• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Software Sales Results for February 2007

Raw64life

sonycowboy said:
OK.

I'm going to take a few requests here. From the top 100 (or what you assume would be in the top 100), request a title. I'll post that title and it's ranking in the top 100 by units.

Based on concensus from you guys, I'll post the top 5 titles not listed here. And tomorrow, I'll work on trying to get some more interesting numbers from this month. Cause, the summaries for some of these results almost as interesting.

I'll start:

32) PS3 VIRTUA FIGHTER 5 53k

Wii Sonic

Wii SSX Blur

NDS Yoshi's Island DS

NDS New Super Mario Bros.

Jammy

Banned
Fio Maravilha said:
SSX Blur.

It was only out for a day or two, I believe. I think it would be best forgetting about the game this month and try to find out its LTD numbers when the March LTD comes out.

GhaleonEB

---- said:
Poor Viva. Perhaps if there was a bald space marine pinata and you could accessorize the pinata's with guns and chainsaws then it might have had a chance. :(
I'm interested to see how the demo helps it. I'm picking up a copy at the end of this month because of it, for my daughter. I've read a few others doing so as well.

Bowen_B

Banned
---- said:
Poor Viva. Perhaps if there was a bald space marine pinata and you could accessorize the pinata's with guns and chainsaws then it might have had a chance. :(
Myabe it would do better if it was on a console with a broad range of games and no customers?

KTallguy

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I'm interested to see how the demo helps it. I'm picking up a copy at the end of this month because of it, for my daughter. I've read a few others doing so as well.

I'm playing the demo, and the game is excellent, but man, it's not for kids at all.

GhaleonEB

KTallguy said:
I'm playing the demo, and the game is excellent, but man, it's not for kids at all.
That's why my daugher didn't get it for Christmas. But she's gotten two hours into the demo and handles it well. (She can read very, very well so text isn't a problem.) She absolutely loves it so I'm caving in.

Norse

sonycowboy said:
OK.

I'm going to take a few requests here. From the top 100 (or what you assume would be in the top 100), request a title. I'll post that title and it's ranking in the top 100 by units.

Based on concensus from you guys, I'll post the top 5 titles not listed here. And tomorrow, I'll work on trying to get some more interesting numbers from this month. Cause, the summaries for some of these results almost as interesting.

I'll start:

32) PS3 VIRTUA FIGHTER 5 53k

how about top 10 per console?

Saoh

Sonic Wii
and LTD of Zelda Twilight Princess combined if possible :) plz <3

HOLY ****ING JEBUS! @ Wii Play O_O wiimote shortages are obvious :p

----

Banned
KTallguy said:
Nope. It's too deep and complicated for kids but it's too cutesy and non-violent for Xbox 360 owners. Too bad it's one of the best games released last year. That's just about the worst curse a game can get, to be great and have no audience. Viva Pinata is now easily the most under appreciated next-gen game. I really wonder how Microsoft will deal with the license going forward, will it go to DS or PC or will they compromise the game and try to either make it appeal more to older gamers or dumb it down for younger gamers. I can see why they are sticking with the franchise, but I'm not sure I see how they're going to make it successful. The recently released demo is probably too late to have any impact. The demo basically gives the entire game away for free and only takes away the ability to save. Maybe the game should have been included on the hard disc and functioned somewhat like "HOME." I believe that idea was actually floated around at one point.

speculawyer said:
AltogetherAndrews said:
The only real shocking thing is how the Wii keeps selling despite having **** for games on the system. Nintendo is going to kill the games industry. :)

Stop with that meme. The industry thrives on game sales, not console sales. And the xbox 360 moves games . . . at $60. What are the big big sellers? Gears, Lost Planet, Rainbow Six, Crackdown, etc. Nintendo is adding to the industry, not taking away from it. :)

Look at those software numbers . . . it is official . . . the Wii moves hardware but the 360 moves software. Nintendo is NOT going to harm traditional hardcore gaming.

speculawyer said:
Look at those software numbers . . . it is official . . . the Wii moves hardware but the 360 moves software. Nintendo is NOT going to harm traditional hardcore gaming.

You're forgetting that 360 has been out a year longer and has had time to build this kind of momentum. Wii has only been out four months. If Wii continues to sell at or near its current rate, the software sales will come, 3rd party games included.

speculawyer said:

Yeah, because at it's first February the 360 was selling a ton of amazing software. Not to discredit the 360 at all but you can't compare the software sales or quality of the 360 15 months in to the Wii 3 months in.

----

Banned
speculawyer said:
Maybe for now, but if Wii sales continue to dominate like this then Microsoft really has no choice but to put out a motion sensitive controller. The Wii and the DS are definitely hitting a nerve with the consumer and Microsoft and Sony can't just ignore it forever. But I think price is really a huge issue here too. I think that the Xbox 360, PS3, and even PSP are selling far less than what they should because they are all expensive. Nintendo is offering much cheaper hardware with the Wii, DS, and GBA and I think that is one of the main reasons why they are selling so much more hardware.

Jammy

Banned
speculawyer said:

I think you're forgetting that the Wii has been out a year less than the 360. Add the huge success of the Virtual Console and the tons of Wii Sports out there, and they're very comparable in terms of what's being played for what system.

---- said:
Maybe for now, but if Wii sales continue to dominate like this then Microsoft really has no choice but to put out a motion sensitive controller. The Wii and the DS are definitely hitting a nerve with the consumer and Microsoft and Sony can't just ignore it forever.

No they sure don't. As long as they keep selling almost 500000 copies of a game in EIGHT DAYS, no they do not.

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
No they sure don't. As long as they keep selling almost 500000 copies of a game in EIGHT DAYS, no they do not.
And let's not forget, this is a new franchise. Saints Row, Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Gears of War, GRAW, Crackdown - they all debuted with >400k sold first month. Games on 360 are doing well, and a lot of new franchises. And that's a good thing.

----

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Well yeah I guess they could attach unique Halo 3 beta's to every single game they release but I think that might lose it's effectiveness as a marketing tactic after a while. :lol If you don't think MS realizes they need to start reacting to Wii then you are crazy. Bill Gates said the Wii is their biggest competition this generation and Peter Moore has hinted that they are now working on a controller. Even if they don't see the Wii as a direct threat to Xbox 360, there's still the potential for a massive audience that they are losing out on by not having that simple motion control scheme. Obviously if it's implemented in an inferior half baked way like SIXAXIS then it's a total waste, but if they can come up with something that is even more immersive and user friendly then it might be worth their while. I guess it all depends upon how much the Wii continues to outsell the 360 by. I'm sure they're already working on something new.

Uh 1up just put this up:

Sonic Secret of the Rings 63k

Thats not the same number given earlier, this new number sucks. Whats the actual number.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
MiamiWesker said:
Uh 1up just put this up:

Sonic Secret of the Rings 63k

Thats not the same number given earlier, this new number sucks. Whats the actual number.
I think the 6 is a typo.

DSN2K

BenjaminBirdie said:

no reason why they couldnt do both......they clearly have no problem with addons so a new controller with selective group of titles designed for it could bring in a new market for them

FrankT

---- said:
Maybe for now, but if Wii sales continue to dominate like this then Microsoft really has no choice but to put out a motion sensitive controller. The Wii and the DS are definitely hitting a nerve with the consumer and Microsoft and Sony can't just ignore it forever. But I think price is really a huge issue here too. I think that the Xbox 360, PS3, and even PSP are selling far less than what they should because they are all expensive. Nintendo is offering much cheaper hardware with the Wii, DS, and GBA and I think that is one of the main reasons why they are selling so much more hardware.

Let's just get one thing straight MS ain't got to do jack this year save a price drop and great games, which we all know are coming.

That is all.

Jammy said:
I think you're forgetting that the Wii has been out a year less than the 360. Add the huge success of the Virtual Console and the tons of Wii Sports out there, and they're very comparable in terms of what's being played for what system.

Jeez, everyone said the same thing. Well everyone . . . the PS2 has been out much longer than either the 360 or the Wii and has an installed based probably four times the size of the Wii & 360 combined . . . yet only 1 title in the top 10. Why? Because software tends to sell at rates proporational to the console sales. (It is just a rule of thumb.)

And that rule of thumb would indicate that the Wii should be selling more software than it is. Why isn't it? Because a lot of casual gamers bought a Wii and they don't buy nearly as much software as the hardcore 360 crowd.

Jeez, am I saying something that unreasonable?

----

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Let's just get one thing straight MS ain't got to do jack this year save a price drop and great games, which we all know are coming.

That is all.
Nobody is saying they have to do it or that they're going to change their entire strategy with Xbox 360, but I think just like they reacted to Eyetoy and Blu-ray, they will probably react to the Wii motion controller. Something this popular they'd have to be pretty stupid not to try to get a piece of. Also unfortunately I don't think a price drop is coming this year. It doesn't make any sense to drop the price of the console before Halo 3 releases. I believe the rumors that they will follow the iPod business model and just upgrade the console features, but keep the same price.

Top Bottom