• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds Next Gen Port/Remaster announced, titled “The Spacer’s Choice Edition”

Filben

This is how I played and it was glorious. I actually didn't get all of the companions because I had apparently killed one when I decided to slaughter an entire town before talking to anyone there. I loved that the game let me do that. I was a despicable piece of shit psychopath and the game would always "Yes and" me into being able to complete the story.

The constant moaning about this game's supposed wokeness makes me feel like we played different games.
Agreed. Lots of choices and maaany useful skills. Fun dialogues, interesting companions, liked the bullet time that gives you info about enemies and plays better on the gameplay end than some of the other RPG shooters.

The only thing I didn't like was that areas/planets/stations felt sealed away and that my actions rarely transferred over to other places and that the factions were blatantly good or evil with no middle ground or moral ambiguity. That's the problem with highly fantasized or science-fiction plots where you, as a player, come from a completely different world and judge things differently than a character from the game world probably would. Spacer's Choice seems obviously like the overly evil corp and you gotta bring a lot of disbelief to play like "yeah, this actually an awesome take and I'll support them!". It lacks the nuance of let's say the NCR of Fallout (then again there's Ceasar's Legion that is also hard to bond with unless you play as a psychopath).

Anyways, really enjoyed playing the game and looking forward to the Remaster since I haven't got around playing the DLC because I already beat the game and moved on by the time they were released.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Oh shit. Nevermind then. I'd rather mod New Vegas again and play that.

No Thank You Reaction GIF
Probably a good idea.

The one good thing I can say about Outer Worlds is that some of the quests were really fun, and there are so many ways to complete them. You can kill any character in the game and the quests/companions will react appropriately.

E.g. I failed the aforementioned companion quest by
shooting her asexual love interest to death during their first date, at which point Parvati had a hissy fit and left my party.

Last edited:

SCB3

I should really get back into this, I didn’t get too far either just played other games at the time, I think I was also in a deep Destiny hole

Still get this confused with Outer Wilds as well

Raven117

Cool, the flat writing can be experienced again on current platforms.

This game just wasn't up to Obsidian standards of quick witted awesome.

Laptop1991

What does the PC version get and if you already own the game and dlc on Steam like i do, do i have to pay for a whole new game?.

Laptop1991

Announcement article in this YouTube video seems to imply there is a paid upgrade for pre-existing owners

But to be honest... it's Take-Two. Of course they will try to milk extra money from everything they touch
Yeah, probably, still i loved the game, so as long as it's not too expensive i don't mind.

Higher level cap was sorely, sorely needed. I went through this on the Steam Deck and really enjoyed it, despite some issues around lack of enemies and combat being pretty meh, but I hit the level cap pretty early, with a whole bunch left to go.

Perf improvements again also needed, kind of spotty on every system, no matter what.

It's pretty fun, and a nice length. Finished it all, including DLC.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Higher level cap was sorely, sorely needed. I went through this on the Steam Deck and really enjoyed it, despite some issues around lack of enemies and combat being pretty meh, but I hit the level cap pretty early, with a whole bunch left to go.

Perf improvements again also needed, kind of spotty on every system, no matter what.

It's pretty fun, and a nice length. Finished it all, including DLC.
Yeah, it wasn't a perfect game but I enjoyed it. The level cap increase was sorely needed. Was at max cap for a very long time.
Doubt I'll touch the game again or this version though.

What does the PC version get and if you already own the game and dlc on Steam like i do, do i have to pay for a whole new game?.
I can't imagine us upgrading anything we have the best version already

Edit: I take it back, this isn't a simple res and framerate bump.

Players who already have The Outer Worlds and its associated DLC, Murder on Eridanos and Peril on Gorgon, for Xbox One, Xbox Series S/X, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 or PC (Steam, GOG.com, Epic Games Store, or Windows Store), can upgrade to The Outer Worlds: Spacer’s Choice Edition for the latest console generation within that same console family or, if applicable, from that same PC store at a reduced purchase price.*

Basically pay to upgrade on whatever version you have already, whack and I hope it doesn't cost more than 10 bucks since I'm about to finish Metro Exodus and this would be great next

Last edited:

Draugoth

The Outer Worlds: Spacer’s Choice Edition is the ultimate way to play the award-winning RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division. Available March 7th, 2023. You’ve tried the rest, now come back to the best! The Outer Worlds: Spacer’s Choice Edition includes the base game and all add-on content as the definitive way to play the beloved RPG from Obsidian Entertainment. This remastered masterpiece is optimized to be the absolute best version of The Outer Worlds… even if you choose to play this critically acclaimed RPG as the absolute worst version of your character. Lost in transit while on a colonist ship bound for the edge of the galaxy, you awake decades later only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy the colony. Explore the various planets and locations of Halcyon, including the mysterious Gorgon Asteroid and delightful distilleries of Eridanos. As you encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable.

Filldo

I just started playing this, maybe a few hours in. I just left the first planet. All the choices and stats give me anxiety! Haha, trying to just go with it and let my character be whatever is going to be.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Would have been nice if they did what Dying Light 1 did and gave the DLC to free for all the base game owners.

Robb

Will this be on GamePass?

I enjoyed it quite a bit, might go in for a second playthrough in order to play the DLC. Would also be fun to make some different choices and see what happens.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Days after Wo Long and Dead Cells x Castlevania. It's another wait for me.

Stop releasing more shit in March you animals, April is way more dead.

Excellent game that was under-rated, despite some the flaws.

For anyone looking to replay the game, you can play as a homicidal maniac and kill everyone in the game (except the Prof) and it plays into the lore. (You are given an injection that the prof says the side effects may turn you into a maniac and he hides behind a glass screen incase you turn into a maniac)

It is a fun and brutal way of playing and the skill trees are even set up for you to play as a solo John Wick.

ANDS

Thought gaf was racist. Now knows better, honorary gaffer 2022
I really wanted to like this game at launch. Just couldn't get into it like other OBSIDIAN affairs. Not a bad game, just the budget didn't really match the scope of what they wanted to do.

. . .I'm all in for OW2 though.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Excellent game that was under-rated, despite some the flaws.

For anyone looking to replay the game, you can play as a homicidal maniac and kill everyone in the game (except the Prof) and it plays into the lore. (You are given an injection that the prof says the side effects may turn you into a maniac and he hides behind a glass screen incase you turn into a maniac)

It is a fun and brutal way of playing and the skill trees are even set up for you to play as a solo John Wick.
I wasn’t crazy about the game but I did find this part fun. After I cleared the quests in each area I’d go in and dispose of the entire town. I even killed Ellie’s parents and killed Parvati’s asexual love interest during their date.

SF Kosmo

The Trigglypuff
It looks like there's an upgrade path, I think $5.

It gets you whatever visual upgrades (improved lighting, time of day stuff, maybe higher res textures?) and some small amount of new content, and raised level cap.

I'm not very impressed with the visual upgrades in the trailer, the biggest change I can see is the time of day stuff.

Rambotito

Is everyone going to still have the exactly same shaped head and facial features placement? Once you see it....
cDS5KCk.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The base game is on Game Pass, but I am not sure the upgrade will be included. Usually Game Pass only includes "base" games and still charges for DLC.

This is a full packaged re-release, if you want to get the upgrade you're still going to need to pay for the DLC + the enhancement upgrade fee.

As the version is on GP right now, I don't think there will be a 'free upgrade' for it. But they might as well just throw the new version fully on either GP or PS+ as per the publishers discretion.

mdkirby

How was people's reception for this game?

I thought it was kinda shit, surprised of it getting remastered.
It was 'okay', all the pieces for something great were there, but each piece was a bit 'meh'. It was presented as a game with a bit of wit and charm, but felt a bit soulless with forgettable characters. It was presented as quite whacky, but all the weapons and interactions felt a bit vanilla. It was presented as humorous but all the jokes fell a bit flat. It should have been well written given the team behind it, but the writing was bang average. It felt like it should have been very 'immersive sim-y' but really wasn't. It's like it tried its hand at all those things, but fell short on all of them, and then before you know it just as the story feels like its starting to get interesting, it ends.

That was my experience. I never played the DLC, maybe they help flesh it out a bit.

Captiosus

It was 'okay', all the pieces for something great were there, but each piece was a bit 'meh'. It was presented as a game with a bit of wit and charm, but felt a bit soulless with forgettable characters. It was presented as quite whacky, but all the weapons and interactions felt a bit vanilla.
Couldn't have said it better myself. The fact that the game is only 3.5 years old and I can barely remember anything about it is telling, considering I can remember playing FO3, New Vegas, FO4, and Skyrim like I played them yesterday. The only thing I really remember about Outer Worlds was it was decent enough but felt more linear and less impactful than similar games.

The game was, for me, the epitome of a Game Pass title. Had I bought it based on marketing hype, I would have been disappointed. Game Pass saved me the buyers remorse.

Top Bottom