• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2007

Wollan

Earthstrike said:
Just more proof people can't deal witht he reality that Nintendo is outputting games more people want to play, so they just put the entirety of the onus on the price, instead of attributing some of the poor sales to Sony's and Microsoft's unimaginative, primitive notions about what games are and what they should become.

For this to be true Nintendo would have to release games.

Jokeropia

schuelma said:
One other thought- unless Europe is getting 400K a month, then Nintendo isn't shipping a million Wii's a month.
Europe got larger shipments than usual this month due to Mario Strikers.

GeoramA

Wii - Gotta be because it's $250. People can't still be amazed by waggle, right?

360 - Selling that low in the only market that gives a rat's ass about the 360 is a very bad sign.

PS3 - Hey Sony, the mainstream public aren't going to plop down $600 for a gaming console. Nice going retards.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Merovingian said:
Obviouslly, but the wording you used didn't sound like the wording you are using now. The price is too ****ing high for both, man the 360 already sucked dry the 400$ price, it's time to lower the damn thing. And Ps3, dude, below 100k with N.A + JPN? Drop the damn price.

MS is the really weird one, because...it's 1,5 year into the console lifespan, it's time to drop the price.

Yea, I shouldn't have used excuse, but the point still stands.

The time to drop the price for the X360 was 3 months ago (~18months into its lifecycle, its at 20 months now).

When did the PS2 have its first price drop? What about Xbox1?

909er

Earthstrike said:
Just more proof people can't deal witht he reality that Nintendo is outputting games more people want to play, so they just put the entirety of the onus on the price, instead of attributing some of the poor sales to Sony's and Microsoft's unimaginative, primitive notions about what games are and what they should become.

Are you serious? No one is denying the Wii's appeal, but do you honestly believe a $100 price drop on the 360 SKUs woudln't boost its sales significantly?

NekoFever

GarthVaderUK said:
Nintendo Co.'s Wii video-game console extended its lead over Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360, selling 338,000 machines in the U.S. in May.

The PlayStation 3 sold 81,000 units and the Xbox 360 sold 155,000 machines, according to data compiled by Port Washington, New York-based market researcher NPD Group Inc. and provided by Microsoft.
5xhqypi.jpg

MS is insane not to drop the price now. They're doing well compared to the PS3, but are fast throwing away their position with these mediocre sales month after month. If they don't drop the price at E3 and expect to limp the rest of the way to September and hope that one game will dramatically increase the number of people willing to spend $400, they could throw it away completely. Sony threw it away last E3, conversely.

I still have a sinking feeling that they're not going to move until Sony do rather than take a golden opportunity to twist the knife. They're too myopic to notice the way things are going as long as hardware costs are heading into the black and Sony is floundering.

kassatsu

Banned
Oblivion said:
Holy shit, another month where PS3 sales in NA + Japan < 100k.
Eh?

81000K (US May NPD)
12974K (Media Create Sales 4/30 - 5/6)
8659K (Media Create Sales 5/14 - 5/20)
9627K (Media Create Sales 5/21 - 5/27)
8998K (Media Create Sales 5/28 - 6/3)
------------

rage1973

Fio Maravilha said:
lol, PS3 am dead X360 am dying
Pretty much. Microsoft really does only seem to care about beating Sony at this point. They have great games coming out every month but they seem to be making stupid moves after stupid moves.

Game-Biz

Agent Icebeezy said:
Someone in editorial, please ask why they aren't dropping the price? They are getting their teeth kicked in by the Wii. Ask them to stop smoking the crack while they are on it.
How bad does a price drop affect Microsoft's chances of actually making a profit in the future?

Maybe a $50 price drop would make since. But is a $50 price drop good enough for a real difference?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Canadian NPD when compared to US NPD.

April / May

DS - 7.41% / 8.49%
PS3 - 8.78% / 8.02%
Wii - 11.69% / 11.04%
Xbox 360 - 7.36% / 7.94%

AstroLad said:
Another sorry showing for next-gen. If 360 and PS3 are the "next-gen" systems (re tech, don't mean that as a knock on Wii), I think we can go back to referring to it as "next" or "never" rather than current gen.

Never-Gen FTL.
Yeah, it's not lookin' all that good at the moment.

GhaleonEB said:
The 360 has dropped 20,000 units each month since the Elite was announced/released.

199k --> 174k --> 155k

Way to go, Microsoft! Raising prices FTL.

I'm thinking they gotta cut prices at E3, **** waiting until September or later. The bottom is dropping out.
I agree. Time to announce the $100 price cut to all SKUs in time for E3 as MS has first conference. I can see that they're trying to hang on to whatever slim profit margin they've got (if they have one factoring in busted ones) for as long as possible in an effort to hit profitability by end of fiscal year...but after about nineteen months at the same price (or at an even higher price thanks to the Elite SKU), that rock has been bled dry. Time to accelerate their price drop plans if they were planning on holding at current levels until August or whenever. Now is not the time to start slipping despite the fact that they're averaging twice the units sales per week (in Canada and the US) of the PS3. Wii is just unstoppable. DS is, well, DS. And PSP has gained nicely thanks to the price drop.

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
I have a feeling that Microsoft won't drop the price this year but simply just release some sort of limited edition Halo 3 bundled SKU around November and then drop the price early next year. Halo 3 will carry the 360 through the holiday and a price drop early next year will help keep momentum.

Nah I think MS and Sony will both drop by $100 this year. They really have no choice.

Nintendo could drop by $50, but I doubt it. They'll just release new colors and maybe a new limited run software bundle.

Dizzan

MINI Member
PS3 performed better than I expected considering the shorter month(4 weeks as opposed to Aprils 5)

Considering there were no big games released. I predicted around 60 000.

I think it may reach 90 000 next month and 100 000 plus from Setember onwards.

I dont think Sony is too worried. PS2 revenue is HUGE and the PSP is really coming along.

They have a brand loyalty that other companies can only dream of and the PS3 will benefit from this in the long term. ie when the fricken price drops

Earthstrike said:

Even the PS2 sold the most units (I think it's over 70%) when it was $199 and lower. Price is the most important reason.

schuelma said:
Nothing too surprising except for the 360- that's effing horrible for a system with that kind of lineup.

Horrid

One other thought- unless Europe is getting 400K a month, then Nintendo isn't shipping a million Wii's a month.

Hmmm, this is interesting. Japan sells what 75k a week roughly? So that's 300K a month. Na seems to be constant at what we can call 350k a month, And that leaves 350k a month for Europe. Seems reasonable, and given the nature of statistical deviation, seems entirely plausible.

iammeiam

Earthstrike said:
Just more proof people can't deal witht he reality that Nintendo is outputting games more people want to play so they just put the entirety of the onus on the price, instead of unimaginative, primitive notions about what games are and what they should become.

There's a difference between "Not beating Nintendo" and "Oh My God Why Aren't These Consoles Selling?" The PS3 and 360 fall into the latter catagory, and price has to be a huge factor there. That's not to say that a price cut would mean either console could beat the Wii, but people would start, like, buying them again.

It's not just games--the price point helps the Wii a lot (and Nintendo deserves credit for being the only company really aware of the impact of the price point on the consumer, so I'm not trying to belittle the Wii here), and is hurting the competition. $250 for Wii Sports is an entirely seperate realm of dollars from $600 (well, $660) for Motostorm or $400 ($460) for Gears or whatever.

reilo said:
Yea, I shouldn't have used excuse, but the point still stands.

The time to drop the price for the X360 was 3 months ago (~18months into its lifecycle, its at 20 months now).

When did the PS2 have its first price drop? What about Xbox1?

Last gen EVERYBODY had their price drop at E3 2002, aka May 2002.

However, while GC and Xbox had November releases (2001), PS2 was released october 2000.

Threi

notag
Earthstrike said:

Yeah...but price is still the determining factor.

ksamedi

reilo said:
PS3 doing this badly with the high price and no real game selection is understandable... but what's the X360s excuse?

It sure as shit cannot be the games, because it has a great lineup. Is the price still too high then?

It has a decent lineup, but it needs more diversity. I think thats the main problem. Atleast thats the reason why i didnt by one.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
sonycowboy said:
Don't expect any other numbers than Bloomberg's (which came by way of Microsoft) and Gamedailys (came from ???) .
I'm counting on a Nintendo PR to give us GBA.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
MightyHedgehog said:
Yeah, it's not lookin' all that good at the moment.

I agree. Time to announce the $100 price cut to all SKUs in time for E3 as MS has first conference. I can see that they're trying to hang on to whatever slim profit margin they've got (if they have one factoring in busted ones) for as long as possible in an effort to hit profitability by end of fiscal year...but after about nineteen months at the same price (or at an even higher price thanks to the Elite SKU), that rock has been bled dry. Time to accelerate their price drop plans if they were planning on holding at current levels until August or whenever. Now is not the time to start slipping despite the fact that they're averaging twice the units sales per week (in Canada and the US) of the PS3. Wii is just unstoppable. DS is, well, DS. And PSP has gained nicely thanks to the price drop.

Time to drop the Core and go with two SKUs (three is FUBAR, two is confusing as it is) AND $100 price drops.

duk

Banned
I really think MS needs to focus the core system more at the Wii.

They have a two tiered sku line up to battle both Wii and PS3 and they aren't using them appropriately.

Cut the price on the 360 stat and make it up on the extra software sales. Just a quick $50 for now and another $50 when Halo debuts. Get that install base alot more solid!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
kassatsu said:
Eh?

81000K (US May NPD)
12974K (Media Create Sales 4/30 - 5/6)
8659K (Media Create Sales 5/14 - 5/20)
9627K (Media Create Sales 5/21 - 5/27)
8998K (Media Create Sales 5/28 - 6/3)
------------

Whoops. :lol for some reason I forgot that those were weeklys.

Anyway, this thread needs more gifs!

4mj5qpg.gif

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
fly high ~ayunite~ said:
I have a feeling that Microsoft won't drop the price this year but simply just release some sort of limited edition Halo 3 bundled SKU around November and then drop the price early next year. Halo 3 will carry the 360 through the holiday and a price drop early next year will help keep momentum.

They deserve to get their ass kicked if they do that. I love everything about the console, but the people behind it are some dumb mother****ers. That is the honest to goodness truth. The Playstation brand is the weakest it's ever been and they are seemingly happy to be peddling these bullshit numbers. I seriously can't fathom this.

909er said:
Are you serious? No one is denying the Wii's appeal, but do you honestly believe a $100 price drop on the 360 SKUs woudln't boost its sales significantly?
Of course it would boost sales. But it would also boost MS deeper into the red with greater losses. That is the reason why we haven't seen a price drop yet.

MS have said they are determined to get the Xbox division into the black this year. A price drop now would shatter those plans.

C4Lukins

GhaleonEB said:
This cannot be said enough. The Elite was a terrible idea, and the market is punishing Microsoft for it. Their software lineup is just incredible, but the price is wrong and the SKU mix is FUBAR. Drop. The. Price.

The Elite is a fine idea as a Limited Edition thing, but I cannot imagine how they were expecting it to increase sales signifigantly, and use it as a permanent third SKU. It is made all the worse for those who are actually waiting to buy the thing and it cannot be found anywhere.

The biggest problem with it is shelf space. My local Best Buy has the exact space allocated to display two different 360 boxes, unless they are doing one of those holliday pyramids from hell. I cannot understand how Microsoft thinks that retailers are going to display all of these different boxes when they make so little off of harware sales.

Wollan

titiklabingapat said:
I see this as Wollan melting down cause I hardly see you post anything else, not even a stealth troll to other systems :p

More like, my Wii console is dusting down and I wouldn't mind Metroid tomorrow.

sonycowboy said:
Don't expect any other numbers than Bloomberg's (which came by way of Microsoft) and Gamedailys (came from ???) .

Is this going to be like this month after month now? If so...I have some unpleasant things to say about NPD.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
sonycowboy said:
But what about GBA? :(

Top Bottom