• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official X06 Barcelona (360) Summary Thread

Kuroyume

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Splinter Cell has fallen into BBB class material IMO.

The sales for each and every iteration have dropped significantly, and while the online component gave it a shot in the arm, it's far too familiar fare for them to be releasing it every year.

This franchise has passed. It will still sell OK, but the original was the game that captured people's attention and has gone down since.

You can say the same shit about Metal Gear Solid or Resident Evil.

::shrug::

Uncle said:
They were pretty clear when they anounced that Kane & Lynch will be a timed exclusive. Oh well, if it's not an exclusive, we'll hear about it soon I think.

Exactly.

Next time Peter does a conference, he should emphatically state "this game is an exclusive, not timed exclusive", to make it clear for GAF fanboys. :lol

Kuroyume said:

No you can't.

Sales of Splinter Cell on Xbox (by far it's preferred platform)

Nov-03 1,537,095 TOM CLANCY'S SPLINTER CELL
Mar-04 641,949 TOM CLANCY'S SPLINTER CELL: PANDORA TOMO
Mar-05 548,839 TOM CLANCY'S SPLINTER CELL: CHAOS THEORY

Vrolokus

Banned
sonycowboy said:
No you can't.

I can't think of one legit reason you'd only post the Xbox numbers.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Vrolokus said:
I can't think of one legit reason you'd only post the Xbox numbers.

Cause the discussion is about Splinter Cell on Xbox?

mikeGFG

Banned
Heh, this conference is hilarious-- I wish i was around to see the shit live. Only Fifteen minutes in and 3 low-blows to Sony, and the coining of "Barcelonaton" :lol

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Mike G.E.D. said:
Heh, this conference is hilarious-- I wish i was around to see the shit live. Only Fifteen minutes in and 3 low-blows to Sony, and the coining of "Barcelonaton" :lol

Keep watching, there's more.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mike G.E.D. said:

I blame Microsoft for doing this confernece during work hours.

Kuroyume

Banned
sonycowboy said:
No you can't.

Yes you can. I don't have a list of sales anywhere but MGS and RE aren't as big as fanboys make both games out to be. I'm not going to say SC is bigger than the other or whatever but to say SC's numbers have dropped and not acknowledge that RE and MGS aren't selling anywhere near as well as they did at one time is stupid.

sonycowboy said:
No you can't.

How did Snake Eater and RE4 sell? Didn't Snake Eater sell far less than MGS2 *atleast in the US*?

manxor

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
LevelNth said:
I just hope they really start to branch out and diversify the portfolio of the system, and snag some more stuff that will directly appeal to me.
Name some examples of what you're looking for.
Well, I'm not sure what LevelNth is looking for, but here's mine/the obvious...

One thing the 360 game line-up/portfolio is still SORELY lacking in is:
3rd person melee-centric action adventure games.

You know, like Devil May Cry 4, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Heavenly Sword, God of War 2, etc...

PS3 has 3 major games in this genre coming out in 2007 that we've seen gameplay of, and look good.

RaijinFY

mysticstylez said:
How did Snake Eater and RE4 sell?

Snake Eater (+ Subsistence) ~1.2M
RE4 (PS2 & CG) +1M

I dont have the precise numbers though...

EDIT: It's clear, they are not as strong as before, but they will remain decent enough!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Question, did anybody make a screencap of the menu that appeared after the white dude died, the one Jane Raymoind couldn't talk about?

RaijinFY said:
RE4 (PS2 & CG) +1M

EDIT: It's clear, they are not as strong as before, but they will remain decent enough!

I was shocked about the sales ok Snake Eater at first...I loved that game.

GhaleonEB

Just got back online. After thinking this over, I think the conference was partly successful. Some great stuff, some WTF, and some MIA.

Barcelona-ton

*Halo Wars
Without a doubt a massive announcement. The Halo franchise is huge and keeping the Halo games coming, but with a new genre, is a great way to keep fans and possibly expand the audience. 360-only, great developer, everything about it rocks.

Great

*Next Splinter Cell is exclusive. Not a mega-ton, but a nice coup.
*Bioshock is exclusive. Great news, and a big coup.
*Assasin's Creed demo. It's the real deal, and it's amazing.
*DOOM on Live. Now. With 4-player co-op. Awesome, awesome, awesome.
*Gears of War demo - awesome. Looks buttery smooth, fun and polished.
*GTA 4 exclusive DLC content.
*Peter Moore. Barcalona-ton, lots of digs at Sony. "They told me what I could do with that bone."

Not So Great

*CG-galore. Forza 2, Halo Wars, PGR4. MS is turning into Sony on this department.
*The HD-DVD drive. $200 is too much, IMO. Should have been $150.

WTF?

*What was PJ talking about? Not a game, not a movie. Some...thing. But hey, it involves Halo, so I'm interested.
*PGR4. WTF? I'm still confused about why there are two main racing franchises from Microsoft, but their next, Forza 2, is still a ways out. Talk about stealing the thunder...from yourself. Plus, it's just more CG. Boring.

MIA

*Halo 3. Seriously guys, what the ****.
*Dashboard update. I expected lots of news here.
*Fable 2.
*Price cut/bundle. Major **** up to not even have a bundle for the holidays.
*Release dates. I was expecting dates for Crackdown, Viva Pinata, Fuzion Frenzy 2. Nada.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Shard said:
Question, did anybody make a screencap of the menu that appeared after the white dude died, the one Jane Raymoind couldn't talk about?

It was in the leaked Ubi zip file, theres nothing especially telling on it, its just a game menu, obviously its futuristic looking nature is the 'secret'.

Btw, according to the leaked zip, Splinter Cell 5 is Splinter Cell Conviction.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ghost said:
It was in the leaked Ubi zip file, theres nothing especially telling on it, its just a game menu, obviously its futuristic looking nature is the 'secret'.

Ah yes, I see, the whole future-past thing, I think that might be the case considering the word Memories was on that menu.

Arsenal

sonycowboy said:
No you can't.

Come on now... this is a trend in a lot of exclusives these days. Its a lot easier to lock-in a franchise that is already past its peak, and we are seeing it on both sides of the fence. Sonycowboy, MGS and DMC are both past their peak. Thats not to say that these games are not important in the console race though - they obvioulsy have their loyal followings and are in essence "system sellers" just like GRAW has been for the 360.

LevelNth

Banned
RaijinFY said:
RE4 (PS2 & CG) +1M

Not to mention MGS and RE do these kinds of numbers in every territory, not just one. That right there is the difference IMO.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Name some examples of what you're looking for.
To be fair, my complaints should be leveled at TGS, rather than X06. But the bottom line is, I want more Japanese content, or at the very least, the types of games that Japanese do so well; namely 3rd person action games, quirky original stuff, horror games and the RPG trifecta, in action, strategy and traditional.

And I know what you're going to say, 'what about Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon and Infinite Undiscovery?'. They look great, for that there is no doubt (well, BD not so much; damn Toriyama =P), but I don't view them as support persay, but rather just individual games. Here me out, I'm not crazy. My problem is, I don't believe that MS can or will continue to make the investments they did for those 3 games unless they all turn out to be significant successes. And let's be honest, there's a chance these games will 'bomb' (relatively to what MS has spent on the games), and sell way south of 1m worldwide.

And when that happens, what else is there? What if those games are it, and they don't even turn out that great? Putting so much emphasis on these games to not only be good, but also to spur Japanese sales and generate more TP support is quite a weight on the shoulders. Now, I don't want you to look at these comments as 'complaints' of mine, but rather unsettling worries, if you know what I mean. If the games come and go, and despite not doing well, MS continues funding that kind of development, I'll be extremely happy. If the games spur a lot of support from third party companies to produce similar content, I'll again be very happy. But I'm rather skeptical of either actually happening.

I've tried to voice my concerns and complaints without being overly hateful or troll-ish, so I hope no goes too crazy on me. :)

Jewbacca

Banned
you posted 3 things... like one after the other... cant you make one post.

Anyone play The Sonic the HedgeHog demo?

The controlls feel too loosy the camera still sucks... im not diggin it... Sonic I loved you... but good bye my dear friend.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Jewbacca said:
you posted 3 things... like one after the other... cant you make one post.

Anyone play The Sonic the HedgeHog demo?

The controlls feel too loosy the camera still sucks... im not diggin it... Sonic I loved you... but good bye my dear friend.

I guess I could have, but it is a little late for that.

Kuroyume said:

B.s. Resident Evil 4 was nothing short of fantastic. Splinter Cell's updates on the other hand... I mean the fact that the stuff being released every damn year now pretty much says it all.

Arsenal said:
Come on now... this is a trend in a lot of exclusives these days. Its a lot easier to lock-in a franchise that is already past its peak, and we are seeing it on both sides of the fence. Sonycowboy, MGS and DMC are both past their peak. Thats not to say that these games are not important in the console race though - they obvioulsy have their loyal followings and are in essence "system sellers" just like GRAW has been for the 360.

Splinter Cell has ABSOLUTELY NO BUZZ. MGS4 is probably the most anticipated next gen game outside of Halo 3. I'd attribute MGS 3's subpar sales to the taint of MGS 2 not having Snake playable.

In any case, the MGS franchise is still one of the tops in the industry. And as someone said, it sell well in every region. I expect that MGS 4 will do VERY, VERY well.

Ikael

That is exactly what I was trying to say on my post, it seems that they are trying to continue to build and capitalize on the strengths of the Xbox rather than branching out and trying new paths.

Thing is, that was my opinion about Microsoft after this last E3. I didn't liked how instead of appealing to new publics they just were chasing the very hardcore of the 360 audience. I mean: gears of war, mass effect, Too human... it looked as if they were wanting to be "the bald marine console" on purpouse. Overabundance of sci fi action games.

And now, bam! 2 incredibly promising RPGs that they are bothering pimping (I hope God that they realize that these two games are more crucial to the European market than Too Human will ever be...), a strategy title that have made got me interested on the Halo universe (nope, I didn't played the original games), Banjo, a quirky platafformer... I like the Microsoft's route a lot. Yep, there should be more melee sword action games, but still, I think that it is great how they are slowly pulling their head out of their asses and trying to make something behind imitate what have worked previously on the xbox.

Top Bottom