• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

scydrex

Goddamn it, so many awesome games listed incoming. Plus, there is also Walking Dead 1 & 2.
Low-Fi looks awesome like a Blade Runner game in vr or Cyberpunk vibe. Will get it for sure. Is gonna be released Q2 or Q3 this year.

Medieval Dynasty looks great too. I read is a great game probably will get it.

Behemot gives Skyrim + Shadow of the Colossus vibe. I'm interested but need to se more.

It’s too early to determine the reasons fully yet but this video explains.

From what I gather, there’s two factors for high persistence here

1) Brighter the OLED (and HDR), the slower it is to fully switch black

2) 60 to 120 fps reprojection games seem to be the biggest culprit? Did patch today fix most of it? To be seen. Could be patchable. I don’t think peoples have the persistence problem with the smaller games ala Kayak VR?

3) LCD panels used by Oculus are fast switching, it has been their philosophy for a while to have low Persistence

I thought OLED inherently suck at motion resolution? At least compared to the CRT/Plasma days, no clue how it compares to fast switch LCD. Again, could be purely software problem made worse with the brightness. Pretty sure in coming weeks there will be better analysis.

I think the maximum recommended for brightness is 70%. 50-60% seems like a good compromise. DF or John recommended in RE7 at 0 but will have black crush. So maybe 25-30% is good enough.

Last edited:

SilentUser

Low-Fi looks awesome like a Blade Runner game in vr or Cyberpunk vibe. Will get it for sure. Is gonna be released Q2 or Q3 this year.

Medieval Dynasty looks great too. I read is a great game probably will get it.

Behemot gives Skyrim + Shadow of the Colossus vibe. I'm interested but need to se more.

I think the maximum recommended for brightness is 70%. 50-60% seems like a good compromise. DF or John recommended in RE7 at 0 but will have black crush. So maybe 25-30% is good enough.

I'm highly interested in Behemot (even though it is just a cinematic trailer, it seems like some sort of Shadow of the Colossus in VR) and Medieval Dinasty. There are so many cools games incoming, hopefully Sony brings a lot of hybrid games to the table and at least a few VR focused titles. Maybe some cools announcements at the supposed next Showcase.

scydrex

Low-fi looks awesome but some people have said the locations are virtually empty of npcs so it feels a little static/empty.
Will see more Youtube videos with the latest updates. Maybe they have added more ncps and more stuff? Hopefully the locations are less empty now. Apparently there is a early acces of the game but it hasn't released. Is going to be released this year for pc and psvr2.

Last edited:

saintjules

I had been looking into getting something like this. Main point for me, I do wear glasses and whenever I played active games on PSVR1 I eventually scratched my PSVR lens. I can see well without my glasses but really like the "crispness" of graphics when I do wear them, especially in VR. Seeing your purchased ones caused me to pull the trigger.

Gotcha. My main concern was actually hoping that they would nail the actual Rx on the OD/OS. And they did.

I think it's a worthy investment for sure and I'm glad I got the pair.

See, these are the types of games I'd play in VR. On a flat screen, not so much but that's just me.

Last edited:

saintjules

Ok convinced, I'm in ... I wear quite large glasses and can not pull the HMD as far to my eyes as I would like without the frame touching somewhere. Thus, I constantly have some light and reflections in the HMD. Has me so far quite little bothered, but it reads as if the inserts are a useful upgrade.

Sounds good. Curious to know your thoughts when you get them. With playing games that require standing/movement, you build up all this sweat and if that manages to get on your glasses and all that. Just becomes messy.

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Played NMS again. There might be some lodding weirdness going on when you enter your ship planetside. Loaded it again today and the flickering jaggies were gone. Ran about a bit, all fine. Entered my ship to fanny about and upon leaving the distant geometry was weird as well as some closer up. A little while running about and it seemed to sort itself out until I went in the ship again.

in other news I’ve put a small scratch on one of the lens, barely noticeable unless you look for it and even then it’s like a very faint smudge. But still: Fuck!

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
someone said there was a patch that seemed to make some things look better?
For NMS? I did notice that when I came out I had a notification that it had updated but I didn’t notice any improvements from yesterday’s session.

Looking on Reddit someone mentioned the patch but said no visual improvements were in the patch notes.

Crayon

I think what he means is that the foveated eye tracking view window was made larger.

Ah yes you know he explained that and I was going to reply but I forgot.

I don't think that's the case as you wouldn't be able to see it. Or shouldn't be able to see it, at least. As long as it was big enough to cover the gaze area which is pretty much it's one job, the you could it big as you want and never notice.

dorkimoe

For NMS? I did notice that when I came out I had a notification that it had updated but I didn’t notice any improvements from yesterday’s session.

Looking on Reddit someone mentioned the patch but said no visual improvements were in the patch notes.
PSVR patch not the game. sorry

GladiusFrog

Enjoyed my time with PSVR2, Unfortunately had a defective unit and returned for a refund. (Right controller trigger and X button didn't like to respond).

GT7 was everything I hoped it could be, Amazing.

RE8 Demo was really cool, I could only get it to work once due to the defective controller but man, It scared the hell out of me.

Once the refund goes through, I'll have to consider if I want to buy a new one.
I've got a big head and nothing I can do makes wearing this headset comfortable for me. I feel like my head is in a death grip and can ruin the fun.

Last edited:
someone said there was a patch that seemed to make some things look better?
Looks better for me. Hitting sweet spot is easier and now it just stay there. Chromatic abberation is heavily reduced. hands in RE8 and Cosminious are even more clear than before.

Cinematic Mode is more stable and the IQ is better... it no longer looks like absolute ass and it even feels bigger when at 100%. Before the update, the 100% sized screen didn't seem so large.

I am convinced my headset had an older firmware. It was like 85% good before, so still very good. Now it's like 95%. It's the difference between A & A+.

dorkimoe

Looks better for me. Hitting sweet spot is easier and now it just stay there. Chromatic abberation is heavily reduced. hands in RE8 and Cosminious are even more clear than before.

Cinematic Mode is more stable and the IQ is better... it no longer looks like absolute ass and it even feels bigger when at 100%. Before the update, the 100% sized screen didn't seem so large.

I am convinced my headset had an older firmware. It was like 85% good before, so still very good. Now it's like 95%. It's the difference between A & A+.
Is this update out for everyone? or did i see it was a beta? And anyone know the firmware number?

Last edited:

aclar00

I have to say i am not seeing any changes. Granted, I've been so engrossed in RE8 that i havent played any other VR game to compare. Really loving it compare to 7 which i couldn't even play on PSVR 1 due to the image clarity and screendoor. Also i must have oily skin because i have to clean the lenses midway through every 30-60min session.

With that said, im loving the PSVR 2, but it hasnt been the clarity jump i was expecting. The Mura effect or whatever it's called is def strong for me. Games look like that have a translucent florescent light cover over them. Funny enough, the effect is stronger in game than home menu.

Looks kind of like this..
NL2a5qP.jpg

Edit: RE8 looks better when bright, but even with max brightness the mura effect is strong. However, there is a momentary increase in brightness when going from indoor to outdoor area that makes it look great...but it only last a second and then lighting is subdued, making the mura effect stand out more.

Last edited:

scydrex

I have to say i am not seeing any changes. Granted, I've been so engrossed in RE8 that i havent played any other VR game to compare. Really loving it compare to 7 which i couldn't even play on PSVR 1 due to the image clarity and screendoor. Also i must have oily skin because i have to clean the lenses midway through every 30-60min session.

With that said, im loving the PSVR 2, but it hasnt been the clarity jump i was expecting. The Mura effect or whatever it's called is def strong for me. Games look like that have a translucent florescent light cover over them. Funny enough, the effect is stronger in game than home menu.

Looks kind of like this..
NL2a5qP.jpg

Edit: RE8 looks better when bright, but even with max brightness the mura effect is strong. However, there is a momentary increase in brightness when going from indoor to outdoor area that makes it look great...but it only last a second and then lighting is subdued, making the mura effect stand out more.

Try with lower brightness 50-70% an 25 or 30%. The lower the brightness is suppose to help with the mura effect. DF recommended 0% on RE8 but will have crushed blacks.

Crayon

Try with lower brightness 50-70% an 25 or 30%. The lower the brightness is suppose to help with the mura effect. DF recommended 0% on RE8 but will have crushed blacks.

So not sure if people are really seeing the mura effect or if they're seeing the odd way the screen door shows up. It's very fine and it's not rectangular. It's like a grain.

Speaking of grain, take my opinion there with a grain of salt because I can't even figure out what the mura is lol.

So not sure if people are really seeing the mura effect or if they're seeing the odd way the screen door shows up. It's very fine and it's not rectangular. It's like a grain.

Speaking of grain, take my opinion there with a grain of salt because I can't even figure out what the mura is lol.
Mura on PS VITA was completely different than what people call Mura here so I don't even know if what I'm seeing is mura on PSVR2.

Here's what VITA Mura looks like:
ca7dc0ae.jpg

I've definitely see the grain on PSVR2, in fact, it's quite noticeable, and always has been since I got it, but when I'm engrossed in a game, it's easy to look past and forget about.

Crayon

Mura on PS VITA was completely different than what people call Mura here so I don't even know if what I'm seeing is mura on PSVR2.

ca7dc0ae.jpg

I've definitely see the grain on PSVR2, in fact, it's quite noticeable, and always has been since I got it, but when I'm engrossed in a game, it's easy to look past and forget about.

The psvr had the grain, just coarser. It's actually the screen-door effect being diffused somehow. This is why you'll see many comments about psvr having little or no screen door despite the low resolution. The screen door is there and even obvious, but it doesn't look like a literal screen door like you usualy see.

Last edited:

Minsc

ca7dc0ae.jpg

I only see the grain/mura in gray screens, never stands out anywhere else. I've read some units are defective though, keep that in mind, people who have said it's bad have gotten a new PSVR2 and then said it's gone.

did it get better in GAF or no? clarity and sharpness, bigger foveated rendering?

is it better or mothafuckin not? placebo or a mothafuckin improvement? who gonna settle this shit? who got the big ball gorilla DICK?

Crayon

did it get better in GAF or no? clarity and sharpness, bigger foveated rendering?

is it better or mothafuckin not? placebo or a mothafuckin improvement? who gonna settle this shit? who got the big ball gorilla DICK?

I noticed something but it might be just like contrast or sharpness. Those can perceptually make the impression that an image is "better". I had a particular thing (an odommeter) I wanted to look at to compare and imo it didn't actually look more readable. Still, the whole picture seemed better so I'mm either trippin or something subtle changed.

Fuck me the tracking on my headset is garbage.
I’ve installed extra lights into my space and it made no difference.
I’ve cleaned the lenses.
Run and re-run tracking calibration
Recreated my play space numerous times.
Tried tracking support off/on
I have no exposed light bulbs it’s all wash/bounce light and the room is very well lit
I‘ve tried TV off/on with tracking support off/on
I have lots of stuff in the room and on the walls.

Climbing in horizon and looking up slightly the game drops to the passthru with the tracking error and then immediately flicks back to the game and it happens constantly.

My Quest 2 tracking is flawless in this same space with the same light.

I heard IR lights might help with tracking.

SilentUser

I noticed something but it might be just like contrast or sharpness. Those can perceptually make the impression that an image is "better". I had a particular thing (an odommeter) I wanted to look at to compare and imo it didn't actually look more readable. Still, the whole picture seemed better so I'mm either trippin or something subtle changed.
Honestly, I updated the headset thinking people were going crazy and I wasn't going to spot a single difference. But when it updated, things looked a little better: a little more sharp image, improved colors and easier to focus on things.
Puzzling Places demo made that really easy to see, even though the game remais soft. Also, it is easier to focus on the characters faces on Demeo. The easiest way to spot the difference in clarity were the clocks and the marks on the wall of the pool in Kayak Mirage

Overall, it isn't a big improvement, but the difference is there, imo. Either way, even if it is just placebo, I'm happy with the PSVR2 😅

Crayon

Honestly, I updated the headset thinking people were going crazy and I wasn't going to spot a single difference. But when it updated, things looked a little better: a little more sharp image, improved colors and easier to focus on things.
Puzzling Places demo made that really easy to see, even though the game remais soft. Also, it is easier to focus on the characters faces on Demeo. The easiest way to spot the difference in clarity were the clocks and the marks on the wall of the pool in Kayak Mirage

Overall, it isn't a big improvement, but the difference is there, imo. Either way, even if it is just placebo, I'm happy with the PSVR2 😅

Yeah if it's not real please don't tell me lol.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Well, unless it gets patched RE4make fells like (imo) putrid shit on a gamepad.... guess I'll be waiting for VR to play this one. Makes some space on the calendar this month for other games though. And there's a lot to play thankfully.

Last edited:

Rudius

No Man's Sky still has no foveated rendering.

Gamerguy84

So has anyone tried a 2D game on the headset. I played some GoW R but had to turn down the screen size just a bit.

Watched a little bit of YouTube TV (my cable provider) but don't want to get into much video until they hit us with 4K FW update.

Overall very pleased with this headset. Only getting started.

poppabk

Glasses, when I was taking the headset off I think. Ah well, it’s not obvious when playing and I’ll be more careful in future.
Polywatch Plastic Lens Scratch Remover https://a.co/d/cfGzSPf
This stuff worked wonders on my Quest 2 lens with a glasses scratch on it. Might want to wait until some other poor soul tries it on the PSVR2 lenses seeing as they might have some film or something on them.

Minsc

Playing the RE4 demo on PC with near-max settings at native 1440p res at high framerate, and not a blemish or pixel in sight, everything looks almost render-perfect and amazing, and yet... RE: Village VR Mode is so much more memorable to me. The way the lycans are giant and the way the 3D detail just sticks right out, aiming feels so much more natural and immersive, like the metal carvings and fine detail on the architecture, all those really nice things are just blended away into the background in the flat version. And the colors and lighting, in VR they really shine, literally, all the metallic stuff, always been a favorite 3D effect, glass/metal/reflective things.

Even with the lower-res limitations and all the other concessions needed to get RE4 on to PSVR2, I already know it's going to be so much better than the picture perfect demo version on my PC right now. I can't wait!

BLAUcopter

Ooooof. The nausea I got playing that horizon demo was the worst I've ever experienced playing VR. Plus the game didn't even look that good. It's been hyped as this show piece, when there are far better looking games on the system. Lame.

FunkMiller

So who’s playing thins thing exclusively sat down on their fat ass? My gaming room where I have the Ps5 is pretty small, and I can’t be arsed to move it, so I’ll be using PSVR2 sat down. How is it as a purely sitting experience?

ABnormal

So who’s playing thins thing exclusively sat down on their fat ass? My gaming room where I have the Ps5 is pretty small, and I can’t be arsed to move it, so I’ll be using PSVR2 sat down. How is it as a purely sitting experience?
Almost always seated. I just want to play as usual, but with added glorious immersion in the game, plus hand and arms control: perfection!

Just half an hour ago I ended a long RE8 Demo session, and for the first time I was able to play nearly without motion sickness. Being able to roam the forest and the village freely, finally able to enjoy it, has been moving and mightly impressive. Really, nothing comes close to VR.
For the first time I feel hopeful that I will be able to overcame motion sickness and be able to enjoy all the great games present and future (I'm particularly looking forward to Behemoth. I'm sure it will be a title that will make a big impact on VR).

Top Bottom