• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
APF said:
Really? Seriously Obama? Why is it every attack you've launched on McCain has been a blatant lie or incredible distortion? In terms of fabriaction, this is actually worse than the "100 years" distortion, which I don't think helped Barack at all.

Get ready to see more of this. The #1 bulliten point in the Democrats plan for the fall is "McCain = Bush 2.0"

APF

bob_arctor said:
Well, now you know what it's like for "liberals" all the fucking time. ;-)
Yeah, but Obama's supporters are doing it to other Dems--you know, when their candidate isn't questioning ordinary Americans' patriotism.

I mean, WTF???

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Branduil said:
People are defending Obama lying now?

We are not worthy. :lol

What do you want from us? A long exposition detailing our horrible awakening at the fallibility of our Messiah? All I'm submitting is a shrug and maybe a slice of this cake I'm eating. No, wait, Messiah tells me I can have it all to myself.

Odrion

Banned
APF said:
I don't think so at all; her negatives have been with her for as long as we've known her. It's far easier to resolve your feelings about someone you believe to be untrustworthy, lying. Hillary's "whoopsies" are turned into "there you go again" jokes, whereas IMO Obama's distortions will widen doubts: why are we supposed to be jazzed about this guy again?
IMO, it is a lot riskier to trust a nation to "warm up" to someone than the risk of "disillusionment" especially during smear season.

Branduil

bob_arctor said:
What do you want from us? A long exposition detailing our horrible awakening at the fallibility of our Messiah? All I'm submitting is a shrug and maybe a slice of this cake I'm eating. No, wait, Messiah tells me I can have it all to myself.
Just admit he lied and it was the wrong thing to do.

grandjedi6

APF said:
Good article on the role of the press in this cycle:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0408/9718.html

I really think this article misses the point of the outrage against ABC. Its not so much because they were biased again Obama and asked him more questions, but because the questions themselves were stupid for both candidates

Branduil said:
Just admit he lied and it was the wrong thing to do.

He lied and it was the wrong thing to do

harSon

Banned
Branduil said:
People are defending Obama lying now?

We are not worthy. :lol

We don't hear APF complaining about John Mccain twisting Obama's statements on working class Americans. I wonder why....

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
grandjedi6 said:
He lied and it was the wrong thing to do

i would put it differently. in this instance. he acted just like any other politician. yup, even hillary and mccain.. proves he isnt infallible, but it doesnt completely negate everything he is trying to do.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
harSon said:
We don't hear APF complaining about John Mccain twisting Obama's statements on working class Americans. I wonder why....

APF's point is that those other politicians haven't portrayed themselves as new-school politics above it all changey-hope land. So it's fine when they do it, more or less. It's how some people who hate Republicans may actually admire their unity in the relentless pursuit of evil whereas Dems kinda waffle and bullshit and capitulate.

What APF doesn't realize is that none of this matters anymore. Bush's legacy is an Obama presidency.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
1993 George Stephanopoulos scolds 2008 George Stephanopoulos:

Past Stephanopoulos said:
What he’s going to do in this campaign is focus on what’s important to the American people, on the jobs and the education. That’s what the American people care about. They want to move into the future. They don’t want to be diverted by side issues, and they’re not going to let the Republican attack machine divert them.

courtesy of C&L as always...

Nothing Obama does will ever please APF so why bother even engaging in futile conversation. It's one thing to have solid arguments, but it's another to mention that Obama is the "Messiah" every other post by APF.

Now this is an issue that should be addressed by Obama for some clarification on his part. Obama's thing about the gun questionnaire thing is another one he has to own up to or provide evidence of something else. With respect to Hillary, there's no reasonable argument that can be made to legitimize her candidacy for president. I was willing to give her a past earlier in the campaign season but she's shown time and time again that she will employ every method, no matter how divisive or damaging to the party to stroke her ego by giving her a shot at the presidency.

McCain is not better. In fact he is the worst. I believe he's willing to disown every value, opinion, or strong belief he had to get to the presidency while hiding behind the image given to him by the press as a "maverick". After Kerry got blasted for being a flip-flopper I hope McCain gets destroyed for his shameful maneuvers.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
APF, your entire raging hard-on is over this?

Obama said:
"John McCain went on television and said that there has been quote "great progress economically over the last seven and a half years," Obama told a Pennsylvania crowd. "John McCain thinks our economy has made great progress under George W. Bush. Now, how could somebody who has been traveling across this country, somebody who came to Erie, PA, say we've made great progress?”

McCain said:
“American families are hurting and Barack Obama is being recklessly dishonest," McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds said. "It is clear that Barack Obama is intentionally twisting John McCain’s words completely out of context. Obama is guilty of deliberately distorting John McCain’s comments for pure political gain, which is exactly what Senator Obama was complaining about just yesterday."

Really? Go rub one out then.

Did you cry foul when McCain twisted and lied about Obama's bitter comment?

Don't answer that, that was a rhetorical question.

Just because CoolTrick is banned, it don't mean you have to stoop to his level on this, well, non-issue.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
reilo said:
Did you cry foul when McCain twisted and lied about Obama's bitter comment?

I know it was rhetorical but I kinda answered this a few posts up. Dunno if APF agrees with me but I think it's a pretty good explanation of why he only bitches about Obama.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
bob_arctor said:
I know it was rhetorical but I kinda answered this a few posts up. Dunno if APF agrees with me but I think it's a pretty good explanation of why he only bitches about Obama.

That's the exact same argument CoolTrick used.

Basically, what they want is for Obama to be pummeled by the opposition carte blanche and not allow Obama to criticize his opponents one bit.

Apparently dissecting the policy views of the opponent is a no-no, but it's fair-game to take a shit on Obama's head because he shook some dude's hand 10 years ago.

Deus Ex Machina said:
Obama Pushes Across Pennsylvania Today on Whistle-stop Train Ride

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/home_top_left_story/20080419_Obama_pushes_across_Pa_.html

Check out this video of Barack boarding the train to kick off today's whistle stop tour!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ruv5YyOuUsg.
Wynnewood Whistle Stop.

6,000 people turned out to see Barack and Senator Bob Casey at the first stop of today's "On Track for Change" Whistlestop tour in Wynnewood, Pennsylvania!

Check out some pictures and video from the stop:

2425036649_2f18c76472435.jpg

2425049331_1e47df5880406.jpg

2425055839_2aeb5f9615477.jpg

2425849616_2949f748f1666.jpg

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c8XUM1D6c4

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'll let you guess which website this quote comes from.

This website is a support Hillary website. A whine-free zone of support for Hillary.

The tears, the laughter, it won't stop.

thekad said:
I'm still waiting for someone to show me where Obama lied.

He purposely distorted McCain's comments on the economy, just as he continues to distort McCain's 100 years comment.

Honestly though, it's not a big deal to me anymore. I'm tired of complaining about Obama's small political jabs. Compared to Clinton he's doing very little wrong. I'll give him a pass

quadriplegicjon said:
fyi. your beloved hillary has done the same.
Obviously, you didn't read the rest of his post.
PhoenixDark said:
Honestly though, it's not a big deal to me anymore. I'm tired of complaining about Obama's small political jabs. Compared to Clinton he's doing very little wrong. I'll give him a pass

Triumph

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
He purposely distorted McCain's comments on the economy, just as he continues to distort McCain's 100 years comment.

BU BU BUT HE SAYS HE'S BRINGING A NEW POLITICS TO WASHINGTON! IT'S NOT FAIR!

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
ninj4junpei said:
Obviously, you didn't read the rest of his post.

no, i read it.. but clinton people seem to bring that up quite a lot. i just find it ironic.

edit

in hindsight. i should have probably saved that comment for someone else, because PD hasnt really been bad at all (in that regard)..

Triumph said:
BU BU BUT HE SAYS HE'S BRINGING A NEW POLITICS TO WASHINGTON! IT'S NOT FAIR!

To me these "new politics" have more to do with important issues, like taking lobbyist money, and not pissy political comments on the opposition. Obama would have a lot to live up to if he becomes president, and if he doesn't I could see him being a one term president. But considering the first black president only served one term and was fuck awesome, who knows

thekad

Banned
PhoenixDark said:

He probably "cherry-picked" both comments, but his two points - 1) McCain supports an indefinite occupation of Iraq and 2) McCain's economic policy is essentially Bush's economic policy - both ring true, no matter how much APF and Branduil feign indignation.

Diablos

That ABC debate was just hideous.

Charlie Gibson and George Stephanopoulos should be ashamed of themselves.

DUHR WHY IS U NOT WEARIN' DEM FLAG PINSSSS MR. OBAMA SIR

I'm glad ABC is so fucking aware of what's important. Seems like it made Obama look bad too, because they basically backed him into a corner.

U.S. Rep. Tim Ryan endorses Hillary Clinton for president

http://www.vindy.com/news/2008/apr/19/us-rep-tim-ryan-endorses-hillary-clinton-for
YOUNGSTOWN — U.S. Rep. Tim Ryan of Niles, D-17th, formally announced his support for the candidacy of U.S. Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton for president.

Citing her experience and economic platform, Ryan, in a press release issued Saturday, said he believes that Clinton, D-N.Y., if elected president, is in the best position to create jobs and economic growth in Northeast Ohio.

Ryan is a superdelegate, as are all the Democratic members of Congress in Ohio, so his endorsement increases Clinton’s delegate count. Ryan represents portions of Mahoning and Trumbull counties.
Is he living in a different Ohio? I guess he doesn't mind all the jobs lost to NAFTA.

grandjedi6

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I'm surprised there isn't several pages dedicated to Obama's slump in the Gallup Poll. This could seriously hurt him in the GE.

Uh national numbers for the GE mean nothing this far away

grandjedi6

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Sure. There are people that believe Democrats are out of touch with middle America and McCain will surely keep bringing this issue up using PA as an example.

That has nothing to do with the fact that the Gallup national poll means nothing 6 months from the election.

Branduil

I've had a theory for a long time that there's a group of people who basically view politics as a religion and they're looking for a messiah.

When politicians like Obama come around and some people react the way they do it's hard to deny it.

grandjedi6

Branduil said:
I've had a theory for a long time that there's a group of people who basically view politics as a religion and they're looking for a messiah.

When politicians like Obama come around and some people react the way they do it's hard to deny it.

Rockstar syndrome. It happens all the time with a variety of celebrities. Not just Obama and politics

Branduil

grandjedi6 said:
Rockstar syndrome. It happens all the time with a variety of celebrities. Not just Obama and politics
I would say it's human nature. People are inherently religious and will find a person or cause to follow religiously without fail.

Branduil said:

It's more like, "we've been in the political shitter for a number of years with the 'real world' effects now starting to hit us in the face...man, this guy's speeches, his platform, and his story feel the most diametrically opposed to all the wrong turns that have led us here 'til now."

(CNN) — In a sign he's comfortable playing the attack dog for John McCain's presidential campaign, Mitt Romney issued stinging criticisms of Barack Obama Friday, calling the Illinois senator a "quintessential politician."

"He, in the debate, made a number of promises that he cannot possibly deliver — populist approaches that sound good to the public but that are counter to the growth and strength of our economy and the well-being of our nation," Romney, who abandoned his own presidential bid in February, told the National Journal.

In an apparent reference to Obama's recent comments calling some small town Americans "bitter," Romney also said the Democratic presidential candidate has "subscribed fully to the kind of elitist view of America that has long characterized those of the most liberal persuasion in our country."

"So I think what's happening is that people are getting a better sense about Barack Obama," Romney continued. "They didn't know who he was… but now we're getting a better view of Barack Obama as the — not just the liberal, but the political liberal that he is."

Romney was a fierce critic of John McCain when the two were primary rivals, though he has since repeatedly praised McCain and indicated his willingness to serve as the Arizona senator's running mate.
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

Hilarious coming from Robo-Romney of all people

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Sure. There are people that believe Democrats are out of touch with middle America and McCain will surely keep bringing this issue up using PA as an example.
It's mighty interesting how the Republicans can enact 7 years of policy that negatively affects middle America yet somehow bullshit those most affected into believing that they're somehow more in touch with "traditional values" than the opposing party. It reminds me of the Christian Hard Rock episode of South Park.

Stan: Yeah, you don't even know anything about Christianity.

Cartman: I know enough to exploit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom