• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Kolgar said:
I'll wait and see how this plays out, but I'm excited that this just got more interesting.

One commentator on my TV just said, "She's got more executive experience than an absentee senator who's been running for president these past few years."

Did that same commentator also mention that McCain missed more consecutive senate votes than any other in history, and another senator that was in a coma due to a brain hemorrhage?

Shit. I just realized that with Palin being a staunch pro-lifer, could this further push the perm. banning on stem cell research if the issue is brought over the coming months? I remember reading a few days ago on how the GOP doesn't just want to ban federal funding, but even private funding on stem cell research.

Kildace

mamacint said:
Possibly, but she's so green she's pretty much a blank slate. We'll see how things work out. Apart from that trooper-in-law stuff, she sounds alright.

The big strength of getting someone so fresh to GOP politics and from such remote place is that she hasn't had a chance to build up the unavoidable dirt that would be unescapable in the modern Republican party.

Don't get me wrong. I actually think she's alright. I think that while I disagree with her on pretty much everything when it comes to social values she looks like a genuinely competent governor of a small state with integrity and charm.

But that's not enough because John McCain is not Barack Obama. John McCain doesn't know much about the economy and he picks a VP whose economic experience is running a state with less than a million people in it? John McCain is sometimes reckless in his foreign views and instead of picking someone more moderate that could reassure the electorate he picks someone who does not even have foreign policy views? John McCain enjoys the image of being a maverick, he has some independant and moderate appeal, he picks a social conservative?
John McCain has a million flaws and the only thing Sarah Palin brings to the ticket is charm. Her disturbing lack of experience makes her a liability to her ticket as democrats drill into the mind of voters that McCain is old and that they will be taking the risk of giving her the reins of this country by voting for McCain. You can't run on a platform of experience and attack your opponent about it when you pick Sarah Palin. And that was pretty much the only way McCain could defeat Obama, by being the safe choice.

Sarah Palin in 2012 with 4 years on the national stage and 6 years of experience as a governor might end up being a fearsome candidate running against Barrack Obama if she doesn't end up Ferraro'd, but it's far too soon for her to run. It'd be like if Obama had been selected by Kerry in 2004.

Dax01 said:
"After his attacks on Obama's readiness for the job, it'll be amusing to hear a 72-year-old with a history of health problems justify this decision,” said Jim Jordan, a veteran Democratic strategist. "She's a talent, but that's the end of the experience message from John McCain."

Good article. :D

Another Republican, echoing the private thoughts of some strategists in the party, was less restrained, suggesting the Palin pick damaged one of McCain’s most valued attributes and wouldn’t help him beyond the party base.

“It hurts the experience edge, and the hard abortion stuff scares moderate swing voters,” said this GOP insider. “It will appeal to some Bubbas, but that’s not enough

GREAT article.

How is everyone not seeing this? How is anyone supporting this decision?

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
BenjaminBirdie said:
GREAT article.

How is everyone not seeing this? How is anyone supporting this decision?

Even my Republican father sees this as a tremendous fuckup. We've got a $100 bet riding on this election, and he pretty well conceded that he will be paying me this November.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Imm0rt4l said:
you just made her less sexy to me
Here,let me help you with that.

1903451448_635a36aed2_o.jpg

CNN also had a clip of Palin basically saying "I don't know what the VP does" when asked a few months (weeks?) back what she thought about the remote possibility to be a VP. It was truly :lol

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Oh snap... top political pundit says McCain/Palin ticket is unbeatable.
Video

Prepare to cringe.

some thoughts on today's annoucement. just my opinions, of course...

this is bad news for the good guys. it is still likely obama will get well over 270 electoral votes - i'm not going chicken little here - but today that goal just got a little harder to achieve. that "rallying the base" problem will be non-existent now. palin is a dyed in the wool republican and her progeny are going to flock toward her like flies to shit.

in this i'm tired of hearing about hillary's voters because they're almost a non-issue. they were a factor in this decision, but only because the prospect of a woman vp was so ubiquitous this year that it became easy to capitalize on. only a fringe few of those 18 million voters are blindly devoted to getting a woman president.

this is very telling of how mccain sees his chances - if he thought his prospects were good he'd have made the same decision obama did: pick somebody he knows, is ready for the job at any given moment, somebody with some degree of establishment. but here total hypocracy is exhibited as he goes for appeal in lieu of experience, what'll give him "a bump in the polls." and i have to give it to mccain. brilliant choice. it's scary hell as this woman inching close to being the most powerful person in the world, shows that winning is put above all in this game, but that's reality. winning is the goal and mccain (or whoever made the decision) is at the top of his game

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Byakuya769 said:
He's very sane, and highly intelligent (spoke with him in person).. he's just wrong on the majority of issues.
No, Keyes is the man who argued that the first amendment meant that states have the right to choose an official religion. The mental hoops he went through in making that case were fairly schizophrenic.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
ChrisGoldstein said:
LMAO, you had me worried for a second there

Uh...why aren't you worried? This person wearing what appears to be an XBox 360 headset is calling it like it is.

This shit is so over.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
http://news.yahoo.com/story//politico/20080829/pl_politico/12988
By picking somebody he and most Americans barely know — an out-of-the-blue decision that sent shock waves of disbelief through the political world and still has jaws agape — McCain has taken a considerable gamble.
this plays right into Obama's speech the other night - do voters feel McCain's judgment is right for this country? the more i read about this pick the more i end up scratching my head. McCain calls Obama's 'inexperience' circumspect, but is willing to hand the #2 position to a person he's barely spoken to?

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
No, that is the reaction of a curmudgeon.

Oh really?

:lol :lol

This MUST be fucking trasncribed. From Cafferty's emails:

I am a true-blue Hillary supporter, but I am sure Hillary did not mean to put 18 million cracks in the glass ceiling so that a pro-life, pro-gun, home-schooling nobody from the frozen tundra of Alaska could slide in. Go Obama.

- Christine

She could energize indy votes:

1) On Energy and Gas issues like domestic oil.
2) People who will vote because she is a woman, yes they exsist (read the Hillary boards to see the switchers!)
3) People who don't want the Bush tax cuts repealed, and who don't want to pay higher taxes (I got back a couple of thousand in Tax rebates from Bush tax cuts and i'm poor as dirt.)
4) "Reformers and change advocates" (With Biden's selection and the polling numbers of the democratically controlled congress at record lows)
5) Working blue collar labor and small town dwellers (Dems keep dissing the small towns)
6) Soccer and working moms (Abortion is only the deciding voting issue to 3% of voting women, economy is number one issue)

AniHawk

I wonder if this will harden the (shrinking) undecided Hillary base behind Obama, or if they'll just write in her name this year or something.

SEGA SAMMY said:
She could energize indy votes:
3) People who don't want the Bush tax cuts repealed, and who don't want to pay higher taxes (I got back a couple of thousand in Tax rebates from Bush tax cuts and i'm poor as dirt.)

you make $250,000+ ?

congrats

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
SEGA SAMMY said:
Poor as dirt? As in, making under 200,000 a year? McCain will give you higher taxes.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Fox News is going to replay the Rick Warren forum on Saturday... yeah...

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Bay Buchanan says that having a son in Iraq is a 'start' to having foreign policy experience. a Fox News commentator earlier said that the geographic proximity of Russia to Alaska also means she has foreign policy experience.

i'm dumbfounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom