• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaaz

I should know whether the PS3 version supports uncompressed audio this evening, one I run the game through my 7.1 channel HDMI Yamaha receiver. Keeping my fingers crossed...

MrHicks

Banned
andrewfee said:
Argh, there's fucking terrible audio compression on the 360.

b8scnl.gif

USD

*Enters thread*

*Sees LOLerskates audio comment and reactions*

*Remembers why I never go into threads like these*

*Leaves*

USD said:
*Enters thread*

*Sees LOLerskates audio comment and reactions*

*Remembers why I never go into threads like these*

*Leaves*

*sees people who create posts like this*

*takes the piss*

*continues to laugh*

*cries*

Docpan

So if the PS3 version is running at 630p, does that mean the 360 version is running at 720p natively?

But... I thought the PS3 version had the edge graphically.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
andrewfee said:
Argh, there's fucking terrible audio compression on the 360.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: the victims of the 360's Liberty City are dying from...COMPRESSION.

pswii60

Just got back with my 360 version from Asda (EDIT: Well actually, an hour ago). PS3 version getting delivered tomorrow.

360 version doesn't have the horrendus pop-in everyone's describing. If anything, I would say the only even slight issue is the slightly 'low-res' feel of everything. I'd be surprised if the 360 version isn't 630p too. Also, I feel this game looks better using the VGA cable than HDMI, don't ask me why, but I had to try both cos I'm a fussy knickers.

But overall, the game looks fucking amazing. Especially during the day. It's jaw-dropping the amount of people, cars, and how alive the city feels. Literally insane. You won't all be nitpicking like this soon, I promise you. Draw distance is great for this type of game too, the amount of detail, OMG OMG FAP FAP FAP FAP etc. You will rike.

I need some sleep but I can't wait to get stuck in to this tomorrow.

And for the Sales-Agers, this Asda (UK) received an allocation of 81x 360 copies, 35x PS3 copies.

HokieJoe

dark10x said:
I agree. The difference is very minor, actually. Take a look at the comparison...

Here are two direct feed shots from Dark Sector on both XBOX360 and PS3. The PS3 version runs at the same resolution as GTAIV PS3 while the 360 version is a full 720p (according to Eurogamer, anyways).

Can you see a significant difference?

DS1.jpg
DS2.jpg

I don't know which is which, but the version on the right looks better from those pics.

The left picture:

a) The light looks more jagged
b) The greek-styled column under the iron railing looks less detailed
c) The little steeple-thingy (left of the gargoyle) looks less detailed; and the aliasing seems feathered out further from the edges. It looks similar to a trick one might play with Photoshop to dress up the edges of a lower res image. It could be the placement of the clouds as well. :)

FrankT

Docpan said:
So if the PS3 version is running at 630p, does that mean the 360 version is running at 720p natively?

But... I thought the PS3 version had the edge graphically.

Yea, 720p with 2xMSAA.

pswii60 said:
Just got back with my 360 version from Asda. PS3 version getting delivered tomorrow.

360 version doesn't have the horrendus pop-in everyone's describing. If anything, I would say the only even slight issue is the slightly 'low-res' feel of everything. I'd be surprised if the 360 version isn't 630p too. Also, I feel this game looks better using the VGA cable than HDMI, don't ask me why, but I had to try both cos I'm a fussy knickers.

But overall, the game looks fucking amazing. Especially during the day. It's jaw-dropping the amount of people, cars, and how alive the city feels. Literally insane. You won't all be nitpicking like this soon, I promise you.

And for the Sales-Agers, this Asda (UK) received an allocation of 81x 360 copies, 35x PS3 copies.

Fuck game and their shitty bundle that was suppose to come today :(

Ive got at least 10 hours of sleep to wait damn GMT :(

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Speevy said:
It sounds like the victims of the 360's Liberty City are dying from...COMPRESSION.

*sunglasses on*

YEEAAHH

Oh that's lazy.

You should say...

Life in the 360 version of Liberty City is a bit...STATIC

*sunglasses on*

YEAHHHHH

inner-G

Banned
CalamityDaunt said:
She's totally ruined lollipop girl for me. Now anytime i think about her when i'm feeling horny i'm gunna get an image of that chunk in my head :'(
I'd prolly bang the chubby loli girl.

Then again, I post on GAF. I'm not exactly beating chicks off of me with a stick. :lol

Odrion

Banned
pswii60 said:
Just got back with my 360 version from Asda (EDIT: Well actually, an hour ago). PS3 version getting delivered tomorrow.

But overall, the game looks fucking amazing. Especially during the day. It's jaw-dropping the amount of people, cars, and how alive the city feels. Literally insane. You won't all be nitpicking like this soon, I promise you. Draw distance is great for this type of game too, the amount of detail, OMG OMG FAP FAP FAP FAP etc. You will rike.

What kind of X-Box do you have?

FrankT

pswii60 said:
Just got back with my 360 version from Asda. PS3 version getting delivered tomorrow.

Wat, thought the Supermarket was getting 3 to 1 in the opposite.

h3ro said:
That other dude got you to change the avatar huh... :lol

Yea, not gonna cry over it, heh.

Evlar

Banned
GenericPseudonym said:
We'll see, or perhaps hear. Just get the iso sizes and we'll know.
You can't play ripped PS3 iso's. Which means you might be able to find something online that claims to be the PS3 GTA4 rip but you won't be able to confirm that it's actually the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom