• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Karma Kramer said:
Basically it aint them, because on Sunday they are going to be on some tv show or radio show or something discussing Obama's new VP.

I mean it could all be show... or something... but my guess is that Kaine and Sebelius are out.
Biden would be a hotness #2, but I'll still hold out hope for the Bus.

Kildace

God this sucks. I've been feverishly refreshing this thread all afternoon and I bet that the VP Pick will be announced now that I'm leaving on my 1 hour commute to get home.
Come on Obama!

Kildace said:
God this sucks. I've been feverishly refreshing this thread all afternoon and I bet that the VP Pick will be announced now that I'm leaving on my 1 hour commute to get home.
Come on Obama!

I have the same feeling on my commute to work. Luckily i live 5 minutes away.

Kildace said:
Come on Obama!

Yeah I know what you mean. I am on a boat right now making my way to New York, and I want to know before I get on the fucking plane where I will get absolutely no fucking reception.

Fuck.

Halperin shows how useless his reporting really is:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/22/mark-halperin-blows-obama_n_120543.html

Hey, kids! Late yesterday evening, Mark Halperin, who writes "The Page" for Time Magazine - which is like a comic book, full of listicles for children - had up on "The Page" a post that, in his Halperin-y way, suggested or spitballed that Obama had chosen his Veep, and that Veep was Dick Lugar. It was titled "Hoosier Values" and read:

What is Barack Obama looking for in a running mate?

Obama tells TIME he wants someone who is "not about ego, self-aggrandizement, getting their name in the press" and tells CBS News he wants someone he would "feel comfortable with."

Obama at Saddleback: "There are people like ... Dick Lugar, a Republican, who I'd listen to on foreign policy."

On CNN this past Sunday: BLITZER: "Do you agree with Senator Lieberman that Senator Obama has not put the country first?"

LUGAR: "No. I think that was clearly a partisan statement at a rally. I respect everybody their opinions in a political campaign, but that's all that was."

To see what the future could look like, click here. [The link led to a photo of Lugar and Obama.]

Dick Lugar, of course, has endorsed John McCain for President. A brief amount of time passed, and then Halperin took the confounding post down, and there has been no mention of it since then. No update, no correction.

As long as Halperin is pulling the stupid stuff down off of his website, why not continue and pull this silliness down also? It's really hard to believe that a grown up wrote this, or that a room full of grown ups said, "Hey, let's actually pay for this." I find it hard to believe that a grown up would even read it, but I did, and now LOOK! Grey matter is dribbling out of my nose and now everything is going black and swoony. Damn you, Mark Halperin.

He's laughable at this point.

Barack Obama said:
Everybody's watching what's going on in Beijing right now with the Olympics , Think about the amount of money that China has spent on infrastructure. Their ports, their train systems, their airports are vastly the superior to us now, which means if you are a corporation deciding where to do business, you're starting to think, 'Beijing looks like a pretty good option.'

I love this guy. I can't wait for us to become more like China!

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
ddb320 said:
Obama, just pick Hillary aleady, as much as you don't like her, YOU NEED HER.

Hillary would make things too easy for the McCain campaign when it comes to attack ads. If she was his VP nom, you know they'd just recycle all of her old soundbytes about Obama for their attack ads. "Obama's own VP thinks he's unfit to lead..." "Obama's own VP doesn't know if he's a muslim or not..." "Obama's own VP doesn't think the guy knows how to pick up a phone..." It would be a mess.

gkryhewy

PrivateWHudson said:

Thank you Sean Hannity. You'd prefer crumbling roads and bridges, and passenger rail infrastructure that lags Bulgaria?

If its really this Chet Edwards guy I'll laugh my ass off. He's got a good education and a decent business background, but he's such a dud in terms of an announcement. No foreign policy/military experience either. Plus, as dumb as y'all think all Americans are, a good portion of them will think its John Edwards on the ticket again.

I don't know though...maybe they're trying to bury this announcement somewhat given the timing is kinda becoming an issue now going into the weekend.

GhaleonEB

PrivateWHudson said:
Their cars also have higher gas mileage standards than the US. You can pick the things a country does right, and seek to emulate those elements, without turning into that country entire. Hell, that's the basis for the country.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
siamesedreamer said:
I don't know though...maybe they're trying to bury this announcement somewhat given the timing is kinda becoming an issue now going into the weekend.

No one, no matter how shitty the candidate, buries their second-biggest opportunity for press during the election season.

Karma Kramer said:
And the communism and shit

I don't know how this is, but I thought it would be fun to post:

China Average Annual Income
The average annual income per capita differs enormously between urban and rural areas. For 2003 the urban figure was RMB 8,472 (US$ 1,058) while the same figure for rural areas was RMB 2,622 (US$ 328)

UltimaKilo said:
To say that the NYT is not partisan is to say that the Washington Post isn't either. Meaning you can't see things objectively, but rather just partisan.
Can I get some help from other DC folks who regularly read the Post? The Washington Post is not a librul newspaper. Okay, if they're writing stories about African-American issues, they're pretty sympathetic. But that's like criticizing the NYT for positive coverage of the Yankees. The Op-Ed pages are chock-a-block with conservative commentators: Charles Krauthammer, Fred Hiatt, Michael Gerson, George Will, Robert Novak and many others who give me agita. The Post beat loud drums for the Iraq War. They endorsed McCain and have long been one of his media buddies. They gained a reputation from Watergate that they no longer warrant or deserve.

Now, if someone wants to criticize the Post for being poorly-written and -edited, I'm right there with ya.

TDG

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
Plus, as dumb as y'all think all Americans are, a good portion of them will think its John Edwards on the ticket again.
I was about to say...

Edwards would be a serious dud of an announcement.

PrivateWHudson said:

You mean being having a government that actually has the world's largest trade surplus instead of the world's largest trade deficit? I can live with that. Minus, you know, the Communist "starve our peasants" part.

gkrykewy said:
Thank you Sean Hannity. You'd prefer crumbling roads and bridges, and passenger rail infrastructure that lags Bulgaria?

Nope. I'm serious. I figure if I can't beat them I'll join them. I'm trying to embrace the candidate that looks at Communist China for inspiration. I would love to see us pour all of our resources into one shining city of modernization and let the rest of the country sink further into poverty.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
the iso cam feed of the governor's mansion in Virginia on CNN.com

the convo going on between the camera man and some random guy is awesome
cursing and talking shit

I'm going to walk up that way in a few

GhaleonEB

the disgruntled gamer said:
I was about to say...

Edwards would be a serious dud of an announcement.
On that note, again from fivethirtyeight:

With that out of the way, there is exactly one clue that I consider to be worth worrying about, and that is the timing of the announcement. It is now Friday morning at 1:12 AM Central Time. The Democratic convention kicks off in about 75 hours. The identity of the VP is not known. You can send up trial balloons, send out false information, bluff and posture and play-act as much as you like ... but you can't get that time back.

There is very little time left to roll-out and brand the candidate. As Stu Rothenberg notes, it is actually the norm rather than the exception to have the VP named relatively close to the convention. Still, there is cutting it close, and then there is leaving yourself no time at all. Geraldine Ferraro and Al Gore were named 4 days before the opening gavel at the convention, Lloyd Bentsen 6 days, Joe Lieberman 8 days, and John Edwards 20 days ... so this pick will set the modern record for the Democrats, although the Republicans have sometimes waited even longer.

And this year, the circumstances are especially poor for a late roll-out. The pre-convention coverage will have to compete with the Closing Ceremonies. The convention coverage will have to compete with The Clinton Show. There isn't really a post-convention period, since the Republicans will hold their convention the week after.

If you leave yourself with a candidate who hasn't been adequately branded, you give yourself two problems. One, the Obama-Who? Effect, i.e. underscoring the fact that Obama is inexperienced and unknown. And two, the fact that the candidate won't have the stature to draw large crowds on the campaign trail, or to maximize their exposure as a potential surrogate for you.

All of this points strongly to the known knowns.
He goes on to talk about the polling data showing the relative public recognition of the made-up short lists.

Rolling out a relative unknown this close to the convention would lead to a lot of head scratching. It feels like Obama is ramping up to announce a known character, so everyone bursts forth with approval at the last minute. And the medium - a text message - would lead to a whole lot of people going, "Who?!" if it wasn't someone they knew. Especially if it were Chet Edwards. Imagine the mass-confustion if people just saw "Edwards" on the text message and ran with it. :lol

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
PrivateWHudson said:
I don't know how this is, but I thought it would be fun to post:

China Average Annual Income
The average annual income per capita differs enormously between urban and rural areas. For 2003 the urban figure was RMB 8,472 (US$ 1,058) while the same figure for rural areas was RMB 2,622 (US$ 328)

So what's your point? That China is all bad and has nothing good to offer or copy from?

Chrono

Banned
PrivateWHudson said:

Yeah, that's exactly what he said. He wants the US to be more like China!

You're a fucking idiot. That's not an insult, it's an accurate description of your intelligence. Only an idiot can read that quote and completely misunderstand what Obama was saying.

tanod

when is my burrito
Chrono said:

You're a fucking idiot. That's not an insult, it's an accurate description of your intelligence. Only an idiot can read that quote and completely misunderstand what Obama was saying.

The ad hominem is strong with this one.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
mckmas8808 said:
So what's your point? That China is all bad and has nothing good to offer or copy from?

The problem I have with that quote is that it ignores the reality that it's a lot easier for the Chinese government to make those types of improvements with the system they have.

Charon said:

You're a fucking idiot. That's not an insult, it's an accurate description of your intelligence. Only an idiot can read that quote and completely misunderstand what ABM was saying.

So he doesn't want us to be like China then? Fuck off, or tell me what he did mean. They use "The Peoples" money to build shinny shit full of lead with almost slave labor and have no environmental standards, that's fucking awesome and awe inspiring.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
PrivateWHudson said:
conservative talking points much?

it's not stupid to say that spending more on infrastructure (especially, i dunno, mass transit systems) will reap a wealth of benefits for the country.

schuelma said:
The problem I have with that quote is that it ignores the reality that it's a lot easier for the Chinese government to make those types of improvements with the system they have.

Also a lot easier with their expansive growth and not being part of a financially draining war... it's pretty obvious that Obama was alluding to that difference. So it's not "china rah rah" it's more "china is making us look kind of bad here..."

GhaleonEB

PrivateWHudson said:
So he doesn't want us to be like China then? Fuck off, or tell me what he did mean.
That China has made a heavy investment in transportation instruction that the US would to well to emulate.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Chrono

Banned
PrivateWHudson said:
So he doesn't want us to be like China then? Fuck off, or tell me what he did mean. They use "The Peoples" money to build shinny shit full of lead with almost slave labor and have no environmental standards, that's fucking awesome and awe inspiring.

He's talking about upgrading the infrastructure in America. He often talks about globalization and rising competition to the US. China is investing a lot of money in its infrastructure while the opposite is happening in the US. What he's saying is that he's going to invest in infrastructure. That's it. Do you see him urging 'almost slave labor' as you put it? No? Then STFU.

pxleyes

Banned
PrivateWHudson said:
Yes, that's exactly what he meant. There is no other conclusion for you to come to.

Already, China uses more coal than the United States, the European Union and Japan combined. And it has increased coal consumption 14 percent in each of the past two years in the broadest industrialization ever. Every week to 10 days, another coal-fired power plant opens somewhere in China that is big enough to serve all the households in Dallas or San Diego.

--- New York Times

All the mass transit in the world won't negate the facts.

GhaleonEB

So, um. McCain has the guy who hosted "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" defending him.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/08/robin-leach-on.html

That strikes me as a poor choice.
siamesedreamer said:
Already, China uses more coal than the United States, the European Union and Japan combined. And it has increased coal consumption 14 percent in each of the past two years in the broadest industrialization ever. Every week to 10 days, another coal-fired power plant opens somewhere in China that is big enough to serve all the households in Dallas or San Diego.

--- New York Times

That wasn't his point, at all. He's talking about transporation infastructure. You are talking about something completely different. But you know that.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
and so the answer to SD's point is that we should all participate in a race to the bottom, where the US shouldn't improve its infrastructure, transportation or energy policy because of China.

...yeah...

maynerd

Banned
siamesedreamer said:

--- New York Times

WTF does that have to do with the topic of discussion?

GhaleonEB said:
So, um. McCain has the guy who hosted "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" defending him.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/08/robin-leach-on.html

That strikes me as a poor choice.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

The Dems need to fucking RUN with this.

Robin Leach said:
"This has nothing to do with the issues candidates should be discussing," he said. "Let’s talk about real things, not silly things. It’s irrelevant whether the future president has one home or ten."

"It’s nothing to get into a kerfuffle about," he added. "It’s silly and ridiculous."

Where were you when the celebrity ad came out, or when John McCain LIED about Obama's tax plan? So NOW you want to get to the issues? Fuck you and the G5 you flew in on.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Chrono said:
He's talking about upgrading the infrastructure in America. He often talks about globalization and rising competition to the US. China is investing a lot of money in its infrastructure while the opposite is happening in the US. What he's saying is that he's going to invest in infrastructure. That's it. Do you see him urging 'almost slave labor' as you put it? No? Then STFU.

Yep while Mccain wants to support a gas tax holiday that will take 10 billion dollars away from our infrastructure.

Big differences between these 2 candidates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom