• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jak stat

Triumph said:
There's a pair of really great articles on the Philadelphia Citypaper.net website, where two separate reporters spend weeks undercover as volunteers for the two campaigns.

Obama article

Clinton article

There's some awesome stuff in the Hillary article:

:lol :lol :lol
Oh man. The stuff you bolded describes the anti-Obama supporter hate we get here. :lol

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
jak stat said:
Oh man. The stuff you bolded describes the anti-Obama supporter hate we get here. :lol

I tried to deflect the conversation to Obama's fervent volunteers. "You know, I see those kids all over my neighborhood," he said as we walked up the steps to the next house, "and the more I see them, well, I really think they're brainwashed."

That pretty much sums it all up, eh?

Zaptruder

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
While it's an impressive rally, I certainly don't see how it justifies that last sentence. He's going to lose the state, most likely by double digits on tuesday. What's your point?

Oh PhoenixDark. Keep the hope alive!

THE STREAMS!! THEY HAVE CROSSED!!!

041908DailyUpdateGraph1_trew634.gif

Gallup Daily: Clinton 46%, Obama 45%

(on the same day obama picked up another super delegate, a rare non-add-on weekend super)

kkaabboomm said:
THE STREAMS!! THEY HAVE CROSSED!!!

041908DailyUpdateGraph1_trew634.gif

Gallup Daily: Clinton 46%, Obama 45%
Yeah, he's going to get trashed in Pennsylvania. The drop-off after the debate, even as unfair as it was, is very real and it's unlikely it'll reverse in a mere 3 days.

one interesting thing, Clinton gets up to the high end of her numbers, 46, while obama busts through the low end of his numbers (numbers being the 3% differential gallup says they like to hover around for the past month)

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
That gallup poll doesn`t look good for obama, bittergate and the debate must have really hurt him, unless something big happens i don`t think he will win Pennsylvania :/

APF

The Politico said:
Obama's secret weapon: the media

My, oh my, but weren’t those fellows from ABC News rude to Barack Obama at this week’s presidential debate.

Nothing but petty, process-oriented questions, asked in a prosecutorial tone, about the Democratic front-runner’s personal associations and his electability. Where was the substance? Where was the balance?

Where indeed. Hillary Rodham Clinton and her aides have been complaining for months about imbalance in news coverage. For the most part, the reaction to her from the political-media commentariat has been: Stop whining.

That’s still a good response now that it is Obama partisans — some of whom are showing up in distressingly inappropriate places — who are doing the whining.

The shower of indignation on Charlie Gibson and George Stephanopoulos over the last few days is the clearest evidence yet that the Clintonites are fundamentally correct in their complaint that she has been flying throughout this campaign into a headwind of media favoritism for Obama.

Last fall, when NBC’s Tim Russert hazed Clinton with a bunch of similar questions — a mix of fair and impertinent — he got lots of gripes from Clinton supporters.

But there was nothing like the piling on from journalists rushing to validate the Obama criticisms and denouncing ABC’s performance as journalistically unsound.

The response was itself a warning about a huge challenge for reporters in the 2008 cycle: preserving professional detachment in a race that will likely feature two nominees, Obama and John McCain, who so far have been beneficiaries of media cheerleading.

[...]

If Obama was covered like Clinton is, one feels certain the media focus would not have been on the questions, but on a candidate performance that at times seemed tinny, impatient and uncertain.

The difference seems clear: Many journalists are not merely observers but participants in the Obama phenomenon.

(Harris only here: As one who has assigned journalists to cover Obama at both Politico and The Washington Post, I have witnessed the phenomenon several times. Some reporters come back and need to go through detox, to cure their swooning over Obama’s political skill. Even VandeHei seemed to have been bitten by the bug after the Iowa caucus.)

(VandeHei only here: There is no doubt reporters are smitten with Obama's speeches and promises to change politics. I find his speeches, when he's on, pretty electric myself. It certainly helps his cause that reporters also seem very tired of the Clintons and their paint-by-polls approach to governing.)

All this is hardly the end of the world. Clinton is not behind principally because of media bias; Obama is not ahead principally because of media favoritism. McCain won the GOP nomination mainly through good luck and the infirmities of his opposition. But the fact that lots of reporters personally like the guy — and a few seem to have an open crush — did not hurt.

But the protectiveness toward Obama revealed in the embarrassing rush of many journalists to his side this week does touch on at least four deeper trends in the news business.

[...]

Good article on the role of the press in this cycle:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0408/9718.html

from the philly ... we were clinton/obama volunteers (obama article)

At City Hall we encountered a large group of anti-Scientology protesters decked out in orange wigs and rubber masks. Evan was beside himself with delight, asking them if they wanted to combine forces with us.

"I don't know if Obama would really want to be affiliated with us," said one of the protesters, removing her pink plastic pig nose for a moment, and speaking slowly to emphasize the obviousness of the remark.

"Well, do you have any extra signage?" responded Evan, not to be deterred.

"But it's all Scientology-related," said the girl.

"Bye-bye, then," yelled Evan. "Go Ob-a-a-a-a-ma."

Anon + Obama = Voltron....COOOOMMMMBIIINNNEEE!!!! :lol :lol :lol

Rur0ni

We always assumed that he would lose PA. It is no surprise to any level headed person. So when CNN flashes Clinton winning a major victory, there will be no surprises and bannings. The real upcoming anybody's game contest is Indiana.

This race is still over. Have a good day.

The polls are going nuts. First the Newsweek poll showing a massive swing in Obama's direction and now Gallup showing the swing in favor of Clinton. :/

Odrion

Banned
Rur0ni said:
We always assumed that he would lose PA. It is no surprise to any level headed person. So when CNN flashes Clinton winning a major victory, there will be no surprises and bannings. The real upcoming anybody's game contest is Indiana.

This race is still over. Have a good day.
When is Indiana?

APF

Recap:

Obama hits McCain on economy

[...]

In the economically challenged northwest corner of Pennsylvania, Obama turned his focus from complaining about the blows he took in a debate with Clinton earlier this week to the economy.

"John McCain thinks our economy has made great progress under George W. Bush," he told an audience at Penn State Erie, referencing an interview McCain had Thursday with Bloomberg Television.

[...]

But Obama only partially quoted McCain, who also acknowledged the struggles people are facing in a down economy.

"I think if you look at the overall record and millions of jobs have been created, et cetera, et cetera, you could make an argument that there's been great progress economically over that period of time," McCain told the network. "But that's no comfort. That's no comfort to families now that are facing these tremendous economic challenges."

Not surprisingly, that triggered a response from McCain's campaign.

"American families are hurting and Barack Obama is being recklessly dishonest. It is clear that Barack Obama is intentionally twisting John McCain's words completely out of context," McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds said in a statement. "Obama is guilty of deliberately distorting John McCain's comments for pure political gain, which is exactly what Sen. Obama was complaining about just yesterday."

Here's the video comparing the two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WynLgJFBxSs

Now, listen to this disconnected politics-as-usual pollyanna: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E_vEiSm-XM

Really? Seriously Obama? Why is it every attack you've launched on McCain has been a blatant lie or incredible distortion? In terms of fabriaction, this is actually worse than the "100 years" distortion, which I don't think helped Barack at all.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
APF said:
Recap:

Now, listen to this disconnected politics-as-usual pollyanna: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E_vEiSm-XM

Really? Seriously Obama? Why is it every attack you've launched on McCain has been a blatant lie or incredible distortion? In terms of fabriaction, this is actually worse than the "100 years" distortion, which I don't think helped Barack at all.

that youtube video does not show what obama was referring to. .. McCain's camp didnt even deny the quote:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/04/18/mccain-camp-calls-obama-recklessly-dishonest/

The McCain campaign immediately took issue with the comment, noting the Arizona senator also said he knows families are facing "tremendous economic challenges."

he said what obama quoted.. but he also said whats in the youtube video..

its clear that obama completely cherry picked his comment, but he didnt fabricate it.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
APF said:
Recap:

Really? Seriously Obama? Why is it every attack you've launched on McCain has been a blatant lie or incredible distortion? In terms of fabrication, this is actually worse than the "100 years" distortion, which I don't think helped Barack at all.

*shrug* Still think McCain's "Hamas" email is worse. Should we should be offended/disheartened/disappointed/disillusioned that Obama isn't the infallible Messiah you think we all think he is?

Though I think your point is that McCain is so fucking horrible that there's no reason to distort anything he says. I can agree with that.

APF

quadriplegicjon said:
that youtube video does not show what obama was referring to
I posted the quote: "I think if you look at the overall record and millions of jobs have been created, et cetera, et cetera, you could make an argument that there's been great progress economically over that period of time"

Not only did Obama fabricate what McCain was trying to say, as the second video showed, Obama believes pretty much the same thing: that while there's an argument the economy has expanded, everyday people are struggling economically.

bob_arctor: the Hamas mention is just a shot across the bow. But literally twisting McCain's words in a blatant and easily-revealed way? Twice now? I mean, this is appearing to be Obama's GE strategy, which is shameless for someone who won as being less-divisive and more willing to unite the country and work with Republicans.

thekad

Banned
McCain says: "The economy has made great progress."

Obama says: "McCain has said that the economy has made great progress."

APF cries foul. Again.

APF

MCCAIN: You can make the argument that the economy has progressed, but that's no comfort to people who are really struggling

OBAMA: OMG MCCAIN SAID THE ECONOMY HAS MADE PROGRESSED HOW OUT OF TOUCH OMG TELL THAT TO PEOPLE WHO ARE STRUGGLING OMG

OBAMA: BTW guys, the economy has made progress over the last couple of years, but still people are strugging

pxleyes

Banned
APF said:
MCCAIN: You can make the argument that the economy has progressed, but that's no comfort to people who are really struggling

OBAMA: OMG MCCAIN SAID THE ECONOMY HAS MADE PROGRESSED HOW OUT OF TOUCH OMG TELL THAT TO PEOPLE WHO ARE STRUGGLING OMG

OBAMA: BTW guys, the economy has made progress over the last couple of years, but still people are strugging
You get sadder all the time. Thats your attempt at attacking Obama? He offers up an opinion and you call him out for having an opinion?

APF

Odrion said:
Yeah but do you really want Republicans to run the country for four more years?
The question is, if you feel like lying is the way to get that office, why are you voting for someone who puts on airs that he's the less aggressive, less divisive figure? Why vote for that guy, only to have it in the back of your mind that your real goal is to slash-and-burn, lie, distort, etc?

Edit: I honestly felt no one would be able to look at such clear evidence and actually defend Obama's behavior in this. Wow.

pxleyes

Banned
APF said:
Edit: I honestly felt no one would be able to look at such clear evidence and actually defend Obama's behavior in this. Wow.
Bullshit. You wouldn't have posted it if you didn't think people weren't going to respond.

Odrion

Banned
APF said:
The question is, if you feel like lying is the way to get that office, why are you voting for someone who puts on airs that he's the less aggressive, less divisive figure? Why vote for that guy, only to have it in the back of your mind that your real goal is to slash-and-burn, lie, distort, etc?

I liked Hilary only because I thought she'd run a vicious campaign, if Obama can have a positive and enthusiastic image while simultaneously attacking and labeling the Republicans as shitty then I'd have my cake and eat it too.

maynerd

Banned
APF you've convinced me I'm voting McCain. I'm glad you showed me that video. My eyes are open now. I'm glad you are here to call out people who distort and cherry pick quotes for political gain. You are the truth teller.

APF

Odrion said:
I liked Hilary only because I thought she'd run a vicious campaign, if Obama can have a positive and enthusiastic image while simultaneously attacking and labeling the Republicans as shitty then I'd have my cake and eat it too.
Fair enough, but I wonder how strongly that will hold. Hillary's backers are not swayed by the revelation she's a tenacious no-holds-barred fighter, while Obama's charm may wear off if he's called-out on this too many times by a press corps that is already sympathetic to John McCain the man, leaving little but the already existent doubts over issues of Obama's experience and readiness to hold office. Things like this may be the excuse people--especially independents, etc--need to sway them from caring this cycle, whereas Hillary's a known quantity that's easier to resolve your lesser of two evils support for since you've known her for decades.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
FlightOfHeaven said:
I remember reading about a person that supported him, until the "Yes, We Can" video, and then stopped supporting Obama because he became too "mainstream."

What the shit? Like he was voting for Obama because he was the indie candidate?

How can you get more mainstream than the fucking president of the United States?

Odrion

Banned
APF said:
Fair enough, but I wonder how strongly that will hold. Hillary's backers are not swayed by the revelation she's a tenacious no-holds-barred fighter, while Obama's charm may wear off if he's called-out on this too many times by a press corps that is already sympathetic to John McCain the man, leaving little but the already existent doubts over issues of Obama's experience and readiness to hold office. Things like this may be the excuse people--especially independents, etc--need to sway them from caring this cycle, whereas Hillary's a known quantity that's easier to resolve your lesser of two evils support for since you've known her for decades.
I don't think his positive image will wear off, already we're seeing how any sort of attack on him is seen as "unfair" and by the time Obama and McCain fight we'll be witnessing an orgy of smearing on both sides, and it'll be a lot easier to drive a "Bush 3rd term" point home than it will be to drive any negative equivalent towards Obama.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
APF said:

Doesn't this kind of thinking fall under the moral relativism umbrella somehow? In this case, Obama is the U.S. and McCain is any other country.

What the U.S. does is always good cuz, you know, we're the good guys. That other country, well, too bad for them.

APF

bob_arctor said:
Doesn't this kind of thinking fall under the moral relativism umbrella somehow? In this case, Obama is the U.S. and McCain is any other country.

What the U.S. does is always good cuz, you know, we're the good guys. That other country, well, too bad for them.
Yeah, that's basically what Obama supporters have become--look at the comments suggesting Hillary is aiding the enemy, or really is the enemy, etc, for daring to challenge Dear Leader. Same tune, different tuners.

Odrion: that charge of "unfairness" is going to wear-out real quick, with Obama the front-runner and Obama the likely winner in GE polling. There's going to be a counter-backlash, just as there was when Hillary / SNL noted the press love affair with the Obamessiah.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
APF said:
Yeah, that's basically what Obama supporters have become--look at the comments suggesting Hillary is aiding the enemy, or really is the enemy, etc, for daring to challenge Dear Leader. Same tune, different tuners.

Well, now you know what it's like for "liberals" all the fucking time. ;-)

Odrion

Banned
APF said:
Yeah but I think all of the negative bias Hillary is getting is the reason she shouldn't get the nomination. She has a bitchy image, we all know that, the more she attacks anyone the more she distances herself from the voters.

APF

Odrion said:
Yeah but I think all of the negative bias Hillary is getting is the reason she shouldn't get the nomination. She has a bitchy image, we all know that, the more she attacks anyone the more she distances herself from the voters.
I don't think so at all; her negatives have been with her for as long as we've known her. It's far easier to resolve your feelings about someone you believe to be untrustworthy, lying. Hillary's "whoopsies" are turned into "there you go again" jokes, whereas IMO Obama's distortions will widen doubts: why are we supposed to be jazzed about this guy again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom