they do that, they are destined to sell 30-40M worldwide LTD come 2011 and only be a modest success.

Mrbob said:

I think it's the price that can't penetrate. I think they're done a pretty good job getting the brand out there. The big Madden billboard in Times Square is of a 360 box. That kind of stuff, and the Burger King shit, and all that, puts the brand in a decent position. It's just too ****ing expensive.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Nothing too surprising except for the 360- that's effing horrible for a system with that kind of lineup.

Horrid

One other thought- unless Europe is getting 400K a month, then Nintendo isn't shipping a million Wii's a month.

155K for the 360 is just horrible, cast iron proof that both the Elite was a retarded move and that a price drop was needed yesterday.

I thought Wii would be a little higher but they're still phenomenal sales when compared to the competition, PS3 is awful as usual but it could have been a whole lot worse.

Game-Biz

watership said:
Are you for real? 400 dollar console vs 120 dollar console.

Come on.
Yeah, but...Halo 3 is coming out soon -- the public should be buying 360s out of sheer excitement...

Ah, **** it. The price will drop soon enough.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BenjaminBirdie said:
I think it's the price that can't penetrate. I think they're done a pretty good job getting the brand out there. The big Madden billboard in Times Square is of a 360 box. That kind of stuff, and the Burger King shit, and all that, puts the brand in a decent position. It's just too ****ing expensive.

Yup. I don't even think the hardware failures are much of an impediment either (i.e., very few people outside of message boards know about them). I also don't get all the "OMG ELITE WAS A BAD IDEA!!"-talk. It's got very little to do with the sales; it certainly hasn't helped them but the simple fact is that the entry point for a 360 is still too high.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Someone in editorial, please ask why they aren't dropping the price? They are getting their teeth kicked in by the Wii. Ask them to stop smoking the crack while they are on it.

Game-Biz said:
Yeah, but...Halo 3 is coming out soon -- the public should be buying 360s out of sheer excitement...

Ah, **** it. The price will drop soon enough.

Oh shit that's right! Crackdown and the Halo 3 beta didn't make a ****in' dent!

:lol

reilo said:
What? So the X360 is doing just fine then with another sub-200k month? Maybe excuse was the bad word to use, but that doesn't change the fact that both Sony and Microsoft need to get their shit together and start actually, you know, competing?

Obviouslly, but the wording you used didn't sound like the wording you are using now. The price is too ****ing high for both, man the 360 already sucked dry the 400$ price, it's time to lower the damn thing. And Ps3, dude, below 100k with N.A + JPN? Drop the damn price.

MS is the really weird one, because...it's 1,5 year into the console lifespan, it's time to drop the price.

Kintaro said:
Just more proof price is the determining factor.

Just more proof people can't deal witht he reality that Nintendo is outputting games more people want to play, so they just put the entirety of the onus on the price, instead of attributing some of the poor sales to Sony's and Microsoft's unimaginative, primitive notions about what games are and what they should become.

I have a feeling that Microsoft won't drop the price this year but simply just release some sort of limited edition Halo 3 bundled SKU around November and then drop the price early next year. Halo 3 will carry the 360 through the holiday and a price drop early next year will help keep momentum.

GhaleonEB

brain_stew said:
155K for the 360 is just horrible, cast iron proof that both the Elite was a retarded move and that a price drop was needed yesterday.
This cannot be said enough. The Elite was a terrible idea, and the market is punishing Microsoft for it. Their software lineup is just incredible, but the price is wrong and the SKU mix is FUBAR. Drop. The. Price.

Top Bottom