• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

methane47

ag-my001 said:
http://www.vpilf.com/

Was it really needed so soon?

chad.jpg

PAAALLLINNNNNNNN

besada

Banned
AndersTheSwede said:
If McCain's plan going forward is to rely on mobilizing the social conservative's he has already lost.

I don't disagree. I don't think this is going to help him in the long run. I don't think anything is. I think he's going to lose. I just think she gives him a better chance than most of the other choices, because most of them didn't bring anyone from across the aisle AND they cost him votes with his base.

McCain's been in a weird position from the beginning. In 2000, after the Bush campaign shattered his spine, he made a deal with the Republican party. He'd quit being so much of a Maverick and support Bush in return for support later. He thought that support would be useful, so he's bent his knee to the Bush guys over and over the last eight years, and then that support turned out to be an anvil around his neck.

It's why there's such cognitive dissonance about McCain. His history contains two entirely different candidates. The McCain of 2000 and post-2000 McCain.

I think he's fucked, but Palin at least gets him some serious press coverage, and ensures his base doesn't just sit home and watch him twist in the wind.

Obama obviously spoke out against the war, has repeatedly spoke about it on the campaign trail, has detailed policy information on his website, worked on nuclear non-proliferation in the senate, etc. He taught constitutional law, spent 8 years in the state senate, and about 3 1/2 years in the US Senate. He's campaigned for 18 months, brought down the Clinton machine, and is registering record numbers of voters and is one of the most gifted orators in many people's eyes.

Sarah Palin is governor of one of the tiniest states population-wise in the union, and was mayor of a town that's smaller than a House Rep's congressional district. She also was selected by John McCain, someone she barely knows, and hasn't done any extensive national campaigning. And as far as I can tell, she doesn't even have a foreign policy stance.

How the hell does someone say the experience argument "equally" applies to both of them?

John McCain today announced a running mate who he met only six months ago and who he spoke with just once on the phone about the position before offering it in person earlier this week.

McCain’s first encounter with Sarah Palin came at a Washington meeting of the National Governor’s Association in February, according to a campaign-provided reconstruction of how the little-known Alaska governor was thrust into the national spotlight. The two discussed the position by phone on Sunday before McCain invited her and her husband to Arizona to formally make the offer. McCain, joined by his wife, Cindy, did just that yesterday morning at their home near Sedona, Ariz.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/

Who wins the judgment issue here, the guy who spent months vetting a wide variety of characters or the guy who arbitrarily chose someone in a last ditch effort.

McCain's age is officially open season.

avaya

Funky Papa said:
You could always fap to an actual prime minister.

tymoshenko.jpg
Yulia_Tymoshenko_press_conference.jpg

*paging sir fragula, paging sir fragula*

There is a correlation between goodlooking women close to the seat of power and the oil/gas industry.

Yulia was on the Gazprom board, when Gazprom was not a tool for the Russian government. Palin has links through association with BP (Amoco -> BP-Amoco ->BP).

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
soul creator said:
Obama obviously spoke out against the war, has repeatedly spoke about it on the campaign trail, has detailed policy information on his website, worked on nuclear non-proliferation in the senate, etc. He taught constitutional law, spent 8 years in the state senate, and about 3 1/2 years in the US Senate. He's campaigned for 18 months, brought down the Clinton machine, and is registering record numbers of voters and is one of the most gifted orators in many people's eyes.

Sarah Palin is governor of one of the tiniest states population-wise in the union, and was mayor of a town that's smaller than a House Rep's congressional district. She also was selected by John McCain, someone she barely knows, and hasn't done any extensive national campaigning. And as far as I can tell, she doesn't even have a foreign policy stance.

How the hell does someone say the experience argument "equally" applies to both of them?

Many congressional districts, including Obama's, have a bigger population than the entire state of Alaska.

reilo said:
Many congressional districts, including Obama's, have a bigger population than the entire state of Alaska.

The fact there's EVEN THIS DEBATE on television, on all the news networks tells you what a god awful choice this was. Instant doubt, right at jump street. It took Obama TWO YEARS to erase the doubt America had in him and he's....pretty much one of the most gifted politicians of our time with one of the smartest teams around.

She has three months.

laserbeam

Banned
besada said:
Then why does it show up on a search on google images? I just assumed it was a younger picture.

I'm fapping to it anyway.
through searching that is Sabine Ehrenfeld

A younger look alike for sure when made to be

Hitokage said:
BenjaminBirdie: Yeah, McCain is pushing a hardline stance when Obama is trying to practice detente on the issue.
It seems like Evangelicals might be the Repubs most reliable base, but a not insignificant portion are dissatisfied with being treated like grunt soldiers while having little delivered to them. Plus, the issues that really matter most seems to be changing a bit. The Republicans will almost certainly get the larger share of their vote, but having some votes and actively campaigning for him are two different things.

VALIS

"Energizing the base" amounts to the same thing as getting 2 points in basketball with a dunk instead of a jump shot. It's the same 2 points, but with a little more glee for the home team. Doesn't make you more likely to win the game than a jump shot would've, though.

Palin is an all-or-nothing pick. They get the Hillary voters and win and it was one of the wisest moves in American political history. They don't, and it's going down as one of the worst political moves in American political history.

edit: Unless they lose in a very close race with strong female support. Then I guess it doesn't go down as such a terrible move.

VALIS said:
"Energizing the base" amounts to the same thing as getting 2 points in basketball with a dunk instead of a jump shot. It's the same 2 points, but with a little more glee for the home team. Doesn't make you more likely to win the game than a jump shot would've, though.

Palin is an all-or-nothing pick. They get the Hillary voters and win and it was one of the wisest moves in American political history. They don't, and it's going down as one of the worst political moves in American political history. All or nothing.

Exactly.

This is what it is. In terms of a distraction? In terms of solving the problems of the McCain campaign? It's a gamechanger all right. It's solving the problem of a headache by CUTTING OFF YOUR FUCKING LEGS.

Head's not bothering you anymore is it?

Zeliard

VALIS said:

Palin is an all-or-nothing pick. They get the Hillary voters and win and it was one of the wisest moves in American political history. They don't, and it's going down as one of the worst political moves in American political history. All or nothing.

There's no way this will happen. No way. They will probably see Palin's pick more as an insult than anything else. It's condescending, to think they could be swayed to the side of someone they share no beliefs with just because they share the same sex.

Kildace

PhoenixDark said:
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/

Who wins the judgment issue here, the guy who spent months vetting a wide variety of characters or the guy who arbitrarily chose someone in a last ditch effort.

McCain's age is officially open season.

The way they did this also means that there was only a superficial vetting of Palin and that everything she has ever done as a governor hasn't been properly assessed. She might have said some comments and picked some stances that could come back to bite her in the ass as the media and, most importantly the liberal blogosphere apply considerable scrutiny to each and every thing that she has ever said in order to decribilize her.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Zeliard said:
There's no way this will happen. No way. They will probably see Palin's pick more as an insult than anything else. It's condescending, to think they could be swayed to the side of someone they share no beliefs with just because they share the same sex.

Same way that Alan Keyes couldn't undercut Obama's voters with black electorate because Keyes is on the wrong side of many issues that many black people stand on.

laserbeam

Banned
reilo said:
Same way that Alan Keyes couldn't undercut Obama's voters with black electorate because Keyes is on the wrong side of many issues that many black people stand on.
Alan keyes had a whole lot of other issues besides that like not even being from Illinois.

At this point its silly to be doom and gloom or haha its in the bag we win. So much can happen between now and Election day.

Kildace

VALIS said:
Palin is an all-or-nothing pick. They get the Hillary voters and win and it was one of the wisest moves in American political history. They don't, and it's going down as one of the worst political moves in American political history.

edit: Unless they lose in a very close race with strong female support. Then I guess it doesn't go down as such a terrible move.

I give a little more credit than that to american voters and to the Obama's campaign message machine. Of couse right now she might seem like an option to a fairly sizeable share of women voters, but it's not like her social values aren't an insult to most self respecting women (not allowing abortion even in cases of incest? Is this the 60s again?) and the Obama campaign, their surrogates and Hillary Clinton will be there to drill this in the head of the voters until November.

Palin would be a great pick if you could pick your VP a week before the election. She looks appealing to women at first but I think that as soon as people know more about her positions she will end up hurting the ticket by not bringing anything more than boobs and a nice smile to it.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
New Obama Political Ad Text said:
Joe Biden has extensive foreign policy experience.

Sarah Palin said she wanted world peace once in a beauty contest.

You decide who is ready to help lead this country.

I'm Barack Obama and... girl are you serious?!

I don't know how well this going to play in rural areas...

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Wow, nice exchange just now. I fucking love Jack Cafferty. Calls things exactly how they are, and cuts out the bullshit talking points.

Zeliard

reilo said:

Exactly. The Keyes example is perfect.

BenjaminBirdie said:
The fact there's EVEN THIS DEBATE on television, on all the news networks tells you what a god awful choice this was. Instant doubt, right at jump street. It took Obama TWO YEARS to erase the doubt America had in him and he's....pretty much one of the most gifted politicians of our time with one of the smartest teams around.

She has three months.

She was picked this morning and has already been ripped apart. Compare the reaction to her to the reaction to Biden.

The most people on both sides really said about Biden was two things:

1) He's a long-time Washington insider and thus could undermine Obama's change message.

2) He's a walking gaffe-machine.

Both of which are ultimately trivial in terms of having any actual impact on Obama's chances. Obama hasn't lost any of his "change candidate" luster since picking Biden, and last night's speech was pretty much the nail in the coffin on that particular issue. And as for point #2, Biden would have to say something truly obnoxious to hurt Obama at all, and he's been very professional so far.

Palin, however, is getting ripped apart based on how competent she is, which is a lot more serious and certainly not a misgiving anybody sensible had about Biden. The Palin pick reminds me a lot of Harriet Miers.

Kildace said:
The way they did this also means that there was only a superficial vetting of Palin and that everything she has ever done as a governor hasn't been properly assessed. She might have said some comments and picked some stances that could come back to bite her in the ass as the media and, most importantly the liberal blogosphere apply considerable scrutiny to each and every thing that she has ever said in order to decribilize her.
Possibly, but she's so green she's pretty much a blank slate. We'll see how things work out. Apart from that trooper-in-law stuff, she sounds alright.

The big strength of getting someone so fresh to GOP politics and from such remote place is that she hasn't had a chance to build up the unavoidable dirt that would be unescapable in the modern Republican party.

Bulla564

Banned
Ummm I've read it once or twice in this thread, but guys... I feel sorry for McCain.

As much as maverick, a reformist, a leader, he is, he was PUSSY-WHOOPED by his party to nominate her as his VP. If he truly had a choice, we would have Lieberman.

Poor guy. Not only on policy, but now he is being pushed around by his party regarding HIS campaign.

demon said:
just got back from work....

PALIN?

:lol

Seriously. I guess there are social-conservatives out there who approve of this decision, but really, she is way out of her element if you listen to her speak. I normally don't post this often in PoliGAF, but I just can't believe the choice.

The stuff that many of you are talking about, about how the juxtaposition between this two people is discordant, wooden, and awkward, about how this places into question McCain's judgement, this is the stuff either Biden or Obama have to seize on in the days ahead.

McCain is being called the third term of Bush, but with this pick as well as the various other decisions which show a truly shocking level of campaign handler/adviser control over him, a comparison to Reagan's second term might be more appropriate

Kolgar

I'll wait and see how this plays out, but I'm excited that this just got more interesting.

One commentator on my TV just said, "She's got more executive experience than an absentee senator who's been running for president these past few years."

BotoxAgent said:
wow @ all the bad shit Ive been hearing about her.

Did McCain even vet this woman?

McCain probably though the press would go, "OMG, Palin, this is historical" and they would press would hype this to no tomorrow. So far, any buzz from the "historical" argument has been almost completely subdued by the "she is inexperienced" argument. The talk shows should be interesting this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom