• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 |OT| On the backs of Titans we go!

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
So I'm looking for some new RPG and am really undecided if I should get this.

My experience with the franchise is limited to the first Xenobalde which I liked but didn't love.

I liked the main quest, I enjoyed the story and I really liked the world with all its cool locations and awesome art direction .

I didn't really care for the combat . Felt very basic and monotonous. It would have been better if you could use several characters at once but since you are limited to one it felt like you just needed to figure out the basics of the character and then input the same commands in 90% of the rights.

I also didn't care for the F2P MMO style sidequests and found the optional content really lacking . Even the missions to unlock new skills for your team were boring fetch quests.

So...with that in mind. Would you recommend this one
It sounds like Xenoblade 2 is right up your alley in the combat department. I am 300 hours in and still haven’t mastered it. It’s deep. I’m not a big JRPG player though.

The sidequests I’m not sure. The rare blade quests are interesting, but the majority of sidequests are fetch quests really.

Fbh

It sounds like Xenoblade 2 is right up your alley in the combat department. I am 300 hours in and still haven’t mastered it. It’s deep. I’m not a big JRPG player though.

The sidequests I’m not sure. The rare blade quests are interesting, but the majority of sidequests are fetch quests really.
How necessary are the sidequests ?

Will I be outleveled and having to grind if I don't do them or can I can just ignore them and focus on the main story ?

JORMBO

Darkness no more

Will I be outleveled and having to grind if I don't do them or can I can just ignore them and focus on the main story ?

I didn't do many sidequests and I was able to beat the main story without grinding.

KevinKeene

Banned
Imo there's one boss fight in the game that might require some grimding, but then again there's plenty of sidequests to get easy exp.

Near the end of my new game+ playthrough and I pretty much only fought bosses and still made it (with the exception of the aforementioned one).

But I have to say, Zeke zucks, erm, sucks. I love his character, but what he has over Rex in terms of strength, he cannot make with his lacking speed. Still using him until the credits because it was my firm plan for this 2nd playthrough.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken

Yeah, like the others said. You should be able to finish the game with minimal sidequest usage, but if you are a completionist and want to max out all rare blade abilities, you’ll be doing a fair few.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
But I have to say, Zeke zucks, erm, sucks. I love his character, but what he has over Rex in terms of strength, he cannot make with his lacking speed. Still using him until the credits because it was my firm plan for this 2nd playthrough.
I would say Zeke can get crazy deadly with Herald. You could do crazy amount of damage.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Finally finished it. First time I’ve ever completed a JRPG. 315 hours. I don’t know what happened. I may be obsessive compulsive lol. But, to be fair, I’ve been virtually bedridden for over a month, so I had the time.

Wow. A magical game with a really nice moral message running through it for the young ones. Found myself attached to the characters despite the anime-ness of it all. Wonderful, wonderful soundtrack. Combat system that never got boring. Has a few questionable design decisions in terms of UI, menu system, unskippable repetitive sequences etc, but when you realise that the main developer team is numbered in the 40s and they pumped this massive game out in roughly 2 years, that is forgiven. A very special game.

I cannot wait to see what Monolith Soft do next with the rumoured high fantasy RPG.

Fbh

So I ended up getting it.

And I'm really liking it so far. Combat seems like a step up from the first one, the environments so far are really nice (though in a way it makes the low resolution hurt more) and the story has me engaged and wanting to see how it goes on. Both the story and Character are very anime-like but I have been impressed with the cutscenes, there is just something about the animations and the way dialog flows that almost makes it seem like an actual anime which is a big step up from the more stiff and videogamey cutscenes in something like a tales of game.

The one area I haven't liked is a main mission early on when you get Nia out of Jail, which is were I'm now. The whole area is incredibly bland to the point it feel amateurish. We get her out of her cell and now the objective is to escape, so I do what makes perfect sense to me and just go back the way we came in..... which is in no way blocked or protected. So now we are outside and I'm just walking around the city wondering why the objective marker still wants me to go inside the ship (I'm starting to think it's bugged or something). But no, turns out the game just wants me to go back inside and escape through another, way more complicated route. It just seems....incredibly silly.
Also the area itself is bland and for some reason the vast majority of enemies in it ignore me. I can run around rooms filled with enemies and no one gives a shit. I entered a room and one guy started attacking me (only after I stood right in front of him) and everyone else in the room just kept doing their work and ignoring us.

So yeah, really fun so far though this last area has been so unpolished it's quite surprising. Hopefully the next story areas are better

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
I have been impressed with the cutscenes, there is just something about the animations and the way dialog flows that almost makes it seem like an actual anime which is a big step up from the more stiff and videogamey cutscenes in something like a tales of game.

Very true. I'd go as far as to say Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has the best cinematography of any game ever. As you say, it feel likes watching an actual anime, not just a video game cutscene.

All Xenoblade-games have great cutscenes, though. Even with the Wii's shitty graphics, Xenoblade Chronicles 1 did excite me with its outstanding cutscene editing.

Danjin44

Very true. I'd go as far as to say Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has the best cinematography of any game ever. As you say, it feel likes watching an actual anime, not just a video game cutscene.

All Xenoblade-games have great cutscenes, though. Even with the Wii's shitty graphics, Xenoblade Chronicles 1 did excite me with its outstanding cutscene editing.
I especially like some battles in cutscenes, they very epic.

wildstrike

I finished this game yesterday. This was such an up and down game for me. It had moments where it made me want to quit and not play it again followed by moments that made it one of the most memorable games I've ever played. I think the game mechanics are lacking. I never felt like combat was fun, but a frustrating task I had to try and trick into doing what I wanted. Combat was such a chore to me that I actively avoided it in the last half of the game. I loved the story and personally connected with it and the deeper message of the last chapter. Unfortunately for me I don't see a reason to try NG+. Also did the game ever tell us how rare Over Drive Protocols are? I absolutely regret using mine when I did.

Danjin44

I finished this game yesterday. This was such an up and down game for me. It had moments where it made me want to quit and not play it again followed by moments that made it one of the most memorable games I've ever played. I think the game mechanics are lacking. I never felt like combat was fun, but a frustrating task I had to try and trick into doing what I wanted. Combat was such a chore to me that I actively avoided it in the last half of the game. I loved the story and personally connected with it and the deeper message of the last chapter. Unfortunately for me I don't see a reason to try NG+. Also did the game ever tell us how rare Over Drive Protocols are? I absolutely regret using mine when I did.
Really!!? I personally LOOOOOOVE the combat, to the point that I went searching for unique monsters to beat. This why Zenobia is one my favourite blade because her affinity is all about killing unique monsters.

Last edited:

wildstrike

Really!!? I personally LOOOOOOVE the combat, to the point that I went searching for unique monsters to beat. This why Zenobia is one my favourite blade because her affinity is all about killing unique monsters.

I was never able to unlock that blade. Perhaps the more I think about it I didn't expereince real growth in this game. I'm sure if someone who was experienced would look at my game and say "why aren't you using these chips" or "why aren't you using this blade", but the truth is I tried to avoid looking stuff up and the game just poorly explains a lot of it's mechanics. When it does it only explains them once and you probably don't have the party to completely prefrom that mechanic yet. I can't every remember leveling up something and thinking "wow this opens up so much more now". I also felt like I had to trick my other drivers into using the combos I wanted too much. Fights felt like HP sponges to me and not thrilling combat. The story was so good I would forget about these issue and just keep playing.

Danjin44

I was never able to unlock that blade. Perhaps the more I think about it I didn't expereince real growth in this game. I'm sure if someone who was experienced would look at my game and say "why aren't you using these chips" or "why aren't you using this blade", but the truth is I tried to avoid looking stuff up and the game just poorly explains a lot of it's mechanics. When it does it only explains them once and you probably don't have the party to completely prefrom that mechanic yet. I can't every remember leveling up something and thinking "wow this opens up so much more now". I also felt like I had to trick my other drivers into using the combos I wanted too much. Fights felt like HP sponges to me and not thrilling combat. The story was so good I would forget about these issue and just keep playing.
That part I have to agree. As much as I love the combat, it took me while wrap my head around how the combat works and what worst the game didn't have the option in menu for you to review the tutorials.

wildstrike

That part I have to agree. As much as I love the combat, it took me while wrap my head around how the combat works and what worst the game didn't have the option in menu for you to review the tutorials.

I did actually turn to youtube to try to figure out combat around chapter 4 because I could not understand how to preform seals and chain atacks.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse

I'd agree to an extent. It wasn't until late game that I finally managed to pull together a break/topple/lauch/smash combo when realistically I could have been doing it a lot sooner. There's certainly a fair amount of experimentation required in order to master the full battle system but even up to that point I was enjoying it. Chips and the like I just used my usual RPG tactic of finding a beastie that drops something powerful relative to my level, wailed on a few for chips and then forgot all about it until they became weak and I needed something a bit more powerful. I think I only changed chips 3 times during the game.

It gives you a lot of freedom but that in itself can be overwhelming. You're right though, it would have been nice to have a menu option of something where you could go back and re-watch tutorials and learn how to perform combat combos and the like.

Finally finished it. First time I’ve ever completed a JRPG. 315 hours. I don’t know what happened. I may be obsessive compulsive lol. But, to be fair, I’ve been virtually bedridden for over a month, so I had the time.

Wow. A magical game with a really nice moral message running through it for the young ones. Found myself attached to the characters despite the anime-ness of it all. Wonderful, wonderful soundtrack. Combat system that never got boring. Has a few questionable design decisions in terms of UI, menu system, unskippable repetitive sequences etc, but when you realise that the main developer team is numbered in the 40s and they pumped this massive game out in roughly 2 years, that is forgiven. A very special game.

I cannot wait to see what Monolith Soft do next with the rumoured high fantasy RPG.

I think it may be my first completed JRPG as well. I'm 65 hours in and only on Chapter 4. I keep seeing all of these blades I have not seen in my playthrough. Where do you get them? Everytime I open a core it's a regular blade. I think I am compulsive too as I work on every quest I can find. I need to just move the story along though.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I think it may be my first completed JRPG as well. I'm 65 hours in and only on Chapter 4. I keep seeing all of these blades I have not seen in my playthrough. Where do you get them? Everytime I open a core it's a regular blade. I think I am compulsive too as I work on every quest I can find. I need to just move the story along though.
You get a handful of rare blades in story missions, but the majority is just blind, dumb luck from bonding with cores.

The algorithm they use for getting a rare blade from a core is one of my issues with the game. After 315 hours played, I still are missing 2-3 rare blades. I like the concept of the randomness of it, but I think they could have been a bit more forgiving.

About moving the story along, when I got to the part that was obviously the final battle of the game, I stopped and spent about another 100-150 hours just completing affinity charts for all my blades, trying to unlock missing blades and finishing side missions. I couldn’t help it, I just had to, lol.

Danjin44

There is actually nice video of how the anime artstyle worked for its benefit.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
There is actually nice video of how the anime artstyle worked for its benefit.

I actually thought the character designs were gorgeous (except Rex’s suit *shudders*) and very expressive. I mainly by “anime-ness” mean the ridiculous poses when characters are talking (example being Zeke) and stuff like teaching Pyra to be more maid-ey in that heart to heart. Nothing offensive, just really over the top Japanese-style cartoon tropes. I don’t dislike anime, but I’m not a huge fan either. I don’t want that stuff removed or anything, it’s just not really my thing.

You get a handful of rare blades in story missions, but the majority is just blind, dumb luck from bonding with cores.

The algorithm they use for getting a rare blade from a core is one of my issues with the game. After 315 hours played, I still are missing 2-3 rare blades. I like the concept of the randomness of it, but I think they could have been a bit more forgiving.

About moving the story along, when I got to the part that was obviously the final battle of the game, I stopped and spent about another 100-150 hours just completing affinity charts for all my blades, trying to unlock missing blades and finishing side missions. I couldn’t help it, I just had to, lol.

I've been sending all blades out on Merc missions to fill up the affinity charts. Is there any good reason to do this for the regular blades since they don't often get used in my teams?

Danjin44

I actually thought the character designs were gorgeous (except Rex’s suit *shudders*) and very expressive. I mainly by “anime-ness” mean the ridiculous poses when characters are talking (example being Zeke) and stuff like teaching Pyra to be more maid-ey in that heart to heart. Nothing offensive, just really over the top Japanese-style cartoon tropes. I don’t dislike anime, but I’m not a huge fan either. I don’t want that stuff removed or anything, it’s just not really my thing.
I will honest with you, first reveal trailer I was kind of turned off by the style even tho I LOVE anime. But after 295 hours in to game I end up loving the designs. I love how expressive they are and made me getting attached to them and I really missing them after finishing the game like I did with Persona series. I did same mistake with Tokyo Mirage Session, When they first reveal that game I was really turned off by it because I wasn't really in to Idol culture but after playing it I end up loving it and I'm currently hoping they would release the game on switch as well.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I've been sending all blades out on Merc missions to fill up the affinity charts. Is there any good reason to do this for the regular blades since they don't often get used in my teams?
Once I could fill out my squads with rare blades, I pretty much ignored regular blades for the rest of the game. The only time I used them was for merc missions where I had to fill out the requirements and equipping regular blades with the salvaging skill to maximize my salvaging haul. Other than that, they are pretty much useless except for very early in the game.

Once I could fill out my squads with rare blades, I pretty much ignored regular blades for the rest of the game. The only time I used them was for merc missions where I had to fill out the requirements and equipping regular blades with the salvaging skill to maximize my salvaging haul. Other than that, they are pretty much useless except for very early in the game.

that's kind of what I am thinking. I just didn't know if there was any exp benefit to sending the regular blades out and filling the affinity chart. I don't think one gets exp for the regulars.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse

It's worth completing the affinity charts for the 4 star commons. It's the only way of getting extra overdrives should you have rare blades attached to the "wrong" characters. You just complete the 4 star and then release them and you should get an overdrive for your trouble.

Common blades are also capable of having higher passive buffs than rares. You can get commons who boost agility by upto 24% whereas the best dodge-tank rare blades only provide 15%. Put 2 such commons on a character and then stick with the one rare blade and your character can get a significant stat boost.

Just got the game. Why doesn't the field dialogue get subbed? Just seems like a weird oversight and makes it harder to play it in japanese voices.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
The Mythra figure went up for preorder this week.

Price: 19,800 JPY
Release Date: February 28, 2019
Pre-order cancellation cut off on Amazon JP: May 15, 2018

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIGURE-038548&rank=
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07CFM3F7X/

nEMtBER.jpg

KevinKeene

Banned
Really pains men not to order her. But I cancelled my Pyra, and that's the more rational decision. Honestly, if they ever make one of those RealDolls looking like Pyra/Mythra, I'll start saving money. But putting a figure on my shelf, just sitting there ... too much money for that.

Really pains men not to order her. But I cancelled my Pyra, and that's the more rational decision. Honestly, if they ever make one of those RealDolls looking like Pyra/Mythra, I'll start saving money. But putting a figure on my shelf, just sitting there ... too much money for that.
Real doll pyra? I THINK IT MOVED JERRY!

Danjin44

How do I get overdrive protocols I used too many early on and I've only gotten 1 in the past chapter
Some of them you will find from chests, another way you get them is when you finish Rex and other party member's skill tree.

Last edited:
There were only 2000 made, so you probably won’t find one here for sale. The few Japanese auctions I saw had it going for several times the original price.

Yeah I know, I'm not expecting anyone to sell at MSRP. If I'm reading the market right, the market value will stabilize at around 300% MSRP in about 5 days... which is still a lot. Getting it straight from Japan is also not ideal for me.
I've been trying to get one for a while now but I got screwed over by a seller that turned out to be a lying shitter.
If anyone can live without theirs, PM me your general location and price.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Yeah I know, I'm not expecting anyone to sell at MSRP. If I'm reading the market right, the market value will stabilize at around 300% MSRP in about 5 days... which is still a lot. Getting it straight from Japan is also not ideal for me.
I've been trying to get one for a while now but I got screwed over by a seller that turned out to be a lying shitter.
If anyone can live without theirs, PM me your general location and price.

Best of luck on your hunt. Let us know if you are successful. I had a chance to get one when they were first put up for sale. I didn’t want to spend $200 on a soundtrack so I settled for version B. I wish I would have grabbed version A now.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Just saw there is a new update coming tomorrow:
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/05/2...-tomorrow-electric-new-expansion-pass-quests/

Dd7jX6DV4AAC0So_thumb.jpg

Nintendo announced that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is getting its update 1.4.1 tomorrow, May 25, and with it comes several quests for those with the Expansion Pass.

Here are the quests included in the third wave of Expansion Pass DLC quests,

• Blacksmith’s Harmony (Available after Chapter 3)
  • Celebrity’s Hat (Available after Chapter 5)
  • Creating Love Source (Available after Chapter 7)
  • Mercenary’s Law (Available After Chapter 10, must have completed Expansion Pass: New Quests Pack 2’s “Beaneth the Aurora)
  • Merclibay Islet’s Powerful Foe (Available after Chapter 10, must have acquired the Rare Blade Zenobia, Electra with Lv. 5 Electric Mastery, and Herald with Lv. 5 Rampage).

TitanNut88

Ok. Something strange happens to me with this game. I started it twice. First time I have arrived to chapter 6 and I left it because I found it boring. Seeing that it got some updates, I started it again and I am now on chapter 5 and I'm starting to get bored again. I can't explain why, but I find the battles boring. I enjoyed FFXII a lot and I thought I would enjoy Xenoblade 2 too as battle system is quite similar. Maybe I'm getting old...

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Ok. Something strange happens to me with this game. I started it twice. First time I have arrived to chapter 6 and I left it because I found it boring. Seeing that it got some updates, I started it again and I am now on chapter 5 and I'm starting to get bored again. I can't explain why, but I find the battles boring. I enjoyed FFXII a lot and I thought I would enjoy Xenoblade 2 too as battle system is quite similar. Maybe I'm getting old...
That’s interesting. I found the battle system one of the best parts about the game. I never felt like I fully mastered it, but it never got boring for me and was one of the reasons that this was the first JRPG I ever finished. I’m old too btw.

It must have inspired me because I am now a bee’s dick away from finishing Final Fantasy VI, lol.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

Are you chaining elements, swapping blades, etc? I found the combat to be really fun once I fully understood it.

Danjin44

I also LOOOOOVE the combat but I admit that it took me while to understand how the combat works but once it clicked the game very enjoyable and highly addictive.

Just saw there is a new update coming tomorrow:
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/05/2...-tomorrow-electric-new-expansion-pass-quests/

Dd7jX6DV4AAC0So_thumb.jpg

Nintendo announced that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is getting its update 1.4.1 tomorrow, May 25, and with it comes several quests for those with the Expansion Pass.

Here are the quests included in the third wave of Expansion Pass DLC quests,

• Blacksmith’s Harmony (Available after Chapter 3)
  • Celebrity’s Hat (Available after Chapter 5)
  • Creating Love Source (Available after Chapter 7)
  • Mercenary’s Law (Available After Chapter 10, must have completed Expansion Pass: New Quests Pack 2’s “Beaneth the Aurora)
  • Merclibay Islet’s Powerful Foe (Available after Chapter 10, must have acquired the Rare Blade Zenobia, Electra with Lv. 5 Electric Mastery, and Herald with Lv. 5 Rampage).
Cooool! Only game I've ever bought a season pass for and its been worth it. I noticed my favorite side quests had (DLC mission)
And there's 10 chapters? O_O I only ever saw mention of 7 so I figured that's how long. Can't believe I'm only half way through O_O

Are you chaining elements, swapping blades, etc? I found the combat to be really fun once I fully understood it.
How do you chain elements?
And as far as break-slam I've only got as far as launching.
And what is meant by canceling an attack. There's aux cores mention it I think and spots on the boards that talk about it.
I agree I love the combat in this game. I sort of liked gambits in 12 better once you had enough of them to do what you want but I find partner AI in this game good. Out of combat I love when they fall from high up or I see them somehow on a roof. Like etc you doing?
Also am I crazy or does this game need a beastiary?

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
How do you chain elements?
And as far as break-slam I've only got as far as launching.
And what is meant by canceling an attack. There's aux cores mention it I think and spots on the boards that talk about it.
I agree I love the combat in this game. I sort of liked gambits in 12 better once you had enough of them to do what you want but I find partner AI in this game good. Out of combat I love when they fall from high up or I see them somehow on a roof. Like etc you doing?
Also am I crazy or does this game need a beastiary?

If you use an elemental attack you will see a chart of different elemental chains in the upper right. You can then chain together three elements according to that which will let you use a powerful attack, and place an elemental orb on the enemy.

There’s then a meter that is three bars long in the upper left corner of the UI (the name escapes me at the moment). When that is full you can hit the plus sign button on the controller to release an “elemental burst attack” on an enemy. This will use the elemental orbs I previously mentioned to unleash a huge attack. The more orbs you build up for the different elements on an enemy the more potential for higher damage.

To me the combat became a lot of fun trying to swap blades to build up different elemental orbs, and then unleashing elemental bursts for crazy damage.

If you use an elemental attack you will see a chart of different elemental chains in the upper right. You can then chain together three elements according to that which will let you use a powerful attack, and place an elemental orb on the enemy.

There’s then a meter that is three bars long in the upper left corner of the UI (the name escapes me at the moment). When that is full you can hit the plus sign button on the controller to release an “elemental burst attack” on an enemy. This will use the elemental orbs I previously mentioned to unleash a huge attack. The more orbs you build up for the different elements on an enemy the more potential for higher damage.

To me the combat became a lot of fun trying to swap blades to build up different elemental orbs, and then unleashing elemental bursts for crazy damage.
Oh okay I've been doing that. I've only ever launched with element chains I haven't seen any blades with launch or slam. I topple every battle. Know how I launch and slam consistently?

Oh i also watched this video early on has good tips for getting all rare blades. Mentions equipping stuff with high luck and to raise things like truth or bravery etc to target certain elemental rares.
Good watch if you're wondering how to better your chances

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Oh okay I've been doing that. I've only ever launched with element chains I haven't seen any blades with launch or slam. I topple every battle. Know how I launch and slam consistently?

You should have launch and slam on some of the main blades half way through the story. I am not sure where you are so I do not want to spoil anything. Some of the blades you get from crystals will have them too, but that will be luck of the draw depending on which blades you get.

Top Bottom