• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deus Ex Machina said:
PHOTOS: Obama today in Detroit

capt.8d7ee47004884ede9580ce6a80b6ade4.obama_2008_mico103.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., and his wife Michelle Obama bump heads before addressing a rally in Detroit, Sunday, Sept. 28, 2008.
(AP Photo/Carlos Osorio)

capt.c4c379c7b527429da5e9e89b36c85854.obama_2008_mico108.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., addresses a rally in Detroit, Sunday, Sept. 28, 2008. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio)

capt.c65298b591ed496f886f1a2bb11b27f4.obama_2008_miab109.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., left, with Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., right, with their wives Michelle Obama, second from left, and Jill Biden wave at a rally in front of the Detroit Public Library in Detroit, Mich. Sunday, Sept. 28, 2008.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.affb9b50eccf4851b97a72acdf2b31cf.obama_2008_mico104.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., his wife Michelle Obama, and vice presidential running mate Sen. Joe Biden's wife Jill Biden are given Detroit Red Wings jerseys before addressing a rally in Detroit, Sunday, Sept. 28, 2008. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio)

capt.c423136c2b754c75897d52c38a55069b.obama_2008_mico111.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., his wife Michelle Obama, vice presidential running mate Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., and his wife Jill Biden, arrive for a rally in Detroit, Sunday, Sept. 28, 2008. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio)
Few more pics

30b2umv.jpg

iwrb15.jpg

mmra0w.jpg

ddfdd.jpg

2vaxdlk.jpg

omg.jpg

For the first time, there is a clear front-runner

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080928.wibbitson29/BNStory/usElection2008

WASHINGTON — John McCain's campaign is in crisis. The Republican presidential candidate must quickly reverse recent sharp declines and recapture the momentum in this election race if he is to avoid falling fatally far behind Barack Obama, his Democratic opponent.

The most recent survey, by Gallup Tracking, has Mr. Obama eight points up. And while many pundits, including this one, thought Mr. McCain outperformed Mr. Obama during the foreign-policy part of Friday night's televised debate, viewers disagreed. Three separate snap polls –by CBS, CNN/Opinion Research and USA Today/Gallup – confirmed that it was actually Mr. Obama's night. In the USA Today/Gallup survey, for example, 46 per cent of those polled thought Mr. Obama had outperformed Mr. McCain, while 34 per cent thought the opposite. Fifty-two per cent picked Mr. Obama, when they were asked which candidate offered the best proposals for change to solve the country's problems. Thirty-five per cent picked Mr. McCain.

In many respects, national opinion polls are meaningless, because the election will be decided in a dozen or so key battleground states. Mr. Obama was in one of them, Michigan, Sunday, while Mr. McCain traveled to another, Ohio. But the polls tell a tale there, too.
In battleground states that went Republican in the 2004 vote, either Mr. McCain is ahead by the narrowest of margins (1.2 percentage points in Ohio, according to the RealClearPolitics aggregate; 1.6 in Florida; 1.7 in Nevada) or he is behind. Mr. Obama has an aggregate lead of nine percentage points in Iowa, six in New Mexico; 5.4 in Colorado and 1.8 in Virginia.
Mr. McCain isn't leading Mr. Obama in any battleground state that went Democratic in 2004. His campaign, in other words, has become entirely defensive.

Then there is the Palin Effect. It's a whole new effect. And Ms. Palin dulled some of her lustre last week when her answers in an interview with CBS anchor Katie Couric were, at times, so incoherent that comedian Tina Fey on Saturday Night Live simply cribbed them in her mocking sketch.
More at the link...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Agent Icebeezy said:
I watched a speech where he said that he wasn't perfect and some elderly lady back and said that he was.

In all honestly, if the election were to be today and it ended like the map that Nate has 538, how will the two parties change? What I mean is that for the longest of times, people went for the same electoral map. The way it looks now, it's totally different and much in favor for the Democrats. My state of Indiana has a hint of blue today. I'm 28 years old and its like I'm in the Twilight Zone looking at that map. Which way with the Republicans go, try to come back towards the center? Lurch even further to the right? If Obama wins in this fashion, the GOP is going to have to do a lot of soul searching about where their party is going to go.

They will have to turn their backs on the fundamentalists nutcases that do nothing but alienate the rest of the country towards the Republicans. They will have to stop trying to force religion in the school curriculum (such as the creationist bull). Other than that there is little they can do except move to the left. It is inevitable, the old right is vanishing and for a reason, it has failed numerous times.

EDIT: And yeah seriously calm down with the Obama picture galore.

Socreges

Banned
mmra0w.jpg

"Love you, sweetie..."

ddfdd.jpg

"I'm thinking you could give me head right now in front of everyone and I'd still win the election."

30b2umv.jpg

".....think about it?"

2vaxdlk.jpg

"...."

omg.jpg

"....she'll come around..."

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I quite enjoy the pictures, so you lose!

thefro

Agent Icebeezy said:
I watched a speech where he said that he wasn't perfect and some elderly lady back and said that he was.

In all honestly, if the election were to be today and it ended like the map that Nate has 538, how will the two parties change? What I mean is that for the longest of times, people went for the same electoral map. The way it looks now, it's totally different and much in favor for the Democrats. My state of Indiana has a hint of blue today. I'm 28 years old and its like I'm in the Twilight Zone looking at that map. Which way with the Republicans go, try to come back towards the center? Lurch even further to the right? If Obama wins in this fashion, the GOP is going to have to do a lot of soul searching about where their party is going to go.

The thinking is we might be on the verge of a political realignment, with young voters sticking with the Dems long-term and Latinos joining the Democratic Party due to the immigration stupidity.

Within the next 8 years Texas is going to flip and then it'll be all over.

AniHawk

Agent Icebeezy said:

I'm crossing my fingers that it makes the GOP go more to the center, stop bowing to their fundie masters, and try to become a real political party again. There are probably some good answers and middle ground somewhere, but they're lost in all the corruption and hypocrisy that's gone on for far too long.

Trakdown

So, I've heading to an Obama rally on Tuesday. The announcement says "line-up starts at 8 A.M.", any advice of when to show up to get a good spot up front?

Trakdown said:
So, I've heading to an Obama rally on Tuesday. The announcement says "line-up starts at 8 A.M.", any advice of when to show up to get a good spot up front?

Get there well before 8 and be prepared to wait a very long time. I'd suggest bringing a book along to tide yourself over. Also, when you get past the security check run like hell to the front because that's what everyone else will be doing.

Trakdown

Incognito said:
Get there well before 8 and be prepared to wait a very long time. I'd suggest bringing a book along to tide yourself over. Also, when you get past the security check run like hell to the front because that's what everyone else will be doing.

Around 6 sound good? I'll be bringing my PSP, so I can wait.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Trakdown said:
Around 6 sound good? I'll be bringing my PSP, so I can wait.
"Get there as early as you can possibly wait" is what they're getting at. With a PSP, you can afford to get there at like, 2, 3 AM. Steal an iphone or something and bring GAF along in your pocket!

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Bitter much?

I think I mentioned this before:

1) I'm voting for Obama.

2) I like Obama and think he will do the best job as CIF.

3) The Obama ball washing gets a little out of hand at times. Reminds me of Patriots fans.

That isn't a compliment.

Cheebs

ryutaro's mama said:
I think I mentioned this before:

1) I'm voting for Obama.

2) I like Obama and think he will do the best job as CIF.

3) The Obama ball washing gets a little out of hand at times. Reminds me of Patriots fans.

That isn't a compliment.
It's nothing new. Look at the ENDLESS books that still come out to this day of pictures of JFK. If GAF and the internet were around in '60 this thread would be endless pictures of JFK and Jackie.

Politics has always been like this when its a younger good looking candidate and spouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom