• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

DarkCloud

CBOAT just trolled. The 400k is confirmed. Wasn't really an update CBOAT just wanted to watch the world burn. In all honesty, I don't know why it wasn't perm.

Shame it wasn't 6-7 months instead of 5. Would serve him right to miss E3. Not that it matters I guess as he'd just post whatever somewhere else and it'd make it back here anyways.

vpance

So you think MS will sacrifice 150-200$ per console to beat sony in one territory? Thats not how business works. Phil has to make profits and thats all that matters to investors. Not if they destroy Sony or if they're getting destroyed by Sony. As rich as MS is Xbox can't throw out money and sacrifice profit for the next 5-7 years.

Can't remember exactly but didn't MS project 1 billion dollars less in revenues for the division in their forecast recently? Or was it YoY performance. Anyhow I think they set aside huge subsidies for the Bone.

Do we have confirmed numbers?

1240k Xbone
840k PS4
245k Wii U
550k 3DS

Search the thread for software.

Multiple sources my balls. There is anything which confirmed that.

Even if you don't believe GAF insiders, the HW sales can be pieced together by the NPD percentage increases and decreases for Wii U/total console market, respectively, and the Xbox One official number of 1.2 million.

Cboat intentionally mislead (or depending on who you believe, accidentally did), which is why he was banned, it affected the first 20 pages of discussion with bad info.

Bricky

*Walks into thread*

What in the world happened here?

*Sees CBOAT troll*

U4Drake_PSX.gif

omonimo

Banned
That sounds terrible for gamers. Undercut the competition instead of competing, then bring back all the DRM and squeeze that lemon when there is no alternative.

I hope to god I'm wrong, but my fears about Microsofts intention for entering the gaming market were widely confirmed with their announcement of XB1. They showed their cards.

Competition between these two companies keep them honest and provides consumer surplus to us gamers as they vie for our wallets. But Microsoft doesn't really need our wallets short term, they'll take the losses and cover it from their other cash cows.

I do wonder how Sony can compete with that in the long term. Seems its just a matter of time, unless Microsoft pushes too far too soon again.
And here we go.

Multiple sources my balls. There is anything which confirmed that.

Geek wire confirmed with NPD that MS sold 1.2m in the US. Tom Warren came in here and confirmed as well. Cream posted the pie chart which you can back into the XBO numbers based on the public Wii U numbers.

What other confirmation do you need?

CBOAT was also banned for trolling because his numbers were just thrown in to mes with people. Why else would he be banned if his numbers were close?

Can you please tell me why all our usual sources would be lying about the numbers? Take the blinders off man. MS had a great month. Took price cuts and pack ins but the U.S. will be a contest

So you think MS will sacrifice 150-200$ per console to beat sony in one territory? Thats not how business works. Phil has to make profits and thats all that matters to investors. Not if they destroy Sony or if they're getting destroyed by Sony. As rich as MS is Xbox can't throw out money and sacrifice profit for the next 5-7 years.

Not really sure how you reached the 150-200 figure. Could be me missing something.

The One originally went for 499 dollars. They unbundled Kinect, thereby saving 75 dollars or more in construction costs. That takes it to 425 straight away. MS can easily stretch to a 75 dollar hit per unit. The games and bundles do have a cost, but PS4 was/is getting similarly bundled too (GTA etc).

1240k Xbone
840k PS4
245k Wii U
550k 3DS

ahhh so cboat got banned. Interesting. Craycray numbers. Except for wii U :| That is good for MS though. Momentum is everything in this industry imo. Keeping it up is key. If things go back to they were in the next few months it won't be so great.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Why can't they? Sony have what for the holiday? Uncharted 4? They spread thier titles all over the year, when it come to holiday,
it will be forza6, halo 5, tomb raider maybe QB vs uncharted 4 and...weather patch for Bloodborne?
Not to mention MS have another COD and AC marketing deal, Sony don't have destiny to save them this time around.
I'll see you in a few hours.

Nice win for MS, anything else would've been a massive slap in the face.

I don't think they'll go back to the old price, people react very badly to such things and they can't really afford it with their lineup untill late 2015.

Raist

Banned
Sony will be lucky to claw back the gains MS will have made in Nov + Dec by Oct of next year. Maybe if they can cut the price around E3 it'd be more certain. But then again they have a great line up and Batman co marketing so who knows.

Sony isn't the one who needs to "claw back".
The difference is back to what it was as of august.

Now that I'm thinking about it.. did CBOAT ever release sales numbers before to begin with?

To my knowledge, never. Unless I'm mistaken I wouldn't imagine that MS make the NPD available to all internally. Maybe a congrats email with the numbers max, but he knew what he was doing. He waited until the thread came up and posted right away because he knew what it would do.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
But that's how both the XB and XB360 worked as well as the PS3 ...

I understand your point it's strange to mention this now after we just left a lost leader generation where Sony wiped out it's PS2 and PS1 profits to simply stay competitive.

They wiped out their profits not by staying competitive, but by doing stupid shit and being overconfident. It was the exact opposite of being competitive. Their lead was wiped out before they course corrected. That's why they had to course correct.

omonimo

Banned
Geek wire confirmed with NPD that MS sold 1.2m in the US. Tom Warren came in here and confirmed as well. Cream posted the pie chart which you can back into the XBO numbers based on the public Wii U numbers.

What other confirmation do you need?

CBOAT was also banned for trolling because his numbers were just thrown in to mes with people. Why else would he be banned if his numbers were close?

Can you please tell me why all our usual sources would be lying about the numbers? Take the blinders off man. MS had a great month. Took price cuts and pack ins but the U.S. will be a contest
Where are those multiple sources about 800k of the ps4? If you ask to me, around 800k seems quite low considering the normal npd month of the ps4.

Journey

Banned
Of MS winning by 400k this month. Yes. There are multiple sources and posts confirming that. CBOAT trolled and got banned for 5 months.

Holy MOG, what did I wake up to? CBOAT crashed MS party last night, last I checked it looked like this for MS fans.

post-38275-Community-Troy-Pizza-Fire-gif-qJC1.gif

Untitled-2f28ed.gif

success-kid-meme-generator-hell-yeah-tie-winning-ea670b.jpg

CBOAT trolled it so hard that it was down to a tie. Not surprised he got banned, what did MS do to this man?

To my knowledge, never. Unless I'm mistaken I wouldn't imagine that MS make the NPD available to all internally. Maybe a congrats email with the numbers max, but he knew what he was doing. He waited until the thread came up and posted right away because he knew what it would do.

In the first place, why would any attempt to catch a 'leaker' be something so intangible like 7-10k? MS has NPD reports, they know exactly how much they're ahead down to the single digits. Any comms sent out to employees with such a random statement is strange.

I agree that CBOAT did what he did because he knew what kind of reaction it would create. His 10 minutes of entertainment before getting busted by Cream/Cosmic.

Xando

But that's how both the XB and XB360 worked as well as the PS3 ...

I understand your point it's strange to mention this now after we just left a lost leader generation where Sony wiped out it's PS2 and PS1 profits to simply stay competitive.
Can't remember exactly but didn't MS project 1 billion dollars less in revenues for the division in their forecast recently? Or was it YoY performance. Anyhow I think they set aside huge subsidies for the Bone.

We all know in what position Sony was/is after the PS3.I think the difference is that PS is a core business to Sony but Xbox is not so important to MS profits (similiar to WP or Surface) thats why i think MS is much more likely to limit budget of their Xbox/Devices division (Only if it gets really bad in revenue/profit).

Even if they are always lumped together "Europe, ME and Others" isn't really a single market. Not even Europe is a single market.
The UK for example mirrors the US market much more than the European one.
You also have about 5 million different languages and rating agencies in Europe.

Doesn't change the fact that Sony seems to divide them into Americas/EMEO/Asia, Japan. The link i've posted is directly from their investor relations day.

Not really sure how you reached the 150-200 figure. Could be me missing something.

The One originally went for 499 dollars. They unbundled Kinect, thereby saving 75 dollars or more in construction costs. That takes it to 425 straight away. MS can easily stretch to a 75 dollar hit per unit. The games and bundles do have a cost, but PS4 was/is getting similarly bundled too (GTA etc).
The poster i quoted said MS needs to go so deep that sony can't follow. I don't believe Sony would follow if MS cut the price to 250/200.

They wiped out their profits not by staying competitive, but by doing stupid shit and being overconfident. It was the exact opposite of being competitive. Their lead was wiped out before they course corrected. That's why they had to course correct.

Sony had to drop the price in 3 consecutive years after launch in order to gain what was an eventual tie with the Xbox 360 ww. Given its higher manufacturing cost, it is accurate to say they bled money to stay competitive. Same with MS losing a billion for 360 returns or price dropping the original Xbox to be price matched with PS2 at $199.

I hardly believe Ps4 sold just 800k. Seems quite low for this month.

The real surprise was MS selling 1.2k million. That is an absurdly high figure, no matter how one scratches it.

In hindsight, it's not that unbelievable given that MS started November with a bang (349 with triple bundles), on top of Black Friday, but it's a great achievement.

FZZ

Banned
I hardly believe Ps4 sold just 800k. Seems quite low for this month.

Where are those multiple sources about 800k of the ps4? If you ask to me, around 800k seems quite low considering the normal npd month of the ps4.

Bro creamsugar is the source, he's been giving data for months. CosmicQueso also pointed out that Microsoft had a sizable lead. He has NPD data as well.

Look at Sho Nuffs numbers above. There was a pie chart posted by our source who is always right. Take the wii u 245k and do the geometry.

I know you don't want to believe it but it happened. The PS4 megabundaru sold around 330k. The ACU bundle alone sold around 700-800k for the XBO

vpance

Sony isn't the one who needs to "claw back".
The difference is back to what it was as of august.

If they're merely happy with tying MS in the US then you could look at it that way. 1 million buffer as of end of Oct was amazing for Sony, but considerably less so in a year's time, and again the following year.

Anyways it's mostly semantics.

Until I see actual proof then nothing is certain.

wotta, I think you're a swell guy, but that line of thought doesn't work here.

For better or worse, discussions are taking place on assumptions of trust that these numbers are real. We won't get the numbers officially, but alas.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sony had to drop the price in 3 consecutive years after launch in order to gain what was an eventual tie with the Xbox 360 ww. Given its higher manufacturing cost, it is accurate to say they bled money to stay competitive. Same with MS losing a billion for 360 returns or price dropping the original Xbox to be price matched with PS2 at $199.

I promise you, that is peanuts compared to how much they lost when the cell failed to take off and they had to loose 300 bucks per unit for 2 years straight.

Loris146

1240k Xbone
840k PS4
245k Wii U
550k 3DS

Even if you don't believe GAF insiders, the HW sales can be pieced together by the NPD percentage increases and decreases for Wii U/total console market, respectively, and the Xbox One official number of 1.2 million.

Cboat intentionally mislead (or depending on who you believe, accidentally did), which is why he was banned, it affected the first 20 pages of discussion with bad info.

Wow , so Xbox One did very well in the end. PS4 did "well" too.

Until I see actual proof then nothing is certain.

Some of you just don't want to believe it, but it's what happened. Geek wire posted the number for MS which confirms the leaks.

Do you need the full officia NPD report to believe that MS won by 400k? I think some of you really need to reconsider things if you refuse to believe this number but you believed numbers from the same source for all previous months.

Top Bottom