• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Wedbush) November NPD Preview & OFFICIAL Prediction thread

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Aika'svyse said:
Dude more hefty price tag.
But 360 has done better than XBX in the same timeframe (at least in the past 6-7 months) despite its hefty price tag, so why 500k is good news again?

Sony PR : "it's hard to track sales , but all we can say is we have surpassed where we want to be at this point and we are very happy with the response from the US"

MR Q : "So where is it that you are at ... in terms of sales?"

Sony PR : "like i said, it's so hard to tell the actual figures - but we are happy with them..."

MR Q : "Yes... but ... you have to know roughly what you've done in order for you to be happy right?"

Sony PR : "yes, well we know we have surpassed where we want to be at this point..."

MR Q : "..."

Sony PR : "is that all?"

MR Q : "Actually, just one more follow up; are you aware of DCharlie's current sperm count?"

Sony PR : "uh yes actually, our department just got those numbers to us this morning."

MR Q : "And they would be..."

Sony PR : "they match our sold through quota for the week, with would remain zero."

MR Q : "Really?"

Sony PR : "yeah, it seems he just whipped it out and started beating off the moment our company faltered, and hasn't stopped since."

andthebeatgoeson

Mike Works said:
MR Q : "Actually, just one more follow up; are you aware of DCharlie's current sperm count?"

Sony PR : "uh yes actually, our department just got those numbers to us this morning."

MR Q : "And they would be..."

Sony PR : "they match our sold through quota for the week, with would remain zero."

MR Q : "Really?"

Sony PR : "yeah, it seems he just whipped it out and started beating off the moment our company faltered, and hasn't stopped since."

:lol :lol :lol

GhaleonEB said:
I'd say:

400k = bad news
500k = good news
600k = very good
700k = amazing
>700k = minds blown, cats lovin' dogs, mass hysteria!

lowered expectations?

< 600k = bad
> 600k = weak
> 650k = good
> 750k = real good
> 800k = amazing

BTW, I've come to the realization that Sony's current market situation is shit all across the board. The PS2 seems to be still strong, but real development is stopping. PSP & PS3 look to be in serious trouble.

sonycowboy said:
lowered expectations?

< 600k = bad
> 600k = weak
> 650k = good
> 750k = real good
> 800k = amazing

BTW, I've come to the realization that Sony's current market situation is shit all across the board. The PS2 seems to be still strong, but real development is stopping. PSP & PS3 look to be in serious trouble.

PSP I'll give you but PS3? That's just silly.

Elios83

sonycowboy said:
lowered expectations?

< 600k = bad
> 600k = weak
> 650k = good
> 750k = real good
> 800k = amazing

PS3 is in trouble until Sony can ramp up production to real mass market levels.I hope for them that they'll be able to reach a 500k installed base both in Japan and US by end of he year otherwise it would be a completely useless launch.
PSP seems to be doing better than expected,they seem on track to have the same market performance seen last year which was pretty good.Don't forget that Sony has sacrificed PSP growth rate this year for profits. Sony will take care of PSP in 2007,with a price cut and probably a new model.Right now the main concern is PS3 production capacity.

Sharky

Banned
lowered expectations?

< 600k = bad
> 600k = weak
> 650k = good
> 750k = real good
> 800k = amazing

Actually if that site is right and PSP sold 350k in Nov compared to 600K DS, it's not bad at all. Overall they're still not far behind DS lifetime sales in NA and they've still got big bullets of price drop and power unlock left.

And anywhere near 500k for 360 is excellent. Say, 480k (in other words basically 500, but slightly below so it sounds a lot worse) would trigger more GAF riots of Xbox360 is doomed (monthly occurence, meanwhile the console does fine) but in reality, would be a pretty succesful number.

360 is reaching a cant fail stage right before our eyes. By end Dec it'll have 8-10m rabid gamebuying owners worldwide, well above the other consoles, which pretty much guarantees 3rd party support for the forseeable future, which is a self-perpetuating cycle. Add to that it's profitibility outlook being miles ahead of Xbox regardless of sales, the fact they are well down the cost reduction curve so they can slash prices if needed to stimulate sales, and like I said, it's very near cant fail territory at this point. Of course, being shunned in Japan it's unlikely to win the WW sales crown for the gen, but then again as far as MS is concerned, who cares. Anything better than the Xbox while being profitable is a massive success, and it actually looks like they could well exceed that.

Oh, and none of this would matter if 360 didn't appear to be near the graphical equal of the PS3 as well, but it does, so they can relax on dodging that bullet.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Sharky said:
360 is reaching a cant fail stage right before our eyes. By end Dec it'll have 8-10m rabid gamebuying owners worldwide

The "issue" for MS is that the vast majority of those owners are in the US. Everyone knows it has bombed in Japan but it is also not selling very well in Europe at the moment. Crunch time will be how the X360 sells over the next 12 months with Wii and PS3 more readily available.

GhaleonEB

sonycowboy said:
lowered expectations?

< 600k = bad
> 600k = weak
> 650k = good
> 750k = real good
> 800k = amazing

I think of it as realistic expectations, given sales trends. It will take an abnormally high jump in November over October's sales to get to those figures. Now, the circumstances may be there for it, but to call 750k just "real good" is poor classification, IMO. That's a high expectation to set, especially considering how the 360 has performed relative to expectations. was the first XBox's second holiday beyond bad with 1.5m sold?

MrSardonic said:
The "issue" for MS is that the vast majority of those owners are in the US. Everyone knows it has bombed in Japan but it is also not selling very well in Europe at the moment. Crunch time will be how the X360 sells over the next 12 months with Wii and PS3 more readily available.

I would like to see november numbers for europe seeing as how the PS3 hasn't launched yet over there. They should be doing fairly well given they have less competition there.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Sharky said:
Actually if that site is right and PSP sold 350k in Nov compared to 600K DS, it's not bad at all. Overall they're still not far behind DS lifetime sales in NA and they've still got big bullets of price drop and power unlock left.

And anywhere near 500k for 360 is excellent. Say, 480k (in other words basically 500, but slightly below so it sounds a lot worse) would trigger more GAF riots of Xbox360 is doomed (monthly occurence, meanwhile the console does fine) but in reality, would be a pretty succesful number.

360 is reaching a cant fail stage right before our eyes. By end Dec it'll have 8-10m rabid gamebuying owners worldwide, well above the other consoles, which pretty much guarantees 3rd party support for the forseeable future, which is a self-perpetuating cycle. Add to that it's profitibility outlook being miles ahead of Xbox regardless of sales, the fact they are well down the cost reduction curve so they can slash prices if needed to stimulate sales, and like I said, it's very near cant fail territory at this point. Of course, being shunned in Japan it's unlikely to win the WW sales crown for the gen, but then again as far as MS is concerned, who cares. Anything better than the Xbox while being profitable is a massive success, and it actually looks like they could well exceed that.

Oh, and none of this would matter if 360 didn't appear to be near the graphical equal of the PS3 as well, but it does, so they can relax on dodging that bullet.

I think X360 will have closer to 6-7M rabid gamebuying owners by the end of the year....last count its at 4.4M worldwide and in North America(where 90% of X360 sales are) it should sell another 2M units combined in Nov+Dec

8-10M Xbox 360 owners wont happen until next year sometime.....

rs7k

Kleegamefan said:
I think X360 will have closer to 6-7M rabid gamebuying owners by the end of the year....last count its at 4.4M worldwide and in North America(where 90% of X360 sales are) it should sell another 2M units combined in Nov+Dec

Yeah, but if a third party makes a decision on which console to pick to make a game, they may look at a shipped number and assume the userbase will be equal or higher than that number by the time development is over.

That's the whole point of this thread.

Taker666

Sharky said:

True...but software sales are still the most worrying thing in regards to the PSP.

Looking at the Amazon charts there is still only 1 PSP game in the top 100 (Madden 07), compared to 23 DS games.

GhaleonEB

Kleegamefan said:

What's this "last count" you refer to? and IIRC NA is ~60% of MS's sales are, not 90%.

and do you really think only 2m unit will be sold in Nov/Dec world-wide? They're likely to get close to that in the US alone.

I need to ask - why do you still have that absurd avatar? The whole "_DF" does nothing but scuttle conversation around here. bearing it is nothing to be proud of.

Kleegamefan said:

Microsoft will have shipped 10 million units by then. Do you really think that there will be 3-4 million units sitting in DCs and on store shelves?!? Come on now...

Meier

NDS: 865k
360: 655k
PS2: 530k
Wii: 505k
GBA: 465k
PSP: 345k
PS3: 155k
GCN: 85k
Xbox: 7k

Gears of War: 1.2 million
Twilight Princess: 430k
Final Fantasy XII: 950k
Resistance: 90k
GTA LCS: 275k

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Thanks. Guess I can check out the NPD and still have plenty of time before TNA Impact comes on!

you're obviously not considering what a shitstorm the NPD thread is going to be, no matter what the numbers are.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think FFXII will sell more than Gears of War.

Yes, Gears of War is catering to the hardcore 360 owner that is buying games like crazy, but FFXII is selling to a massive install base.

We'll see, I guess. I'm probably wrong.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
xboxslide.jpg

(Question, Why can´t I edit my posts??)

donny2112 said:
Yeah. Simultaneous worldwide launches versus staggered launches will get you shipped numbers being higher at first. In the U.S., Japan, and maybe Europe, too, it's behind the Xbox's pace in actual units in consumer hands, though.
Right on, donny!
Don't let shipment figures fool you.
Just look at Sony's PSP shipments at the end of 2005:
Code:
        [U]shipped[/U] vs. [U]Sold[/U]
PSP  - 15.03m   ~10.1m
NDS - 14.43m   ~13.3m
Going by shipped, you'd think PSP was ahead when in reality DS was ahead by 3m+!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm trying to sign up for NPD data. The website isn't being helpful at all.
Where do I go?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
John Harker said:
I'm trying to sign up for NPD data. The website isn't being helpful at all.
Where do I go?

If you're going to be throwing around tens of thousands of dollars per month, why don't you just give me the money and I'll give you the leaked numbers when they come out?

John Harker

Stumpokapow said:
If you're going to be throwing around tens of thousands of dollars, why don't you just give me the money and I'll give you the leaked numbers when they come out?

I'm not paying for it :)

But I'm serious. Wheres the damn sign up form?
Anyone know the cost, too?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
John Harker said:
I'm not paying for it :)

But I'm serious. Wheres the damn sign up form?
Anyone know the cost, too?

If you've got some mysterious millionaire nerd bankrolling you tens of thousands of dollars a month to get him NPD numbers, why don't you just give me the money and I'll give you the leaked numbers a few hours after they come out?

Your question is just like asking "Where's the signup form to buy a Boeing 777?". It doesn't work that way. There is no signup form. There is a form on their site to leave your information for them to send you followup information, but it's not as simple as filling out a form, you need to talk to NPD first.

The cost is anywhere from a thousand or so a month on up depending on the breadth and depth of data you want access to and the industry sector you are asking about. I have no idea what the entertainment numbers cost, but it's pretty much besides the point--if you have to ask the cost, you probably won't pay it.

John Harker

Stumpokapow said:
If you've got some mysterious millionaire nerd bankrolling you tens of thousands of dollars a month to get him NPD numbers, why don't you just give me the money and I'll give you the leaked numbers a few hours after they come out?

Your question is just like asking "Where's the signup form to buy a Boeing 777?". It doesn't work that way. There is no signup form. There is a form on their site to leave your information for them to send you followup information, but it's not as simple as filling out a form, you need to talk to NPD first.

I don't think I can fit you in as a line item on our budget, sorry bud.

Well, that's dissapointing. I wanted some figuers for financing before I contacted NPD. Fine, thanks. Anyone know offhand the costs for the retail tracking reports?

lix2k3

But seriously, aren't NPD numbers released on the second Thursday. Today is the first Thursday of the month....anyone????

bud

lix2k3 said:
But seriously, aren't NPD numbers released on the second Thursday. Today is the first Thursday of the month....anyone????

The answer is hidden in the first post.

Top Bottom