• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pxleyes

Banned
NLB2 said:
The WSJ and IBD print editorials from liberals all the time. Does that mean they're not conservative newspapers?

Do you remember this?

It means they are businesses that try to make money.

the disgruntled gamer said:
Why does that make less sense? You give them the heads-up just in advance, and then an hour later you've got the signs online and the two appearing together at the event.

I'd prefer a day in advance, not at the last minute.

Besides, it's 9am Pacific, and I didn't get no text message.
Um, was it confirmed for you to get a text message at 9 am PST? No.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
NLB2 said:
The WSJ and IBD print editorials from liberals all the time. Does that mean they're not conservative newspapers?

Do you remember this?
betrayus%20ad.JPG
that's an ad, not an editorial

and even though i'm liberal i read the WSJ whenever i get a chance to. i have no glaring issue with their news reporting. shocking.

TDG

Banned
Dax01 said:
Um, was it confirmed for you to get a text message at 9 am PST? No.
*SIGH*

That was my point, that a bunch of people were expecting texts at xx:xx time when nothing has been confirmed.

Azrael

BotoxAgent said:
what are the chances of McCain picking Huck as VP?

None. Too many embarrassing sermons that can be used against him, and after the Reverend Wright controversy they wouldn't be able to argue it isn't fair game.

the disgruntled gamer said:
Hillary being VP is not the only path to unity.

I'm not saying he should have vetted and picked her - but not vetting her just seems stupid. She's got fans who would cry foul whether she was vetted or not, but not vetting makes Obama look bad - and I bet the media will beat the shit out of this story. It just doesn't match up with Obama's "she's on everyone's short list" rhetoric

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
BREAKING NEWS: MSNBC Political Analyst, Andrea Mitchell, says "Sebelius' dump today sounded and smelled very Executive...Presidential even."

Developing story

PhoenixDark said:
I'm not saying he should have vetted and picked her - but not vetting her just seems stupid. She's got fans who would cry foul whether she was vetted or not, but not vetting makes Obama look bad - and I bet the media will beat the shit out of this story. It just doesn't match up with Obama's "she's on everyone's short list" rhetoric

The bending over backwards for Hillary fans is really annoying.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
RubxQub said:
BREAKING NEWS: MSNBC Political Analyst, Andrea Mitchell, says "Sebelius' dump today sounded and smelled very Executive...Presidential even."

Developing story

I took a very executive sounding dump today too.

NLB2

Banned
speculawyer said:
Wow . . . that was one of the dumbest posts I've seen in a while. :lol
Hey jackass, explain why that ad didn't appear in other newspapers for radically lowered prices?

If you don't think that ad being in the NYTs was a political decision, then I've got some swamp land in Florida to sell to you...

TDG

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
That's true, though the media will probably be too busy talking about the actually veep to worry about Hilldawg. IF this is true (you never know), then it is surprising, especially considering that she was on the initial list that was floated around to democrats in congress.

RubxQub said:

Developing story

But then there's this: http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gxVW-aUPQsPkU0JKEleSPNCyxSsAD92NDJGG0

AP Breaking News: Chet Edwards is emerging as a VP finalist.

Obama is hours away from naming running mate

By LIZ SIDOTI – 5 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Presidential candidate Barack Obama is hours away from naming his running mate, as little-known Texas congressman Chet Edwards is emerging as a finalist.

Democratic officials say that Edwards was one of the few Democrats whose background was checked by Obama's campaign, and he was a finalist for the job.

Edwards is among a small circle of people mentioned, including Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine, Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius and Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware and Evan Bayh of Indiana.

Obama was expected to text message his choice later on Friday or Saturday.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

There was also a report of Biden's family members showing up at his house all day yesterday and Biden's final pay off of all his campaign debt today.

Head fakes all over the place.

NLB2 said:
Hey jackass, explain why that ad didn't appear in other newspapers for radically lowered prices?

If you don't think that ad being in the NYTs was a political decision, then I've got some swamp land in Florida to sell to you...

I'm just commenting on the fact that you seem to be confusing editorials with advertising. Big difference.

NLB2

Banned
speculawyer said:
I'm just commenting on the fact that you seem to be confusing editorials with advertising. Big difference.

WSJ editorial board is a bunch of conservatives with a liberal guest piece thrown in every day.

NYT editorial board is a bunch of liberals with a conservative piece thrown in every day.

WSJ = conservative.

NYT = fair and ballanced???

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
NLB2 said:

think the NYT explained the mistake, and i'll counter that with having Bill Fucking Kristol as a paid member of the op-ed staff. and when it gets to the editorial board they're understood to be an entity removed from the reporters. it must strain your mind when you see either the WSJ or NYT publishing reports critical of their respective parties, huh?

then again this obscures the original point - that UltimaKilo is ignorant.

NLB2 said:

I like how you have to call someone a jackass, retarded, etc. in nearly every one of your posts in the political threads.

GhaleonEB said:
I liked TPM's headline better:

Breaking: The Press Does Not Know the Candidates' Veep Picks

Pretty much. The Obama campaign is playing the press for suckers and stringing them along to build up expectations. He turned their tabloid sensationalism to his advantage. No one knows anything and they did a masterful job of keeping things under wraps. Props for keeping a drama-free and mostly leak-free campaign.

tanod

when is my burrito
maximum360 said:
Pretty much. The Obama campaign is playing the press for suckers and stringing them along to build up expectations. He turned their tabloid sensationalism to his advantage. No one knows anything and they did a masterful job of keeping things under wraps. Props for keeping a drama-free and mostly leak-free campaign.

It's funny watching the press fumble all over themselves on the VP thing. Makes them look like the retarded gossip-mongering hacks that most of them actually are.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub...a/election_2008_indiana_presidential_election

The first Rasmussen Reports telephone survey of voters in the state shows McCain attracting 46% of the vote while Obama earns 42%. When “leaners” are included, it's McCain by six, 49% to 43%. Leaners are survey participants who initially indicate no preference for either major candidate but indicate that they are leaning towards either McCain or Obama.

McCain is viewed favorably by 65% of Indiana voters, Obama by 52%.

Obama earns Very Favorable reviews from 28% while 27% have a Very Unfavorable opinion of him. For McCain, those numbers are 23% Very Favorable and 12% Very Unfavorable.

McCain leads by 12 among men, and the candidates are essentially even among women.

tanod said:
It's funny watching the press fumble all over themselves on the VP thing. Makes them look like the retarded gossip-mongering hacks that most of them actually are.

I don't know, I don't like the playing-hard-to-get crap - makes him look like...a girl.

GhaleonEB said:
Six point spread is right in line with SUSA's poll last week. I still can't believe it's that close - Bush won Indiana 60-39.

Bayh might have guaranteed Indiana but I think Biden may offer more depth overall (especially since he's a terrific attack dog).

PhoenixDark said:
How is giving her the respect Obama has claimed she deserved tantamount to "bending over backwards"?

She got the respect in public, in a similar way that Obama respects McCain's honor and service to the country. But those are only words, just for show. We all know both don't actually get along, particularly with Hillary's other half. Obama don't seem to really need her either.

But you're arguing that respect should have extended to the real world with at least the pretense she was vetted. Pointless. The primaries are over and there's the serious business of winning in November. I assume the Obama team didn't want this to be revealed, but it's actually irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

P.S. I miss you and Triumph fighting, when are the good times coming back?

Eric P

4762.jpg

Cartoon In Jordanian Paper: Bush Out, Obama In

memri has a whole bunch of election related political cartoons up.

4806.jpg

Cartoon In Syrian Paper: "Election Games"
“Obama” leaps over “Bush's mistakes” as “McCain” flees

Cartoonist: Hamid Qarout

Source: Teshreen, Syria, July 30, 2008

teruterubozu said:
I don't know, I don't like the playing-hard-to-get crap - makes him look like...a girl.
Is that you, Rush?

*looks at cartoons*

ZOMG TEH TURRISTS R ENDORSING OBAMA!! HOW MUCH MORE PROOF DO YOU NEED!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
What does this TPM article say about the Bus and Kaine?

Won't load on my phone.

RubxQub said:
What does this TPM article say about the Bus and Kaine?

Won't load on my phone.

Basically it aint them, because on Sunday they are going to be on some tv show or radio show or something discussing Obama's new VP.

I mean it could all be show... or something... but my guess is that Kaine and Sebelius are out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom