• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Software Sales Results for February 2007

GhaleonEB said:
12 - you have to include the 20th.

:p

12608l4kouqrdqn.gif

"WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER MY T.I. CASSETTE!"

AltogetherAndrews said:
The low hardware sales for the PS3 might be hilarious in some ways, but the effect it all has on Resistance's sales numbers, that's purely tragic.

It actually is. And yet people laugh at Luke's comments about the situation. A thriving GAF community for a game doesn't finanicially support a developer and publisher's investment in a game as much as we might wish it could.

GhaleonEB said:
You know what? I think he's going to be dancing next month as well. Legs baby. We're talking >200k. Can you hear me now?

This is why 360 software is going to STEAMROLL this year. Next month? GRAW2. April? GHII. And as Lost Planet shows, last month's game will carry over just a little bit more. Throw in that month's NBA Street and viola. Publishers and Developers just found their new first baseman in this little schoolyard game of kickball.

GhaleonEB said:
You know what? I think he's going to be dancing next month as well. Legs baby. We're talking >200k. Can you hear me now?

Eh, a game would need good word of mouth for that.

OH. WAIT.

TETRIS DOCKS FTW.

so, besides those horribles results, sony is still gonna keep ignoring the facts and rely on things like "we sold the most software combined". of course, the library is much bigger and so is the installed base...

seriously, it can get worst than this. unless MS drops the price...

i had a saturn... i´m having nightmares right now.

if sony is all about taking risks, slash 100 dollars, take a huge hit first and start selling some units before things got out of control...

PleoMax

Banned
frankthurk said:
You got a quote on that? How do you sell 6x the amount of consoles?

Obviouslly we were talking about the Ps3 halo than when Resistence 2 launched, Resistence 1 would have sold 6 million+. Hell there was a thread about wich game would reach 5 million faster, GOW or Resistence, and Wollans and the likes were saying GOw would reach the 3 million faster, but never the 5 million, and they could see Resistence to have the legs to go to the 6 million.

Taking into account how poorlly it's selling...when it reaches 1 million, it will be party time.

Damn fine number for Crackdown, Lost PLanet, and Wario. DKR did well too, I didnt even realize it was out. And I think we can finally declare a winner:

WII LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS 130K
360 GEARS OF WAR 119K

seattle6418 said:
so, besides those horribles results, sony is still gonna keep ignoring the facts and rely on things like "we sold the most software combined". of course, the library is much bigger and so is the installed base....

You mean like this (from http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158048):

Sony said:
According to NPD data, February 2007 showed a 67% increase in retail dollars generated year-over-year for SCEA in the US with total sales of $377 million. With this increase, the PlayStation brand remained the number-one revenue driver for the month in the industry owning 38.5% of total sales. On the retail front, SCEA continues to work hard to stabilize supply for PS3 and PS2 across North America. A short month was reflected in PS3 and PSP sales figures over January, while PS2 continues to perform above expectations, down just 4.3% from last year. PS2 dominated software sales for the industry, generating $111 million in revenue.

Coming off the heels of GDC, there is much enthusiasm for upcoming games and services for PS3. With the announcement of 'HOME' and 'LittleBigPlanet' and the recent release of the much-anticipated 'MotorStorm,' consumer enthusiasm for PS3 continues to build. Excitement for PS2 also remains incredibility strong, helped by the release of 'God of War II' earlier this week, which sold-in more than 1 million units at retail. It was also announced recently that the 'God of War' franchise would soon be heading to PSP.

argon

speculawyer said:
Jeez, everyone said the same thing. Well everyone . . . the PS2 has been out much longer than either the 360 or the Wii and has an installed based probably four times the size of the Wii & 360 combined . . . yet only 1 title in the top 10. Why? Because software tends to sell at rates proporational to the console sales. (It is just a rule of thumb.)

And that rule of thumb would indicate that the Wii should be selling more software than it is. Why isn't it? Because a lot of casual gamers bought a Wii and they don't buy nearly as much software as the hardcore 360 crowd.

Jeez, am I saying something that unreasonable?

You're forgetting that the Wii comes with a pack-in game, which essentially sold 335k units last month.

Why would casuals need anything other than Wii Sports + Wii Play at launch?

argon said:
Why would casuals need anything other than Wii Sports + Wii Play at launch?

That is my point! Casuals don't buy much software so the big Wii victory is not as powerful as many seem to think it is.

Courtesy of Wedbush Morgan

February 2007 Video Game Sales +28%; Wii Driving Biigger Gaiins

Total U.S. console software sales for February were $441 million, +28% compared to last year’s $345 million, and much higher than our +20% estimate. Nintendo and Microsoft accounted for $79 million of the $96 million increase in sales.

The upside to our estimates reflects substantially higher than expected next generation console and handheld (360, Wii, PS3, DS and PSP) software sales. Next generation software sales increased $176 million, $35 million above our estimate, with the bulk of the upside attributable to higher than expected console software sales. Current generation software sales were –33% (down $80 million), more than our expectation of –29%, with a 15% decrease in PS2 software sales greater than our expected –7%.

Activision, Electronic Arts, and THQ each came in below our expectations, while the other five publishers we cover met our expectations.

We expect double digit monthly sales growth to persist through July, with releases such as God of War 2 (March), Guitar Hero 2 for Xbox 360, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, and Spider-Man 3 (April), Shrek the Third and Mass Effect (May), Ratatouille (June), and Transformers, Harry Potter, and The Simpsons (all in July) driving favorable year-over-year sales. Total 2006 software sales (including PC) were +6% compared to 2005, and we believe that 2007 software sales will be +17%, with strong sales in the first quarter (+41% in the first two months) moderating to low double-digit growth during the second and third quarters when year-over-year comparisons become more difficult.

We expect mixed market reaction to the sales data. While overall growth this month was substantially stronger than expected, most of the upside came from Microsoft and Nintendo, not from our covered companies. We expect some industry observers to express concern about slowing sales of next generation hardware.

Overall sales were much higher than our $415 million forecast (+20%) as next generation console software sales substantially exceeded our estimates. In 2006, console software sales (excluding PC) were $6.45 billion, a year-over- year increase of 6%. Including PC software sales, 2006 industry growth was also +6%. 2006 was a record year for U.S. software sales, barely eclipsing the record set in 2004, and we expect 2007 growth of +17%.

The average selling price of all games (console and handheld, current and next generation) in February was $33.31, +11% over last February’s $30.05 ASP, with lower pricing on current generation and catalog software more than offset by higher pricing on next generation software. Unit sales were up 15%. There were 10 games selling more than 100,000 units apiece in February vs. our estimate of seven and compared to five last year. The top 10 games captured 23% of dollar sales and 14% in unit sales in February versus 19% and 11% last month, reflecting higher demand for new releases.

Next generation (PS3, Wii, 360, PSP, DS) software sales totaled $275 million, compared to our $240 million forecast. The upside was primarily attributable to dramatically higher than expected sales of 360 and Wii games.

Current generation (PS2, Xbox, GC, GBA) software sales of $165 million were lower than our expectations of $175 million. PS2 software sales were down 15% year-over-year, slightly below recent trends, but suggesting that strength on this platform may be sustainable well into 2007. Our full year forecast presumes a decline of 30% for PS2 software for the year, and it appears to us that sales will be sustainable at this level or better throughout the year.

The sales pattern over the last few months had suggested to us that consumers are less concerned about the transition than they have been in prior console cycles. Demand for the PS3 is tracking below our expectations, while demand for the Wii remains strong. Once demand for the PS3 picks up later this year, we expect a greater decline in PS2 software sales. Although we expect a year-over-year decline of 30 – 35% for overall current generation software sales in 2007, we believe that next generation software sales growth will more than offset this decline.

We were pleasantly surprised by software attach rates and overall sales for the Wii and PS3 platforms. We estimated $70 million in software sales for the PS3 and Wii, based on our expectation of a tie ratio of 2.4 units for each hardware unit sold (350,000 Wii hardware units x $50 ASP x 2.4 plus 200,000 PS3 hardware units x $60 ASP x 2.4). Although overall hardware sales for the two platforms fell short of our forecast by 16%, overall software sales exceeded our forecast by 17%. This was due to this month’s tie ratios of 3.4 and 3.6 for the PS3 and Wii, respectively, compared to last month’s 2.2 tie ratio for the Wii and 2.7 tie ratio for the PS3. While some detractors may consider the next generation cycle off to a poor start, we think that improving tie ratios indicate strong demand for the relatively light software lineup on the next gen consoles, and we believe that once a greater variety of compelling software is released later this year, demand for the new hardware will increase.

Top Selling Games By Platform For February 2007 (By Retail Sales $)

360 Title Publisher
1 CRACKDOWN Microsoft
2 GEARS OF WAR Microsoft
3 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K7 Take 2 Interactive

Wii Title Publisher
1 PLAY W/ REMOTE Nintendo
2 LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCENintendo
3 WARIOWARE: SMOOTH MOVES Nintendo

PS2 Title Publisher
1 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR Activision
2 MLB '07: THE SHOW Sony
3 WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2007 THQ

Handhelds Title Publisher
NDS DIDDY KONG RACING Nintendo
NDS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS Nintendo
NDS MARIO KART Nintendo

PS3 Title Publisher
1 RESISTANCE: FALL OF MAN Sony
2 VIRTUA FIGHTER 5 Sega
3 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K7 Take 2 Interactive

GC Title Publisher
1 LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCENintendo
2 NARUTO: CLASH OF NINJA 2 D3Publisher of America
3 SUPER SMASH BRO MELEE Nintendo

Xbox Title Publisher
1 HALO 2 Microsoft
2 MADDEN NFL 07 Electronic Arts
3 MORTAL KOMBAT: ARMAGEDDON Midway

KINGMOKU

How close are Gears and Zelda(Wii+GC) in total sales in the U.S.? It has to be seeringly close.

Zelda outsold Gears this month by a good margin(Combined platforms) so if anyone has any idea *hint*Sonycowboy*hint* it would be appreciated.

Surprised baseball games are on three of those lists, didn't they just come out at the end of February? That's not a full month's worth of sales.

argon

speculawyer said:
That is my point! Casuals don't buy much software so the big Wii victory is not as powerful as many seem to think it is.

Counting the top 10 (and adding Wii Sports, because it counts):

Wii games = 945k
XBox 360 games = 872k

Wii software sales are fine. Casuals may not buy as many games over the long term, but we'll see.

McCrank

Neo Member
Yay at Crackdown, absolutely a awesome game. Hope it keeps selling well so they can pump lots of $$$ into the sequel.

-Chris

FrankT

argon said:
Counting the top 10 (and adding Wii Sports, because it counts):

Wii games = 945k
XBox 360 games = 872k

Wii software sales are fine. Casuals may not buy as many games over the long term, but we'll see.

Top 10

360=872k
Wii=610

Save the bundles, because it counts.

NinSoX

Banned
I guess Crackdown doesn't need my help. Sadly I do not have the game yet. Still playing the demo from time to time /cheapass gamer

Handhelds Title Publisher
NDS DIDDY KONG RACING Nintendo
NDS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS Nintendo
NDS MARIO KART Nintendo

"Handhelds"?

I am now really interested in how well Tiger Woods Wii will do in the next NPD, since it is a third party doing commercials and targetting the sport fan audience that got attracted to the Wii via Wii Sports.

KINGMOKU

moku said:
How close are Gears and Zelda(Wii+GC) in total sales in the U.S.? It has to be seeringly close.

Zelda outsold Gears this month by a good margin(Combined platforms) so if anyone has any idea *hint*Sonycowboy*hint* it would be appreciated.
Nevermind, I figured it out for myself.

BTW, for anyone else interested, and to shut up some people out there, I cant give numbers(OBVIOUSLY) but Zelda TP is REALLY close to Gears, a little under, and if next months sales hold in trend, then they will be virtually TIED in the U.S.

For world totals, I would guestimate that either Zelda HAS outsold it becuase of Japan, or that they are tied.

moku said:
Nevermind, I figured it out for myself.

BTW, for anyone else interested, and to shut up some people out there, I cant give numbers(OBVIOUSLY) but Zelda TP is REALLY close to Gears, a little under, and if next months sales hold in trend, then they will be virtually TIED in the U.S.

For world totals, I would guestimate that either Zelda HAS outsold it becuase of Japan, or that they are tied.

Its close... lets just leave it at that.

Both games are awesome and both are huge hits.

Wii60 ftw.

Z3F

Banned
Considering the history and fanbase of VF, 50,000 for its first next-gen release is just sad. Anyone thinks that Sega is going to regret its decision to release on the PS3 first? It's probably not going to do much better on the 360 since delayed releases don't fare that well even when they are improved over the original versions.

KINGMOKU

Karma Kramer said:
Its close... lets just leave it at that.

Both games are awesome and both are huge hits.

Wii60 ftw.
Oh, I agree. I cant wait to get my 360 now. I just dont know if I should wait for a pricedrop or not now. If it does come soon, I could be looking at some cheap games as well if I wait...

moku said:
Oh, I agree. I cant wait to get my 360 now. I just dont know if I should wait for a pricedrop or not now. If it does come soon, I could be looking at some cheap games as well if I wait...

I'll be getting my Wii soon as well... :)

raYne

---- said:
WOW. That's pretty bad. What did DOA4 sell in it's first month by comparison?
Finding old NPDs are a pain in the ass.

Seems like it did 95k in it's first full month (was released on Dec 29th) and was # 9 on the charts.

KINGMOKU

Okay, I'm grabbing myself a 360 here in short order, and I want some recommendations from 360 owners. I just cant resist anymore. It has a SHIT-TON of games.

I want co-op games, first and formost. I plan on picking up Gears with it, so dont mention it please.

Me and my brother have been DYING for some good juicy, action orientated co-op games.

jj984jj said:
To paint a better picture of Wii 3rd party sales Sonic Wii did better than Resistance.
And it came out in late February (the 20th to be exact) and SSX Blur came out on the 27th. Since those are the only 3rd party Wii games that came out in February that are worth mentioning I think we should hold off on the whole "lol! only nintendo games do good" shtick until the next NPD.

moku said:
Okay, I'm grabbing myself a 360 here in short order, and I want some recommendations from 360 owners. I just cant resist anymore. It has a SHIT-TON of games.

I want co-op games, first and formost. I plan on picking up Gears with it, so dont mention it please.

Me and my brother have been DYING for some good juicy, action orientated co-op games.

Crackdown, easily, is your best bet for that. Although, if you mean offline co-op then, Table Tennis. (Which is actually totally awesome and, what, five bucks now?)

:D

Top Bottom