• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
So.......I've been out over the weekend.

Anything savagely interesting happened since Friday? I saw the Gallups and already wanked it, but anything news wise?

Krowley

McCains biggest problem with the economics is that none of his suggestions are new.

He doesn't have to suggest dem style economic policies, but you have to come out with something radicaly different than what we have now. People aren't going to believe that doing exactly what we've been doing is going to fix anything. He could go into super radical libertarian territory and that would probably play better than what he's tried so far.

He should be promoting something like the fair tax. Big ideas that get people excited. As long as his economic policy is just "cut taxes, cut spending" people aren't going to buy it. In this kind of environment, you have to be suggesting big changes and fundamental changes to the way the system functions. Newt Gengrich is a good example of a republican who's always full of big ideas. McCain is too careful on domestic policy and he's unwilling to try outlining a bigger vision. If he loses, this will be one of the main lessons for the republican party to learn. The era of just repeating Reagans policies is over. You have to bring everything into the 21st century and come with something people haven't heard before.

Xeke

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
He's reading his notes.

I have to wonder why he'd be doing that with his hands together, eyes closed and his notepad sideways on the table not even in front of him...

He's praying.

I think the biggest possibly risk for McCain is staying under in polling for much longer. If he doesn't pull up soon... he is going to start losing a lot of support and Republicans are going to get discouraged.

It will definitely have a snowball effect.

Krowley said:
McCains biggest problem with the economics issue is that none of his suggestions are new.

He doesn't have to suggest dem style economic policies, but you have to come out with something radicaly different than what we have now. People aren't going to believe that doing exactly what we've been doing is going to fix anything. He could go into super radical libertarian territory and that would probably play better than what he's tried so far.

He should be promoting something like the fair tax. Big ideas that get people excited. As long as his economic policy is just "cut taxes, cut spending" people aren't going to buy it. In this kind of environment, you have to be suggesting big changes and fundamental changes to the way the system functions. Newt Gengrich is a good example of a republican who's always full of big ideas. McCain is too careful on domestic policy and he's unwilling to try outlining a bigger vision.
You're thinking too much.

McCain doesn't understand economics at all. The only thing he understands about the subject is what his lobbyists... sorry, advisors tell him to think.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Karma Kramer said:
I think the biggest possibly risk for McCain is staying under in polling for much longer. If he doesn't pull up soon... he is going to start losing a lot of support and Republicans are going to get discouraged.

It will definitely have a snowball effect.

Or, the opposite can happen and it will motivate republicans who weren't that passionate about him to go and vote.

Slurpy said:
Or, the opposite can happen and it will motivate republicans who weren't that passionate about him to go and vote.

Not likely because Republicans were never passionate about John McCain... he's just the guy that got eliminated last. Republicans are hurting right now, so they aren't going to be very optimistic about electing a continuation of Bush.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
The McCain campaign strategy going forward:

Schmidt said the campaign will press two arguments as forcefully as possible in the coming days. One is that Obama is not ready to be commander in chief and that, in a time of two wars, "his policies will make the world more dangerous and America less secure." Second, he said, McCain will argue that, in a time of economic crisis, Obama will raise taxes and spending and "will make our economy worse."

Aren't we creative!

Slurpy said:

Aren't we creative!

To be fair, it works until something big happens (debates, trips, market crashes, etc). But even when it works Obama is still up in the polls lol

The only thing I can see sticking is McCain essentially copying Obama and simply lying through his teeth about where he stands for. He will say a version of Obama's stances and hope the public can be fooled.

Of course, this will backfire like mad.

lol @ hannity's america

"It's pretty clear Palin is aloof --"

"BIDEN SAID ROOSEVELT WENT ON TV DURING THE DEPRESSION"

"If you'll just let me --"

"BIDEN SAID ROOSEVELT WENT ON TV DURING THE DEPRESSION"

"An --"

"WHAT'S UP WITH BIDEN. ROOSEVELT WASN'T PRESIDENT THEN."

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Trakdown said:
I will say this, if Obama stays at 50 or above and McCain ends up going under 40 by the 30 day mark, McCain's done.

What will it take to get McCain under 40 at this point, though? Dude makes political theater out of a crisis, acts like Obama is on his lawn during the debate, and has what amounts to an empty vessel that can't hold information for a VP.....

Personally, I think he's polling kinda high at this point.

Jak140

Slurpy said:

Aren't we creative!

I can't wait to see Palin, of all people, making this argument for them on Friday. The ironing should be delicious. :D

Family Guy: "Did you know that democrats murder thousands of babies every year? And sometimes they are even put back into the womb so they can be aborted again."

:lol

You crazed libruls.

GhaleonEB

Slurpy said:

Aren't we creative!
And that's the argument they've been making for a while now. It was on full display during the debate. The problem is a lot of people saw the debate, and most of them though Obama looked presidential. So all the spin in the world is just going to crash face-first into that.

(Standard caveat: I hope.)

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Slurpy said:

Aren't we creative!

If this is their plan going forward, then they have lost because all it does it lend credence to what Obama said. For 90 minutes, all he did was talk about me (Obama) and said nothing about you (the public) So good, I see that they are basically out of ammo.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Slurpy said:

Aren't we creative!

Well you lost any chance of tactic one working last Friday, and tactic two hasnt worked for the last 3 weeks, so good luck with that.

McCains *real* problem is early voting has started in a ton of states and every week more and more states get in on the early voting. He might close late, but if he cant close quickly he is going to lose some of the swing states before election day.

Ohio for instance has that vote the same day you register thing coming up in a week, if Obama is up 5-6 when that happens, it means McCain has to beat him by that much more come Nov. 4th.

Cloudy

Banned
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/09/28/Newspaper_ends_72-year_streak_backs_Obama/UPI-60041222648264/

STOCKTON, Calif., Sept. 28 (UPI) -- A Stockton, Calif., newspaper Sunday endorsed Barack Obama for president, ending a 72-year record of endorsing only Republicans for the office.

The Record, which did not endorse a presidential candidate in 1992, has endorsed Republicans in every other White House election since 1940, when it went for Wendell Willkie over President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The newspaper had endorsed Roosevelt over Alf Landon in 1936.

In an editorial, the newspaper said it backs Obama over Republican John McCain because Obama "has demonstrated he will think things through, seek advice and actually listen to it."

"Obama is a gifted speaker," the editorial said. "But in addition to his smarts and energy, possibly his greatest gift is his ability to inspire."

The Record said U.S. politics in the past eight years "has been marked by smears, fears and greed."

"For too long, we've practiced partisanship in Washington, not politics. The result is a cynicism every bit as deep as that which infected the nation when Richard Nixon was shamed from office and when Bill Clinton brought shame to the office.

"This must end, but John McCain can't do it."

Editor Mike Klocke wrote in Sunday's edition of The Record that the editorial board was unanimous in its decision.

That's cool. Hope this hits the MSM

Trakdown

EMBee99 said:
What will it take to get McCain under 40 at this point, though? Dude makes political theater out of a crisis, acts like Obama is on his lawn during the debate, and has what amounts to an empty vessel that can't hold information for a VP.....

Personally, I think he's polling kinda high at this point.

The question is, have the debates been factored in to the polling yet? I don't think they fully have, but it would explain the 8 point lead. If they aren't, and it drops him down by monday, that means he has 6 days to get back above- one of those days is the VP debate.

If McCain drops down on monday, I wouldn't be surprised if it continues trending that way. He pissed off a lot of people with his tone during the debate, and Obama came out looking really damn good. McCain's campaign is in a hell of a slide, and since he's not changing much, he could easily keep trending down.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
syllogism said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ctgw9VyV_0

Obama's VA speech yesterday. Probably one of his best stump speeches.

Hey GAF I feel like I don't live in the same world as the pundits on TV do. Why do all of them keep saying that Obama can't talk about pocket book issues when this whole speech is about pocket book issues?

I mean the 25,000 people in the crowd seem to agree with Obama.

StoOgE said:
Well you lost any chance of tactic one working last Friday, and tactic two hasnt worked for the last 3 weeks, so good luck with that.

McCains *real* problem is early voting has started in a ton of states and every week more and more states get in on the early voting. He might close late, but if he cant close quickly he is going to lose some of the swing states before election day.

Ohio for instance has that vote the same day you register thing coming up in a week, if Obama is up 5-6 when that happens, it means McCain has to beat him by that much more come Nov. 4th.

So you are saying 50% of voters... vote absentee?

Slurpy said:
Schmidt said the campaign will press two arguments as forcefully as possible in the coming days. One is that Obama is not ready to be commander in chief and that, in a time of two wars, "his policies will make the world more dangerous and America less secure." Second, he said, McCain will argue that, in a time of economic crisis, Obama will raise taxes and spending and "will make our economy worse."

Yeah, right. I'm sure that's your plan now but wait until one poll comes out-even if it is an outlier-with McCain down 10, John McCain is going to do something crazy and that strategy will be meaningless.

Right now the House and Senate GOP leadership should be looking to spike McCain's ambien with something that'll keep him sedated until the next debate. Every time McCain pulls a stunt more and more House and Senate seats open up for Dem takeover.

MoxManiac

Trakdown said:
The question is, have the debates been factored in to the polling yet? I don't think they fully have, but it would explain the 8 point lead. If they aren't, and it drops him down by monday, that means he has 6 days to get back above- one of those days is the VP debate.

If McCain drops down on monday, I wouldn't be surprised if it continues trending that way. He pissed off a lot of people with his tone during the debate, and Obama came out looking really damn good. McCain's campaign is in a hell of a slide, and since he's not changing much, he could easily keep trending down.

I think saturday was factored in, so somewhat. I think most agree it'll probably be midweek before we see the real change that the debate caused, if any.

Trakdown

mckmas8808 said:
Hey GAF I feel like I don't live in the same world as the pundits on TV do. Why do all of them keep saying that Obama can't talk about pocket book issues when this whole speech is about pocket book issues?

Because if they acknowledge that he can, there's no conflict and they have nothing to talk about.

mckmas8808 said:

It's interesting that now Obama is the one talking about specifics, hammering out details and policies while McCain is the one trotting out his (not so victorious) victory horse, telling stories and promising band-aid solutions for big problems.

mckmas8808 said:

There's a reason they're known as talking heads man.

PhoenixDark said:
It's interesting that now Obama is the one talking about specifics, hammering out details and policies while McCain is the one trotting out his (not so victorious) victory horse, telling stories and promising band-aid solutions for big problems.

Will the media them hammer McCain on not having specifics like they did to Obama for most of the race. Probably not.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Lemonz said:
2889662481_afa50aa916.jpg
:lol

mckmas8808 said:

It's the narrative they have for Obama, created out of his education and intelligence mixed with his ability to inspire people with lofty ideas-so OBVIOUSLY he can't talk to the average job about pocketbook issues since he doesn't "feel their pain", nor can he "channel their anger" because that would mean "UH OH ANGRY BLACK MAN, GET THE FIRE HOSE".

Tamanon

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
It's the narrative they have for Obama, created out of his education and intelligence mixed with his ability to inspire people with lofty ideas-so OBVIOUSLY he can't talk to the average job about pocketbook issues since he doesn't "feel their pain", nor can he "channel their anger" because that would mean "UH OH ANGRY BLACK MAN, GET THE FIRE HOSE".

The newest bit was from Matthews when he said "Well this guy really did have a pretty hard life, but he doesn't act like he did. So people don't believe him!":lol

Cloudy said:
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/09/28/Newspaper_ends_72-year_streak_backs_Obama/UPI-60041222648264/

STOCKTON, Calif., Sept. 28 (UPI) -- A Stockton, Calif., newspaper Sunday endorsed Barack Obama for president, ending a 72-year record of endorsing only Republicans for the office.

The Record, which did not endorse a presidential candidate in 1992, has endorsed Republicans in every other White House election since 1940, when it went for Wendell Willkie over President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The newspaper had endorsed Roosevelt over Alf Landon in 1936.

That's cool. Hope this hits the MSM

Stockton is a central valley town near the bay area. It is basically a red state area within California. However, that area has been absolutely devastated with foreclosures . . . trickle down economics has pissed all over those people. It has one of the highest foreclosure rates in the nation. It is nice to see them admit that some change is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom