• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabig2

mckmas8808 said:
Pictures from the record breaking rally!!!!

philly-rally.jpg

2424355912_f7a1609392_o_d.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

philly-rally-2.jpg

Wow, awesome turnout. Like someone else said, almost weirdly religious :lol

Obamamentum goes on.

mckmas8808 said:
YES! 23 minutes worth. You know I'mma keep you updated. :p

http://cbs3.com/video/?id=55802@kyw.dayport.com
This had a lot of new content - worth watching even if you've seen the stump speech. He's going at Hillary a lot stronger now, yet still manages to maintain himself as being "above the fray."

I haven't seen a candidate more successful than Obama at defending himself against a negative attack strategy effectively by going back to the refrain of "that's the same old game - we've got to say no to this type of strategy."

The term teflon man may hold up to be true.

- Cris

Him being a rockstar is actually why some people dislike him. o_O

I remember reading about a person that supported him, until the "Yes, We Can" video, and then stopped supporting Obama because he became too "mainstream."

I personally found that kind of dumb, I support candidates on their policies and on the content of their character.

Cheebs

Star Power said:
:lol :lol Wow. I need to go to an Obama rally, it seems almost like a religious experience :lol
It's incredible. I saw Kerry in 2004, and Bill Clinton in the congressional elections in 2002 but Obama was something else.

Probably because I was picked to stand right behind him and afterwards he grabbed my hand and did one of those little chest bump hugs things and said "How ya' doing man?" to me. :lol That makes it a bit more special.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Cheebs said:
It's incredible. I saw Kerry in 2004, and Bill Clinton in the congressional elections in 2002 but Obama was something else.

Probably because I was picked to stand right behind him and afterwards he grabbed my hand and did one of those little chest bump hugs things and said "How ya' doing man?" to me. :lol That makes it a bit more special.
The fuck?

You chest-bumped the O-bomb?

Cheebs

RubxQub said:
The fuck?

You chest-bumped the O-bomb?
Yeah. I was on CNN too because I was directly behind him. In all it was awesome.

Only somewhat disappointing part was I was slightly taller than him which felt...weird.

Zaptruder

Banned
Cheebs said:
Yeah. I was on CNN too because I was directly behind him. In all it was awesome.

Only somewhat disappointing part was I was slightly taller than him which felt...weird.

You chest bumped the future president of america like yo home boy.

That's it. You've reached your peak in life.

Cheebs

I noticed he chest bumped all the guys who were up there with him who were like in their 20's or younger but shook the hands of the older guys and hugged the women. It was kinda funny.

gkryhewy

Deus Ex Machina said:

Thanks for the pics - I was there; waited until ~5:45 until ~8:45 when he came out. It was a little frustrating, but all worthwhile just to hear him speak for 20-30 minutes in that setting. Felt like being a part of history. I had no idea that he'd approach 35k - that's amazing. During the waiting period, it was cool watching the spotters (secret service, I presume) start popping up on the corners of all the high rises adjacent to the Mall. Security was pretty tight - in the block Obama came out in, everyone was searched, and no bags of any kind were permitted. They did not shut down the streets though, which I thought was marginally risky.

All in all, certainly a unique experience. I could have done without the same 8 songs looping for three hours :lol .

Cheebs

gkrykewy said:
All in all, certainly a unique experience. I could have done without the same 8 songs looping for three hours :lol .
Was it all 70's music from like Stevie Wonder and Earth Wind and Fire? Because when I went they played the same songs from those type of bands OVER AND OVER

gkryhewy

Cheebs said:
Was it all 70's music from like Stevie Wonder and Earth Wind and Fire? Because when I went they played the same songs from those type of bands OVER AND OVER

I feel good, I knew that I would.... Signed, Sealed, Delivered.... Only In America (hillbilly song).... some generic contemporary rock song whose opening percussion sounded like Head Like A Hole.... Right Now (Van Halen) - so no, a decent mix at least.

Kaeru

Banned
gkrykewy said:
I feel good, I knew that I would.... Signed, Sealed, Delivered.... Only In America (hillbilly song).... some generic contemporary rock song whose opening percussion sounded like Head Like A Hole.... Right Now (Van Halen) - so no, a decent mix at least.

No Jay-z???

Amir0x

Banned
Well man Pennsylvania represent

it's close now

we'll lose it, but hopefully 5 point loss. Obama made my penis tingle yesterday, that was some rally!

Triumph

Banned
There's a pair of really great articles on the Philadelphia Citypaper.net website, where two separate reporters spend weeks undercover as volunteers for the two campaigns.

Obama article

Clinton article

There's some awesome stuff in the Hillary article:

The one unifying sentiment among all Hillary volunteers, besides the obvious, is their disdain for Obama supporters, whom they see as both delusional and impossibly peppy. Clintonites don't hate them per se, they just think they're not smart enough to think on their own.

There's also an undercurrent of envy. Obama supporters were everywhere in Philadelphia, and in March and the first days of April, we were not. Tales came in from friends of friends: Obama's people get to organize their own rallies; they have local offices all over the city. This, of course, is the character of their campaign, and is the opposite of Clinton's 1990s-style campaign setup.

Things picked up. About 15 volunteers arrived (a Philadelphia attorney said he came because "my friend is a staffer and he said the camp was having trouble organizing") and rallied rush-hour drivers, eliciting car-horn beeps and cheers. George Perez, a staffer in U.S. Rep. Bob Brady's office and surrogate for the city's Democratic Party, arrived, followed by a car full of men from the painter's union. I helped rig a 4- by 10-foot sign in the restaurant. Chelsea Clinton would be here in 30 minutes.

No one heard when it began, but we soon realized there was a background noise. We stopped to listen: It was a static-riddled voice, like someone was speaking into a megaphone.

... words on a parchment would not be enough to deliver slaves from bondage ...

It was coming from the brownstone next to Cobre.

... it is a story that has seared into my genetic makeup ...

On what looked like the fourth floor, someone had attached a small speaker to the building, and pointed it toward us. The voice picked up.

... the press has scoured every exit poll for the latest evidence of racial polarization ...

"Is that God?" asked an older volunteer.

"No," I said, standing near the brownstone, "that's Obama."

Someone was blasting Obama's speech on race, delivered nine days before at the National Constitution Center, on repeat.

"What's going on?" asked one of the staffers. We explained. "My god," she said, "I can't fucking stand Obama people."
:lol :lol :lol

siamesedreamer said:
OK, this is pretty fucking absurd. Poster A and B come in here saying:

Completely ignoring the exchange that took place decidedly earlier:

Who's the embarrasment now? Notice the the non-condescending attitude Jedi took in explaining the situation to me. I had a brain fart. Gimme a fucking break...

Yea, I saw that you got corrected. So? It doesn't change the fact that you've been making hundreds of posts in these political threads, taking a strong position in support of X and Y, yet you don't know jack shit about the most basic functioning of the process.

It shouldn't take 3 months of spamming these threads for you to be told how SDs work. The information about uncommitted SDs is splashed across dozens of websites and TV shows. It's obvious that you're here more to spit out someone else's thoughts and talking points, not to participate on your own.

How many other topics, that you see fit to constantly bring up, are you totally ignorant on? Your posts here are a waste of everyone's time.

Philly Ignites For Obama

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/04/philly_ignites_for_obama.php
18 Apr 2008 09:36 pm

PHILADELPHIA -- It wasn't so much that Barack Obama had real fight in him tonight, or that more people attended his rally in front of Independence Hall than any other event since he announced his candidacy. It was the spontaneous demonstration of support that happened when it ended.

5,000 people (at least) had nowhere to go but up Market Street. Obama's charge of the night: "Declare independence!" was with them. They started with the familiar "O-Bam-A." By 7th and Market, they had graduated to "Yes we can!" By 10th and Market, with hundreds streaming in between cars on the road, they were just cheering. At first, a few Philly cops, killjoys, tried to rough the crowd to the sidewalks. It didn't work. The cops retreated to the sidewalks. By the time I ducked into my hotel, a full mile away from Independence Park, the Obama crowd was still marching.
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chicanaskies

There is serious support for Obama in PA. I don't think the pundits expected this to happen!!

syllogism

So much for that "clean, respectable" campaign, Mccain

CNN) — John McCain’s campaign sent supporters a fundraising e-mail Friday that claims Hamas approves of Democrat Barack Obama’s foreign policy vision, and is hoping for his victory this fall.

“Barack Obama's foreign policy plans have even won him praise from Hamas leaders,” writes McCain deputy campaign manager Christian Ferry. “Ahmed Yousef, chief political adviser to the Hamas Prime Minister said, ‘We like Mr. Obama and we hope he will win the election. He has a vision to change America.’”

That uncredited quote is drawn from an interview published Monday by conservative news site World Net Daily, whose current headlines include “District bans 'John 3:16,' promotes demonic leer” and “Lesbian demands custody of Christian mom's 6-year-old.”
Even many freepers refer to WND as "World nut daily"

I don't give a damn what the Republican attack machine says. They DO NOT want to have to deal with this guy...and this brand of excitement. If this guy wins the nomination, it'll only get louder and more passionate. Like smelling blood in the water.

If people think this rally is bananas, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

The Republicans don't want to deal with this. Don't believe the hype.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Deus Ex Machina said:
I don't give a damn what the Republican attack machine says. They DO NOT want to have to deal with this guy...and this brand of excitement. If this guy wins the nomination, it'll only get louder and more passionate. Like smelling blood in the water.

Exactly.

harSon

Banned
Deus Ex Machina said:

Obviously. They wouldn't be going out of their way with stories like Fingergate if they weren't honestly fearful :p

Obama Pushes Across Pennsylvania Today on Whistle-stop Train Ride

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/home_top_left_story/20080419_Obama_pushes_across_Pa_.html
Today, Obama embarks on a daylong, whistle-stop train ride, starting at Wynnewood and ending with a nighttime rally on the steps of the Capitol in Harrisburg. At some stations, the candidate is expected to speak from the train as it rolls by at slow speed.
I remember when the trains used to whistle-stop thru back in the day.. back to the basics.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
harSon said:
Obviously. They wouldn't be going out of their way with stories like Fingergate if they weren't honestly fearful :p

The funniest thing about seeing that story at Fox's website is that it probably endeared Obama to their target audience.

"He gave Hillary....the finger? My God, this man must be my President!"

Deus Ex Machina said:

While it's an impressive rally, I certainly don't see how it justifies that last sentence. He's going to lose the state, most likely by double digits on tuesday. What's your point?

PhoenixDark said:
While it's an impressive rally, I certainly don't see how it justifies that last sentence. He's going to lose the state, most likely by double digits on tuesday. What's your point?
Your post has nothing to do with his point. Whats YOUR point?

harSon

Banned
PhoenixDark said:

And? Obama would still win it in the General Election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom