• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official July 2007 NPD Prediction Thread

Draft

Frillen said:
Matt: Expect Wii sales to be the best ever in July. Beating out DS for the first time. Two and a half times Xbox 360, the nearest next-gen console competitor.

IGN Boards

He knows the numbers.
That'd be nuts. At least 300k. Gotta be some sort of record for July, and definitely the nail in the coffin of X360 or PS3 ever accomplishing anything but champion of Wii's table scraps.

argon

Wii > DS? Wow, how much did Wii sell!?

Maybe DS sales somehow dropped..

Looks like it may be Wii > DS > PSP > PS2 >> 360 > PS3

July surprise indeed.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Draft said:
That'd be nuts. At least 300k. Gotta be some sort of record for July, and definitely the nail in the coffin of X360 or PS3 ever accomplishing anything but champion of Wii's table scraps.

More than that..let's say 360 did 150K. That would put Wii at 425K. Holy Shit

Evlar

Banned
Frillen said:
Matt: Expect Wii sales to be the best ever in July. Beating out DS for the first time. Two and a half times Xbox 360, the nearest next-gen console competitor.

IGN Boards

He knows the numbers.

Wii>DS

360>PS3
It would look something like:

Wii: 425k
DS: ~410k
360: 170k
PS3: ~160k

I guess that's not completely impossible. Still I traditionally assume Matt is full of shit unless demonstrated otherwise.

schuelma

The Sphinx said:
It would look something like:

Wii: 425k
DS: ~410k
360: 170k
PS3: ~160k

I guess that's not completely impossible. Still I traditionally assume Matt is full of shit unless demonstrated otherwise.

Well...he does get the numbers. I doubt he's making it up.

Talamius

If true that is absolutely crushing for Sony. This was their best shot this year. They won't get another good opportunity until '08.

Parl

dextran said:
the numbers are today, right?
Yes. Unless you're a German. Then it's tomorrow.

Talamius said:
If true that is absolutely crushing for Sony. This was their best shot this year. They won't get another good opportunity until '08.

And that opportunity will be? Let's wait till MGS4.

D3MO

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I'm going to miss this place.
Well except for BloodAdo, he can go dive into a trashcan for all I care.

Kidding!

For the right price I'll dive into a trashcan

$2,500

not kidding

Talamius

Parl said:
And that opportunity will be? Let's wait till MGS4.

Pretty much...barring some Black Friday madness. Edit: And I'm talking $199 PS3 (not happening) madness.

It may simply be too little too late.

schuelma said:
Well...he does get the numbers. I doubt he's making it up.

Indeed.

If that's the case, the official NPD thread is going to be complete carnage.

I don't think anyone seriously thought the PS3 would sell less than the Xbox 360.

*orders a huge bag of popcorn*

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I wonder how many 360's were purchased by people that couldnt wait to get their broken ones back... especially august for the madden/bioshock wave and then halo as well as the following week

methane47

I dont know...

last time we were expecting Epic NPD numbers (february i believe) Sonycowboy got the numbers and his post (before actually shared the number) seemed really down and sad.. and hinted towards the 360 beating out the PS3 (which happened thoroughly)

Tonite though... he doesn't sound so gloom about it..

I'm going to go out on a limb and say....
I'll wait for the numbers

Parl

Talamius said:
Pretty much...barring some Black Friday madness. Edit: And I'm talking $199 PS3 (not happening) madness.

It may simply be too little too late.

War hasn't changed.

I was pretty sure that the 360 would just about edge it out over the PS3 for July, then Pachter went and made his predictions and suddenly my world turned upside down. How could my prediction come true when the Prophet of the Console Gods had spoken!

Now Matt Cassabellamania has come out and said this...I'm not sure what to think. Rest assured I'll be F5ing Gaf come 11.30pm (UK) It looks like its going to be a long 'ole night.

Opus Angelorum said:
Indeed.

If that's the case, the official NPD thread is going to be complete carnage.

I don't think anyone seriously thought the PS3 would sell less than the Xbox 360.

*orders a huge bag of popcorn*

There's a great gourmet place in TImes Square. Think I'll get a large bag of Kettle on the way home. By the time I get in at 6:45 I expect twenty-eight pages of official NPD to sift through.

:D

Razoric

Banned
Malleymal said:
I wonder how many 360's were purchased by people that couldnt wait to get their broken ones back... especially august for the madden/bioshock wave and then halo as well as the following week

damage control already? at least wait for the numbers to come out first. :lol

mildewproduction

Sony
4Chan20070819200117.gif

Before the price cut the 360 was outselling the PS3 2:1

Soooo.....

As the price cut came half way through the month the PS3 would have to sell 4 times the amount the 360 did to draw level with it for the month.

N'Gai Croal has promised the return of his Monday Morning Quarterback discussion on the NPD results. That should be quite interesting, to say the least.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Razoric said:
damage control already? at least wait for the numbers to come out first. :lol

??? i just have a 360.. and no intentions of getting a ps3... wtf u talking about?

edit, i dont care about numbers, I just come here for the gifs

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Don't know about owned. Obviously it is very hard to make a decent dent when you're still at 500. Considering the price, sales for PS3 are good. Obviously not Wii levels but that system is half the price. Either way, only forum fanboys and instigators will see this as a bad thing. As long as SNE can keep competetive with the prices then it's good. At least better than a sub-100k month.

schuelma

LiquidMetal14 said:
Don't know about owned. Obviously it is very hard to make a decent dent when you're still at 500. Considering the price, sales for PS3 are good. Obviously not Wii levels but that system is half the price. Either way, only forum fanboys and instigators will see this as a bad thing. As long as SNE can keep competetive with the prices then it's good. At least better than a sub-100k month.

Yeah but its not going to be competitive the rest of the year...it just isn't.

verplant

mr_bishiuk said:
Before the price cut the 360 was outselling the PS3 2:1

Soooo.....

As the price cut came half way through the month the PS3 would have to sell 4 times the amount the 360 did to draw level with it for the month.

The price cut didn't came half way through the month... it came in the 1st week.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
tanod said:
Holy crap. I had no idea. Tonight will be really interesting. What does that do to comparibility or was the online stuff estimated before?
Yes they were estimated before. With more hard data = they're estimating less retailers = more accurate (closer to reality) numbers overall.

Skiptastic said:
How about just banning Cassamassina, regardless? :D
That suggestion has been made too many times with nothing happening for me to believe it'll ever happen.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
schuelma said:
Yeah but its not going to be competitive the rest of the year...it just isn't.
I agree in terms of sales. The games are there but you are correct. I just wish more people had more rationality.

X26

Banned
IMO, people really take away from all the meltdowns that these threads could bring when there's pages of nothing but: Uh oh here it comes, meltdowns incomming, mass suicides coming up, popcorn.gif, etc.

it just clams down the people that would have otherwise flipped out, and that's no fun at all

Top Bottom