• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
siamesedreamer said:
<snip>picture<snip>
So defense takes up way too fucking much of the budget? Good to know. :p

PS: I've seen these kinds of graphs plenty of times before, and I'm honestly not in the mood for a debate or anything. Was just curious.

harSon

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
Sure, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't take it just because you have the means to live otherwise.

I don't know... It's a tad bit inutile for a million/billionaire many times over to accept a couple thousand dollars.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Cheebs said:
I would say tell her not to vote but thats "bad" and so on.

But who am I to say? I am someone who committed voter fraud in 2004 (My friends parents were voting absentee because they were going on vacation and were having their son mail it in for them and they were Bush voters. When I was at his house I marked all the other circles which made them void).
what the hell, dude.

Cheebs said:
I would say tell her not to vote but thats "bad" and so on.

But who am I to say? I am someone who committed voter fraud in 2004 (My friends parents were voting absentee because they were going on vacation and were having their son mail it in for them and they were Bush voters. When I was at his house I marked all the other circles which made them void).

Moral... dilemma...

Eh, fuck it. You did the right thing.

Well, Bush got in anyway, so it's not like it made a difference, right?

EDIT:
All I know is I love that my NINTY SEVEN year old great-grandma who voted for FDR back in the day voted Obama in the Texas primaries.
Badass! The only other person I know who voted for Obama in the primaries was my mom, which is kind of not good because back in the day the first person she ever voted for was George McGovern. :lol

Stephanopoulos: "You have a very cool style . . . How much of that is tied to your race?"

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2007/05/obama_on_abcs_this_week_with_g.html
This Week with George Stephanopoulos, May 13, 2007:

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: You have a very cool style when you're doing those town meetings where you're out on the campaign trail, and I wonder, how much of that is tied to your race?

SENATOR BARACK OBAMA: That's interesting.

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: One of your friends told "The New Yorker" magazine that the mainstream is just not ready for a fire-breathing black man so do you turn down the temperature on purpose?

SENATOR BARACK OBAMA: You know, I don't think it has to do with race. I think it has to do with when I'm campaigning I'm in a conversation, and what I don't do when I'm campaigning is to try to press a lot of hot buttons and use a lot of cheap applause lines because I want people to get a sense of how I think about this process, I want them to have some ability to walk through with me the difficult choices that we face.
This guy is a piece of work..

APF said:
For absolutely no reason, and hours after ronito and I had and resolved a perfectly civil exchange, you had to come in and start throwing insults at me? Bye.
I'm sure we'll get to that point, too, silly bean.

Largest crowd ever for Obama. . 35,000 people!

capt.19fbd132c3fe44d8aa3527eef1fd6aeb.obama_2008_pajh139.jpg

r1018946034.jpg

capt.4f4cdb0a7f5c4e548d4bf09bc60af246.obama_2008_pajh141.jpg
r950469435.jpg

35,000 people jammed into Independence Park
to see the Democratic presidential candidate, four days before this state's crucial
April 22 primary.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/04/18/crowd_breaks_obama_record_in_p.html

theBishop

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Pictures from the record breaking rally!!!!

philly-rally.jpg

2424355912_f7a1609392_o_d.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

philly-rally-2.jpg

I just got back from that.

I can confirm that it was fucking ridiculous! :D

3 square blocks completely packed with Obama supporters. I couldn't see a damn thing! :lol

Oh shit, Obama's having a rally with Senator Casey, Caroline Kennedy and himself in Scranton this Sunday...I can't remember if I have to work, but if I have the day off and I get to go I'll shit myself. I'm from NY btw.

mckmas8808 said:
Pictures from the record breaking rally!!!!
philly-rally-2.jpg
OK . . . from L to R:
L) I gave Obama $500 and all I got was some CHANGE.
C) Buggles for Obama[?]
R) Feminists for Obama.

Naw . . . buggles can't be right . . . what is it?

o_O

When I originally posted this, I got a 500 Server Error. So, I left, got some lunch, and returned, hit the send button. I apologize for the time warp.

As for those pictures, that's ridiculously awesome. I like the candid shot that shows the diversity in the crowd.

As for those girls, I think the one on the left says "I gave 2,500 dollars to Obama and all I got was some CHANGE."

The one in the middle might be a plausible "Muggles for Obama." Either that, or there's some local thing/team/club/pirate ship that ends in "uggles."

I want more pictures!

speculawyer said:
OK . . . from L to R:
L) I gave Obama $500 and all I got was some CHANGE.
C) Buggles for Obama[?]
R) Feminists for Obama.

Naw . . . buggles can't be right . . . what is it?
Probably "huggles." And the first one is "2500 dollars," which is illegal. Shame, Obama, shame.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Tamanon said:
Hillary only really had a struggle in the Primary, not in the Senate general one, although one might argue that she has been in the public eye more because she wanted to be, in order to build a Presidential campaign.

BTW, not a superdelegate, but Robert Reich to officially endorse Obama today. Kinda a surprise that he's actually endorsing.

Not that surprising. There's some history there.

In Clinton's first year the biggest issue was dealing with the economy. The recession was officially over but it was the middle of the jobless recovery that followed. Reich argued that the administration should spend money on infrastructure development, while Robert Rubin, chair of the National Economic Council, said the focus should be on balancing the budget.

Rubin won out, so the administration made a big push to balance the budget, which only passed by Al Gore's tiebreaking vote. Generally speaking, Rubin's stance was considered the more centrist and neoliberal, while Reich was supported by leftist labor theorists.

There's a pretty widely held perception that Reich's had a little bit of a grudge since then.

On a side note, Paul Krugman criticized some of Reich's work in the early 80's. He called Reich a "policy entrepreneur", meaning someone who presented himself as an expert without the real academic credentials to back it up and sought influence with politicians. Later he slammed the Clinton administration for relying too much on these people and not on real experts.

Weird thing is that Reich is supporting Obama and Krugman's now backing a Clinton, even though Obama's economic team is exclusively made up of experts in the field, apparently at Obama's insistence.

In any case, I'm not sure Obama and Clinton would pursue very different economic policies, since Obama appeared at the unveiling of the Hamilton Institute, which is Robert Rubin's new think tank.

AniHawk

It's great seeing him hug that girl and be so close to the crowd, but it makes me uneasy. I just hope he's well-protected.

EDIT: Daily Show thing? He's appearing on the Daily Show?

woeds

AniHawk said:
It's great seeing him hug that girl and be so close to the crowd, but it makes me uneasy. I just hope he's well-protected.

EDIT: Daily Show thing? He's appearing on the Daily Show?
You bet he is, upcoming monday

AniHawk

XxenobladerxX said:
There were people crying there? That makes me kind of uneasy..

Was that in reference to my comment? Because I'm hoping that with so many people, there won't be some random lunatic with a gun. It only takes one.

And GAF keeps delivering.

I hope that I get to attend a rally. : (

Comments on the images: Yeah, crying is a bit out there, but I did feel extremely moved when I listened to "Yes, We Can" for the first time.

And on that topic, will.i.am and co. performed at the event? : O

How was that?

I'm really digging the diversity in the crowd.

Crying, not out of sadness, but out of a sort of passion, shows an overabundance of emotion which usually indicates that emotion has surpassed reason. That makes people act blindly and irrationally when it involves someone in a leadership position. Thus, people that don't feel as strongly tend to feel uneasy, and when someone outright opposes that leader's stances, it freaks them out.

And Amir0x is scaring me. : (

I don't want Obama to get shot.

I hear Anihawks sentiments, in such large crowds and with all the noise and whatnot. it'd be way too easy for someone to meld in with a simple handgun and take a shot. I do recall though that all important people are given bulletproof vests and more just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom