• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Dax01 said:
n54tpx.jpg

Better?

Let's, uh, try this one?

obama-wtf.jpg

Boogie9IGN

That Keating video is really well done.

I didnt know crap about it but as Im watching right now everything is crystal-clear

“The bus roared through Indiana cornfields that night; the moon illuminated the ghostly gathered husks; it was almost Halloween. I made the acquaintance of a girl and we necked all the way to Indianapolis. She was nearsighted.”

– Jack Kerouac, “On the Road”

Today was the final day of voter registration in Indiana, and we'll have the final numbers for you after the official tally comes in, but here in Bloomington we learned from Obama student GOTV coordinator Jim Snaza that nearly 11,000 Indiana University students have registered to vote since August 15. Approximately 1,000 came in just today (pictured).

I asked Jim and fellow IU SFBO (Students for Barack Obama) coordinator Neville Batiwalla how they'd gone about registering students, and they described an evolving process, built on the campaign's learning from lower-than-hoped-for student registration numbers in the Texas and Ohio primaries. Jim, a senior who joked that he was failing all his classes for all the time he spent on the campaign, personally registered 798 students, and hoped he'd win a statewide contest to win an Obama-autographed basketball. Glumly, he reported that his 25 today had been bested by his roommate's 100, and he worried he wouldn't wind up meeting Obama. Here's hoping that whoever wins the contest, Obama stops to shake Jim's hand too.

Like Alex Max in Durango, and presumably all over the country, high school freshmen are leading the way to register high school kids as well as phone bank or canvass nearly every day. We spoke to Colin Diersing, a freshman at Bloomington South, about his involvement. He'd come in one day during the primary to help do data entry. As with every volunteer who comes to an Obama office, he was asked which time and date he could return.

Soon, an organizer asked him if he'd like to try phone calls. As is near universal, his first few calls had him a little nervous, and Colin spent ten minutes or so getting his call script comfortably into his personal voice. Then he was off to the races. At his high school, a few students got together to start the Obama group, and then each person brought two friends, and so forth, until the student group had a dedicated staff of 10-25 who regularly call and knock. Often they hit near 2000 dials in a night, the same as one of the three McCain Las Vegas, NV offices in its entirety.

As was the case in Lafayette and Lake County, there are no McCain offices to visit.

On the whole, the massive voter registration drive and the routinely packed field offices lead us to believe Obama has a strong chance to pull an upset here in the Hoosier State. A war with David Letterman is not going over well in this state, as McCain's internal Indiana pollsters would be forced to confess. We'll be back in the state for Obama's visit to Indianapolis after a brief drop down to Belmont University for tomorrow night's debate.

Tomorrow there are two other significant announcements, one involving Nate and one involving Brett and our trip. We look forward to sharing another liveblog from the road, at approximately mile 6000.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/

GhaleonEB

The Keating video was very well done, and I thought actually quite restrained. Very effective at explaining what happened, what McCain did and why it matters right now.

Cloudy

Banned
Chuck Hagel's wife to endorse Obama tomorrow

http://www.nebraska.tv/Global/story.asp?S=9134694&nav=menu605_2

Nebraska Sen. Chuck Hagel's wife to endorse Obama

Associated Press - October 6, 2008 10:05 PM ET

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - The wife of Nebraska Republican Senator Chuck Hagel plans to endorse Democrat Barack Obama.

Lilibet Hagel has scheduled a 10 a.m. news conference in Virginia tomorrow with Susan Eisenhower, the daughter of Republican President Eisenhower.

Chuck Hagel has made no endorsement.

Lilibet Hagel says in an Associated Press interview that her decision was independent of her husband. She says she didn't know whether he would make an endorsement or whom he would support.

Lilibet Hagel says this will be her first endorsement of a Democrat. She says the ongoing wars and growing national debt were factors.

The Hagels know John and Cindy McCain, but Lilibet Hagel says her endorsement was not meant to slam the McCains.

Chuck Hagel is not seeking a third Senate term. He has been a fierce critic of the Bush administration's Iraq policies.

During the summer, he accompanied Obama and Democratic Senator Jack Reed of Rhode Island to Iraq and Afghanistan.

He'd make a good Secretary of State...

Fox318 said:
Is anyone else upset that theres no third party in this debate? Barr would have made this interesting.

Chances are they'd split some votes among young democratic leaners this election, and I don't particularly like that prospect.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I'm sleepy, but I don't want to go anywhere until I have updated Pacman graphs god damnit :/

StoOgE said:
I love how drudge puts the headline 'VP debate tightens presidential race" and links to the only poll that is good for the Rep (if being 3 down is "good") and then links to the RCP average below it which directly contradicts his point and shows a widening gap.

Despite the fact that Nate Silver has shown the RCP cherry picks polls to make the Republicans look better.

The CBS national poll has the race tightening for full disclosure. It's the only one I've seen so far that has it this way so it's an outlier. Betcha Drudge updates with this one and says the race is closing. ;)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4504633.shtml

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13104394&postcount=8328

I called it colbert.gif.

Fox318

BrandNew said:
Chances are they'd split some votes among young democratic leaners this election, and I don't particularly like that prospect.
I doubt Barr would have done that. He may have actually split up McCain's vote if anything.

TDG

Banned
Dax01 said:
Have third parties usually been included in presidential debates?
No. Last time it happened was Perot in '92, but his support was far more significant than any third-party candidate since.

Krowley

I think third party's ought to be included. They would bring new ideas to the forefront.

If you can get up to 1% in the polling I think you ought to get a chance to be heard, at least in the first debate. After that, I can see them narrowing it down, because you should be able to move up a few points in the polls if people are interested in your ideas.

As long as we only have these two party's controlling all the political discussion everything is going to be very stagnate.

:lol I love how the McCain camp didn't notice that Hannity beating the Ayers shit into the ground for the last 8 weeks hasn't stuck so they go ahead and try it themselves. What a terribly run campaign.

RapeApe said:
Chuck Hagel wants a job. He actually spoke from the heart about Palin unlike these other clowns. You know he's rooting for Obama.

Without outright endorsing him Hagel has done a lot for Obama. I respect him a great deal more than say Colin Powell who just like he has his entire career stradles the line to have some phony sense of being a statesman.

Krowley

HylianTom said:
Off of the top of my head, 15%. It was set after Perot in 1992.

that's way too high. Means you have to be a celebrity or rich to challenge the current two party system. If you can't get in the debates, you can't effect the process to any great degree. I think it's one of the biggest things wrong with our govenment.

It's not nessecarily that we need green party or libertarian candidates in office, but we need their ideas to refresh the main party's and influence the future.

this election's too important to have a third wheel at the debates. unless this was like 1992 where the third candidate had a somewhat plausible chance of winning.

edit: i'm not sure of the veracity of the second sentence there.

Ninja Scooter said:
:lol I love how the McCain camp didn't notice that Hannity beating the Ayers shit into the ground for the last 8 weeks hasn't stuck so they go ahead and try it themselves. What a terribly run campaign.
Well actually it's not like Ayers was even off limits until now either. He's brought him up numerous times since even before the primaries ended.

TDG

Banned
I have no interest in hearing the extremist ideas that Barr and Nader are pushing that nobody cares about. Less time for the real candidates to debate? No thanks.

HylianTom

Banned
Tyrone Slothrop said:
this election's too important to have a third wheel at the debates. unless this was like 1992 where the third candidate had a somewhat plausible chance of winning.

edit: i'm not sure of the veracity of the second sentence there.

At one point, Perot was indeed in the lead. People mock him for those infomercials, but they obviously did something to get him such traction in the polls.

Imagine Obama doing a 30-minute infomercial on the Sunday night before the election. I wonder if he'd get a bounce like Perot did?

Tyrone Slothrop said:

Generally speaking I'm very much a fan of the idea of a third or 4th party. That being said the current ones seem more like cult of personalites than a genuine platform of ideas. On a purely personal level Barr strikes me as Republican who simply saw a chance to switch brands after his major political career was over and Nader is a nice guy who did a lot of good stuff in the private sector way back when but is essentially a man out of time.

TDG said:
I have no interest in hearing the extremist ideas that Barr and Nader are pushing that nobody cares about. Less time for the real candidates to debate? No thanks.

A reasonable person might say that perhaps you think their ideas to be "extremist" because you haven't heard them.

The More You Know™

Krowley

TDG said:

the only reason nobody cares about those ideas is that they never hear them. If you close the process you turn politics into an echo chamber. People aren't well informed enough to have an opinion on Barr or Naders views, and one way to fix that is to give them debate time.

Tamanon

Banned
Krowley said:
that's way too high. Means you have to be a celebrity or rich to challenge the current two party system. If you can't get in the debates, you can't effect the process to any great degree. I think it's one of the biggest things wrong with our govenment.

It's not nessecarily that we need green party or libertarian candidates in office, but we need their ideas to refresh the main party's and influence the future.

The problem then is you also start getting into discussions on lowering the threshold for public financing. And that can get expensive. I would love to get more parties involved, but it's tough with an incredibly partisan country.

HylianTom

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
Generally speaking I'm very much a fan of the idea of a third or 4th party. That being said the current ones seem more like cult of personalites than a genuine platform of ideas. On a purely personal level Barr strikes me as Republican who simply saw a chance to switch brands after his major political career was over and Nader is a nice guy who did a lot of good stuff in the private sector way back when but is essentially a man out of time.

Your characterization of Nader is entirely too kind. To claim "there's no difference" with a straight face..

Krowley

Tamanon said:
The problem then is you also start getting into discussions on lowering the threshold for public financing. And that can get expensive. I would love to get more parties involved, but it's tough with an incredibly partisan country.

I agree with that. Right now it would be nearly impossible to get a 3rd of 4th party into the system. Both the dems and republicans are terrified of losing votes to a new voice. It will probably remain this way for a long time.

Stoney Mason said:
Generally speaking I'm very much a fan of the idea of a third or 4th party. That being said the current ones seem more like cult of personalites than a genuine platform of ideas.

yeah that's what kind of irks me.

but i'm hoping sometime in my lifetime there'll be more major parties in the fray, with new ideas, more independent thinking, ect

Cloudy

Banned
McCain and Palin are being very irresponsible right now. You have people at their rallies calling Obama a terrorist and that he should be killed? WTF is this shit?

It's one thing to slime your opponent, it's another to perpetuate false rumors that incite the bigots and hatemongers that seem to be a significant group of your supporters :\

Krowley said:
I agree with that. Right now it would be nearly impossible to get a 3rd of 4th party into the system. Both the dems and republicans are terrified of losing votes to a new voice. It will probably remain this way for a long time.

Oddly enough, the Republican party looks like it's about to fracture.

typhonsentra said:
Well actually it's not like Ayers was even off limits until now either. He's brought him up numerous times since even before the primaries ended.

its just amazing just how well Obama and his campaign have been though. This shit will go down in history as how well its all be run. They had two seasoned vet politicians (Hillary and McCain) reeling and resorting to pathetic desperate tactics. They've handled everything so smoothly. Think about it, Howard Dean was sunk by a fucking soundbite, yet Obama has handled all the shit slung his way like a pro and not even flinched.

HylianTom said:
Your characterization of Nader is entirely too kind. To claim "there's no difference" with a straight face..

He says a lot of dumb stuff and doesn't speak to the deeper reality of many situations. There are many issues on which that statement he made is correct at a surface level but of course he is completely wrong once you drill down into nearly every single issue.

Clevinger

HylianTom said:

Well, they're the same in that they're not Nader, so I can see where he gets mixed up.

tanod

when is my burrito
GhaleonEB said:
The Keating video was very well done, and I thought actually quite restrained. Very effective at explaining what happened, what McCain did and why it matters right now.

I liked that too. I've heard a lot of the Keating 5 but I never knew what it was or what it had to do with. It's a bonus for the Obama campaign that it's actually relevant to the issues and the economic crisis we're going through today.

Let people make up their own minds about the situation. I was watching it very skeptically to see if I could poke holes in the way they were presenting it. They have a lot of video of McCain talking or McCain sitting there. It's not always clear what audio they are splicing with what video. Also, they only had the one regulator. I think I would have found it more credible if it was the special counsel that was talking about it. Plus the guy was saying "quote" a few times but it was never clear what he was quoting. Still informative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom