• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdo

Kildace said:
While I think they do have a point, it's amusing how they forget to mention that Clinton is only still in this race because the media has never reported the fact that she had mathematically no chance to win, that the media (ABC) created the Wright controversy and fuelled the flames, that the media dishonestly blew up BitterGate etc.

I think the media got used to having soundbytes that were repeated over and over ultimately sway enough of the public as to have a significant effect. Any "gotcha" they found could be magnified and used to generate devastating FUD that would blow away any chances of recovering in the eyes of public opinion. But in stark contrast to the days of Howard Deans "scream", where that single event brought him to a complete halt, there doesn't seem to be any one thing that is sinking any of the candidates to that degree.

I think there has been saturation of this tactic and also more involvement than even before with links, commentary and Youtube videos instantly corroborating or dismissing the information, giving the media much less of a monopoly over all of this. And so I think the media, not being used to this, is churning and trying to come up with as many gotchas as it can, hoping that the public will latch onto one and it will stick so they can beat on that particular drum for a while.

Kildace said:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0408/9718.html

Politico on Obama and the media.

While I think they do have a point, it's amusing how they forget to mention that Clinton is only still in this race because the media has never reported the fact that she had mathematically no chance to win, that the media (ABC) created the Wright controversy and fuelled the flames, that the media dishonestly blew up BitterGate etc.
This is probably the most damaging problem for Obama, the narrative started by SNL that the media is in the tank for him. Since then people in the media are consistently much more willing to either attack or allow any variety of attacks on him with little or no consideration to credibility or fairness. And this perception still persists, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Kildace said:
While I think they do have a point, it's amusing how they forget to mention that Clinton is only still in this race because the media has never reported the fact that she had mathematically no chance to win...

Neither does Obama.

Kildace said:
She has mathematicaly no chance to edge him out on elected delegates without winning every contest from now on with a 20% margin.

But, neither will have the necessary number to claim victory.

How many Clinton SDs will have to flip in order to give Obama the win? 500? Or is Dean just going to say Obama won?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
siamesedreamer said:

How many Clinton SDs will have to flip in order to give Obama the win? 500? Or is Dean just going to say Obama won?

None. All Obama would need is a majority of the undecided Supers. Alot of whom have promised to support the delegate leader in the first place

maximum360 said:
Obama went to the million man march. Wait for Hannity's/Fox News spin.

Yes he did as an observer. I just watched hannity's america. The quotes he read from a reporter about what B. obama said at the time('95), was he was against anti semitic stuff and the isolation and that they should work with all americans. Hannity thought he had a gotcha moment but he didn't. He went as an observer to learn about the movement.

Triumph

Banned
maximum360 said:
Obama went to the million man march. Wait for Hannity's/Fox News spin.
You mean the million man march that Bill Clinton praised and was a non-violent demonstration of black men wanting to take responsibility in their lives?

WHAT A FUCKER. I'M VOTING FOR HILLARY NOW!

Triumph

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
Gotcha. I didn't realize there were that many left.
Here's some fun math:

oiw-itreallyisover265w.png

siamesedreamer said:
How does one make this distinction? If you go, then you go. Were there activities he didn't participate in or something?

He, went to learn about the "movement" i.e. what was this plan of lifting young black men up and keeping them in school off drugs ect... So he wanted learn how they were going to achieve that. But when they started talking about isolation, he said that nothing would get done.

Again, he was a comm. organizor in those communities where these poor blacks where.

Watch the Hannitys america you will see its a nothing story.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
siamesedreamer said:
How does one make this distinction? If you go, then you go. Were there activities he didn't participate in or something?

You call yourself an observer. That's pretty much all you need in the political world

Here's the link from which Hannity got his story and you will see its a nothing story.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/features/stories/archive/barackobama/

Obama took time off from attending campaign coffees to attend October's Million Man March in Washington, D.C. His experiences there only reinforced his reasons for jumping into politics.

"What I saw was a powerful demonstration of an impulse and need for African-American men to come together to recognize each other and affirm our rightful place in the society," he said. "There was a profound sense that African-American men were ready to make a commitment to bring about change in our communities and lives.

"But what was lacking among march organizers was a positive agenda, a coherent agenda for change. Without this agenda a lot of this energy is going to dissipate. Just as holding hands and singing 'We shall overcome' is not going to do it, exhorting youth to have pride in their race, give up drugs and crime, is not going to do it if we can't find jobs and futures for the 50 percent of black youth who are unemployed, underemployed, and full of bitterness and rage.

"Exhortations are not enough, nor are the notions that we can create a black economy within America that is hermetically sealed from the rest of the economy and seriously tackle the major issues confronting us," Obama said.

"Any solution to our unemployment catastrophe must arise from us working creatively within a multicultural, interdependent, and international economy. Any African-Americans who are only talking about racism as a barrier to our success are seriously misled if they don't also come to grips with the larger economic forces that are creating economic insecurity for all workers--whites, Latinos, and Asians. We must deal with the forces that are depressing wages, lopping off people's benefits right and left, and creating an earnings gap between CEOs and the lowest-paid worker that has risen in the last 20 years from a ratio of 10 to 1 to one of better than 100 to 1.

"This doesn't suggest that the need to look inward emphasized by the march isn't important, and that these African-American tribal affinities aren't legitimate. These are mean, cruel times, exemplified by a 'lock 'em up, take no prisoners' mentality that dominates the Republican-led Congress. Historically, African-Americans have turned inward and towards black nationalism whenever they have a sense, as we do now, that the mainstream has rebuffed us, and that white Americans couldn't care less about the profound problems African-Americans are facing."

"But cursing out white folks is not going to get the job done. Anti-Semitic and anti-Asian statements are not going to lift us up. We've got some hard nuts-and-bolts organizing and planning to do. We've got communities to build."

gluv65 said:
Yes he did as an observer. I just watched hannity's america. The quotes he read from a reporter about what B. obama said at the time('95), was he was against anti semitic stuff and the isolation and that they should work with all americans. Hannity thought he had a gotcha moment but he didn't. He went as an observer to learn about the movement.

It actually came out as a positive for Obama but Hannity will ofcourse try to infer just about anything from it.

Zeed

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
Neither does Obama...neither will have the necessary number to claim victory.

You can't be fucking serious. Even for you this is exceptionally ignorant.

Try using this: http://www.slate.com/id/2185278

Clinton can win every remaining state by a 20 point margin, and Obama would need only 383 superdelegates to win.

He already has about 230 endorsements, and there are 309 uncommitted or unassigned superdelegates left. In other words he can lose every state 40-60, and get less than half of the remaining supers, and still win. Trying to claim that Hillary has some sort of legitimate shot at the nomination is like arguing that the sky is green.

Clevinger

It's amazing that Hannity can't see the absolute hypocrisy of what he's doing to Obama with his own previous association with a neo-nazi. How does this guy sleep at night and be able to look at his children in the eyes?

Pure scum.

Triumph

Banned
You know SD, I have no problem with the fact that you genuinely dislike a lot of Obama's policy decisions and plans and so forth. That's cool and makes total sense given where you fall on the political landscape. But constantly posting petty personal shit just makes you look like a loon, and as a fellow Braves fan we don't need more crazy Braves fans.

APF

adamsappel said:
See what you did there? You originally wrote a perfectly good post and submitted it. Then you immediately edited it so you could act like an asshole.
No you silly bean, you're incorrect--and if moderation is consistent, you shouldn't be able to respond and apologize for a couple of days.

On topic: BTW, Obama's distortion of McCain's comments re: the economy are so enormously disingenuous it's frankly unbelievable.

siamesedreamer said:
I just saw McCain received $23,000 in Social Security last year. :lol
Are you kidding me? HFS, that pisses me off! I think of Social Security as an insurance policy. I'm spending those taxes just in case I need SS to not eat cat food. But, if I'm married to a rich trollop cunt, I'll let that money slide to some other old fart. I think I read somewhere that George Bush the Elder didn't take SS. Good for him, if so.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Clevinger said:
It's amazing that Hannity can't see the absolute hypocrisy of what he's doing to Obama with his own previous association with a neo-nazi. How does this guy sleep at night and be able to look at his children in the eyes?

Pure scum.

On his radio show a couple of days ago, he whined about how the 'libruls' constantly try to end his career by picking through his every word and twisting out-of-context statements into something they're not.

He then resumed trashing Obama for Bittergate. What a friggin' clown.

siamesedreamer said:
I just saw McCain received $23,000 in Social Security last year. :lol
Rich people pay into social security, so they get social security benefits too. Don't tell me you're one of those "only poors should get SS," as I thought you were above that class warfare shit.

Hell, I'm not even above class warfare :)D) and I think rich people should get social security benefits too, as long as they paid into the system.

APF said:
No you silly bean, you're incorrect--and if moderation is consistent, you shouldn't be able to respond and apologize for a couple of days.
Ah, I understand. ronito "fixed" your comment. I apologize for thinking you started off on an even keel.

APF

adamsappel said:
Ah, I understand. ronito "fixed" your comment. I apologize for thinking you started off on an even keel.
For absolutely no reason, and hours after ronito and I had and resolved a perfectly civil exchange, you had to come in and start throwing insults at me? Bye.

harSon

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
Rich people pay into social security, so they get social security benefits too. Don't tell me you're one of those "only poors should get SS," as I thought you were above that class warfare shit.

Hell, I'm not even above class warfare :)D) and I think rich people should get social security benefits too, as long as they paid into the system.

Are you allowed to not accept Social Security?

Cheebs

I havent gotten a bumper sticker for my car yet. I fear jinxing it for some reason. I will the second hillary drops out though.

Also a question for everyone. Do you think the internetzation if you will of politics here to stay? When the internet creates memes and gifs of the candidates it tends to leak into the mainstream media (such as the obsession with the shoulders for Obama...etc).

Or is it a one candidate phenomenon?

Triumph

Banned
I slapped a smaller, circular Obama sticker on the back of my mom's car. She's a big time Hillary supporter, too. Hasn't noticed yet.

you were supposed to inquire as to my having two bumper stickers for two cars and in doing so being ridiculously wealthy and powerful

there was a deal on two

Cheebs

Triumph said:
I slapped a smaller, circular Obama sticker on the back of my mom's car. She's a big time Hillary supporter, too. Hasn't noticed yet.
Cant you convince her? My mother was a HUUUUUUUGE Clinton fan and I eventually wore her down. She still gets a bit angry when my dad trashes Hillary in front of her but she clearly prefers Obama now.

All I know is I love that my NINTY SEVEN year old great-grandma who voted for FDR back in the day voted Obama in the Texas primaries.

Triumph

Banned
Cheebs said:
Cant you convince her? My mother was a HUUUUUUUGE Clinton fan and I eventually wore her down.

She still gets a bit angry when my dad trashes Hillary in front of her but she clearly prefers Obama now.
Hillary herself has been doing a good job of that. I don't have TOO much contact with her, as she lives in the western part of the state (Asheville) and I'm out here on the coast in Wilmington. But she's said she's "officially undecided" from being a firm Hillary supporter. She accepts that Hillary isn't going to be the nominee, and may not bother going to the polls to early vote since she's going to be in Ireland during the actual primary date.

siamesedreamer said:

Stop fucking posting. What a colossal embarrassment.

I hope this isn't forgotten when the next page rolls over.

Cheebs

Triumph said:
Hillary herself has been doing a good job of that. I don't have TOO much contact with her, as she lives in the western part of the state (Asheville) and I'm out here on the coast in Wilmington. But she's said she's "officially undecided" from being a firm Hillary supporter. She accepts that Hillary isn't going to be the nominee, and may not bother going to the polls to early vote since she's going to be in Ireland during the actual primary date.
I would say tell her not to vote but thats "bad" and so on.

But who am I to say? I am someone who committed voter fraud in 2004 (My friends parents were voting absentee because they were going on vacation and were having their son mail it in for them and they were Bush voters. When I was at his house I marked all the other circles which made them void).

OK, this is pretty fucking absurd. Poster A and B come in here saying:

Zeed said:
You can't be fucking serious. Even for you this is exceptionally ignorant..

AdmiralViscen said:
Stop fucking posting. What a colossal embarrassment.

I hope this isn't forgotten when the next page rolls over.

Completely ignoring the exchange that took place decidedly earlier:

grandjedi6 said:
None. All Obama would need is a majority of the undecided Supers. Alot of whom have promised to support the delegate leader in the first place

siamesedreamer said:
Gotcha. I didn't realize there were that many left.

Who's the embarrasment now? Notice the the non-condescending attitude Jedi took in explaining the situation to me. I had a brain fart. Gimme a fucking break...

icarus-daedelus said:
Don't tell me you're one of those "only poors should get SS," as I thought you were above that class warfare shit.

Search "siamesedreamer" and "social security". Learn my friend.

EDIT: Check that. The search comes up shitty. :lol Just know that my position is decidedly anti-entitlement. And SS just happens to be the most expensive government program in the history of Western Civilization.

Cheebs said:
I havent gotten a bumper sticker for my car yet. I fear jinxing it for some reason. I will the second hillary drops out though.
So you can jinx him in the federal election? Jerk!

Also a question for everyone. Do you think the internetzation if you will of politics here to stay? When the internet creates memes and gifs of the candidates it tends to leak into the mainstream media (such as the obsession with the shoulders for Obama...etc).

Or is it a one candidate phenomenon?
Certainly not a one candidate phenomenon, although I can see it staying exclusive to highly "popular" or "cool" candidates like Obama (or, had internet been around back then, Reagan, W.J. Clinton, etc.)

EDIT: Well, I'm too lazy to look the rest up right now - maybe later - but I know that you favor privatization of SS (which I honestly think is kind of retarded) so I'm guessing you probably don't mind insofar as the issue I raised above goes. Which is fine - that's really all I was curious about.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
gluv65 said:
Here's the link from which Hannity got his story and you will see its a nothing story.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/features/stories/archive/barackobama/

Obama took time off from attending campaign coffees to attend October's Million Man March in Washington, D.C. His experiences there only reinforced his reasons for jumping into politics.

"What I saw was a powerful demonstration of an impulse and need for African-American men to come together to recognize each other and affirm our rightful place in the society," he said. "There was a profound sense that African-American men were ready to make a commitment to bring about change in our communities and lives.

"But what was lacking among march organizers was a positive agenda, a coherent agenda for change. Without this agenda a lot of this energy is going to dissipate. Just as holding hands and singing 'We shall overcome' is not going to do it, exhorting youth to have pride in their race, give up drugs and crime, is not going to do it if we can't find jobs and futures for the 50 percent of black youth who are unemployed, underemployed, and full of bitterness and rage.

"Exhortations are not enough, nor are the notions that we can create a black economy within America that is hermetically sealed from the rest of the economy and seriously tackle the major issues confronting us," Obama said.

"Any solution to our unemployment catastrophe must arise from us working creatively within a multicultural, interdependent, and international economy. Any African-Americans who are only talking about racism as a barrier to our success are seriously misled if they don't also come to grips with the larger economic forces that are creating economic insecurity for all workers--whites, Latinos, and Asians. We must deal with the forces that are depressing wages, lopping off people's benefits right and left, and creating an earnings gap between CEOs and the lowest-paid worker that has risen in the last 20 years from a ratio of 10 to 1 to one of better than 100 to 1.

"This doesn't suggest that the need to look inward emphasized by the march isn't important, and that these African-American tribal affinities aren't legitimate. These are mean, cruel times, exemplified by a 'lock 'em up, take no prisoners' mentality that dominates the Republican-led Congress. Historically, African-Americans have turned inward and towards black nationalism whenever they have a sense, as we do now, that the mainstream has rebuffed us, and that white Americans couldn't care less about the profound problems African-Americans are facing."

"But cursing out white folks is not going to get the job done. Anti-Semitic and anti-Asian statements are not going to lift us up. We've got some hard nuts-and-bolts organizing and planning to do. We've got communities to build."

:O

Breaking NEWS!!! Obama thinks black men were bitter too in 1995! Does he still think they are?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom