• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

laserbeam

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Palin is very pro life, pro gun, wants to drill in ANWR, come on.

Pat just called her "as conservative a they come."

2/3 of the country probably wants to drill in ANWR right now. She pushed for a 25% windfall tax on Oil Companies and got it passed much to the bitching and whining of Big Oil.. She has shit all over fellow republicans with any ties to corruption forcing many of them out of office due to their corruption.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The pundits are saying "the base is energized" but I don't really think the hardcore religious right is really the base anymore. I think the republican base is probably more moderate (like the dem base) than the media gives credit.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
PhoenixDark said:
If this ticket bombs I wonder if the GOP will get the message that the country doesn't want far right social conservatives
No, they'll become convinced they weren't conservative enough, and their death spiral continues.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Odrion said:
I can't get over how hot Palin is. :(

She's had FIVE kids. Ever seen a woman's midsection after having just one? Yeah, not hot at all.

besada

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Besada, I definitely agree that she's the best of the major picks. But why not Whitman or Hutchinson? Just because of the pro-choice slant?

Yep. McCain needs the religious right. Without them he's utterly and completely fucked, because they control the Republican party. Whitman and Kay Bailey would have further damaged an already shaky relationship with them.

I know that we, as Democrats, see McCain as a pro-lifer, but the hardcore pro-lifers see him as an opportunist on the issue, unwilling to assault Roe v. Wade. In particular, they fear he's pretending to be much more conservative than he is (which I think is true), until he gets into office. Palin shows a willingness to bend his knee to them, and gives them a chance of putting one of the most hardcore pro-lifers (way more attached to th cause than Bush himself) in the office of the Presidency should McCain die.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
PhoenixDark said:
If this ticket bombs I wonder if the GOP will get the message that the country doesn't want far right social conservatives
Most parties feed on cognitive dissonance. As long as Democrats are social progressive they'll be forced to stay on the conservative side to avoid mass defections. Sad but true. Anyway, aren't softcore libertopians only a tiny fraction of nowadays GOP?

thekad

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Palin is very pro life, pro gun, wants to drill in ANWR, come on.

Pat just called her "as conservative a they come."
I'm guessing that laserbeam is operating under the assumption that fighting corruption is a dirty liberal position, therefore solidifying Palin's "moderate" credentials.

greepoman

I found this fun fact linking Obama to Michael Jackson:

Nielsen stats definitively show the Obama speech was the most-watched, nonsports program in African-American households since a Michael Jackson anniversary concert broadcast on CBS in 2001.

God damn, I seriously can't stop being befuddled by this. Not one strategic choice went into this decision.

It's like they think it's 2004 and Obama hasn't totally erased all the Clinton nonsense in four days. I'm shaking my head, man.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
laserbeam said:
I was off by 1 year oh no what a crime. Fact remains My point is valid.

you were off by TWO years. you did it again! and you were attempting to equate them by saying their political careers began at the same time.. completely ignoring his time in Illinois legislature, which he started in 1997.

kinggroin

Banned
Folks keep saying, "Choosing her" or "Chose her" was a big mistake. However, what if the reality is just a little different than folks are playing it out to be?

What if he DID ask Rom or whoever else seems more qualified, to run with him. What if those men are a lot smarter than folks give them credit for and decided against it. "THanks but no thanks" is what I'm thinking. I mean, would YOU tie your political future to McCain? Wouldn't you rather wait for the potential chance of running again? Untainted (so to speak)?

McCain had to scrape for this one imo :D

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
PhoenixDark said:
Nope instead they will think that American doesn't want women VP. Or McCain. Or mavericks. Or anything else they can scapgoat

Kolgar

Apparently, Sarah is one tough cookie.

Political analysts in Alaska refer to the "body count" of Palin's rivals. "The landscape is littered with the bodies of those who crossed Sarah," says pollster Dave Dittman, who worked for her gubernatorial campaign. It includes Ruedrich, Renkes, Murkowski, gubernatorial contenders John Binkley and Andrew Halcro, the three big oil companies in Alaska, and a section of the Daily News called "Voice of the Times," which was highly critical of Palin and is now defunct.

The wipeout in the 2006 election left Republicans in such a state of dejection that they've overlooked the one shining victory in which a Republican star was born. The triumph came in Alaska where Sarah Palin, a politician of eye-popping integrity, was elected governor. She is now the most popular governor in America, with an approval rating in the 90s, and probably the most popular public official in any state.

Her rise is a great (and rare) story of how adherence to principle--especially to transparency and accountability in government--can produce political success. And by the way, Palin is a conservative who only last month vetoed 13 percent of the state's proposed budget for capital projects. The cuts, the Anchorage Daily News said, "may be the biggest single-year line-item veto total in state history."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/013/851orcjq.asp

Goooo, Sarah! :lol

AniHawk

PhoenixDark said:

No, it means the ticket wasn't far enough to the right! McCain's barely a Republican himself.

I keep thinking it's a short-sighted last minute choice with not a whole lot of thought behind it, but then I think of Rosalin from BSG as Secretary of Education thrusted into leadership and being badass and thinking people might be underestimating her...

(I kept hoping someone else might make the comparison so I wouldn't look like the fucking dork, oh well...)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Gregory: "Do you acknowledge that this is a game changer for the republican's campaign?"

You goddamn shill.

mamacint said:
I keep thinking it's a short-sighted last minute choice with not a whole lot of thought behind it, but then I think of Rosalin from BSG as Secretary of Education thrusted into leadership and being badass and thinking people might be underestimating her...

Dude, fiction.

I figured it out. There's someone in McCain's camp. There's someone changing things. There's someone making just the subtlest of adjustments during key challenges.

It is this man.

301o9jt.jpg

Krowley

found a link from cspan to a vid of her governer debate, figured some people might be interested.

http://www.c-span.org/search.aspx?For=palin

Haven't watched it yet myself because you have to have real player (which i am in the process of installing)

edit// middle one seems to be dead (or at least it didn't work for me), but the bottom one works

mamacint said:
I dunno, Biden is a straight up 360remote, a great evolution along traditional lines.
To be honest I was more referencing Obama as the Wii-mote. Biden is sort of like a PC gamepad if I was being straight VP with the analogy.

Xeke

Banned
Chiggs said:
The timing is fairly amusing, even if the storm isn't.

Not to mention that if it turns into a real monster storm then all the news coverage will be of Gustav not the convention.

laserbeam

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Apparently Alaska is the most politically corrupt state in the US, I never knew that.
The old Establishment held power for a long time. The Former Governor just before he left office tried to appoint 75 friends to various commissions etc in the Alaskan Government.

Day Palin entered office she overtruned all of those appointments. Quite a few of those people were brought up on corruption charges etc later on too regarding the former Governor.

Stoney Mason said:
To be honest I was more referencing Obama as the Wii-mote. Biden is sort of like a PC gamepad if I was being straight VP with the analogy.
Analogies and metaphors always break down when you take them too far, I'm prepared to close this.
'

besada said:
The primary good for him is securing his connections to the religious right, the NRA, and the oil drillers (she's pro-ANWR drilling, which makes her even more staunch a drilling advocate than McCain). So, some positive within his base, and the ability to scoop up the PUMA crazies.

Yes, except that the republican base is not going to decide this election. The democrats now outnumber republicans. There has been so much dissatisfaction with the republican party that relying on the social conservatives to mobilize is not going to outweigh the inherent advantages Obama has in the current climate.

In order to win McCain needed to undercut Obama's arguments as an agent of change, instead he just reinforced the traditional social conservative underpinnings of his campaign, while simultaneously disallowing himself to challenge Obama's experience, the only argument that has had any traction.

If McCain's plan going forward is to rely on mobilizing the social conservative's he has already lost.

Zeliard

Chiggs said:
Here you go:

What about Ridge? He's pro-choice but would have likely helped McCain overall more, especially when it comes to winning over independents and centrist/conservative Democrats.

Who does Palin truly help McCain with in the electorate? Sensible Clinton supporters will be immediately turned off by her very staunch pro-life beliefs. If she was picked to reinforce McCain's maverick/reform label, that's something that Ridge would have offered more effectively.

Patch1922

SEGA SAMMY said:
Many conservatives like me were not sold on JM quite yet. This pick shores up my faith in the parties commitment to conservative issues. If he had picked Joe, I would not have voted GOP. This pick assures me the campaign is not happy with how things are going with spending etc...and is going back to the conservative roots. (Social issues, smaller government, lower taxes, less govt involvement in state issues)

Great VP choice, it solidifies the "social base", and expands appeal to some untapped demographics. Looking at the H. Clinton message boards, many of Hil’s supporters felt they were told to sit down by the DNC, and consider this the true ticket of change. 90% of the posters in the HC forums on this topic were moved by the pick of Palin and her introduction, and are switching from indy and dem to this ticket! (This was purely an observation of the posts) Don't assume those those 18 million Hillary supporter are str8 ticket drones of the DEM party. Many feel quite alienated by the tactics used against Hillary, and many feel that choosing an insider VP Candidate undermines Obama's change message.

This.

Also the VP candidate being Pro Life only maters to the Pro Life crowd. The Pro Choice people know that she wont be picking supreme court judges anytime soon.

Patch1922 said:
This.

Also the VP candidate being Pro Life only maters to the Pro Life crowd. The Pro Choice people know that she wont be picking supreme court judges anytime soon.

McCain would, and as Maddow said, he just put the Abortion Debate back in the spotlight.

God what a colossally stupid move.

This year is SO about INDEPENDENT VOTERS. MODERATE voters. THEY will undoubdtedly decide this election.

What in the fuck was he fucking thinking. Dear lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom