• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Fuck you Mathews. Asshole put a PUMA on his show.

Quit giving them airtime.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
reilo said:
If she cannot handle a VP debate because someone was being "too harsh" on her and that Biden ought to play "nicer" to her because she is a woman, then that is proof-positive that she doesn't deserve to be in politics.

Hillary has a place in politics because she hasn't let the fact that she is a woman get in way of her ambitions.

I'm not advocating that Biden should be throwing off misogynistic slurs at her, but if he says something harsh to her, it should be because he disagrees with her campaign's policies, not because she is a woman. If Biden gets in trouble for saying something that is true, then fuck politics.
I agree, but that is not how it is going to be played in the media. Clinton could defend herself, and even she had stories circulating about how she was being unfairly treated in the media, and that Barack's attacks against her were sexist.

This is what I don't get about feminists. They want to be equal to men, but when they are challenged they immediately play lame duck and cry foul, and neuter the situation by playing the gender card.

...in the end she's just a VP, but this VP selection is the only interesting thing to come out of the McCain camp aside from their "political" ads.

reilo said:
Todd Harris: "I think Palin will win the VP debate."

Okay.
A couple of articles I read said that the only real danger for Biden is that if he destroys her too much in the debate it could come across as him bullying her and be unsympathetic. It does seem like a grossly comical mismatch, particularly when it inevitably comes to foreign policy and national security issues. This ain't a bake sale.

reilo

besada said:
Some, just like their male counterparts, are. I'm listening to one of the PUMA leaders, this very second, talking about how wonderful she is.

PUMAs are a fringe group that represent a statistically insignificant segment of the electorate.

avaya

besada said:
Some, just like their male counterparts, are. I'm listening to one of the PUMA leaders, this very second, talking about how wonderful she is.

Women in general. You get idiots in every faction.

Shiggie

P(u)M(a)S on MSNBC
mehjg5.gif

Well, I'm absorbing some of the media interpretation, and I guess this pick is "electrifying the base!"

Whatever floats their boat. That woman, in her speech, sounded like WAY, WAY, WAY, WAY out of her element. A complete joke. We'll see how it goes, but I'm surprised the response hasn't been more skeptical.

Chiggs

Riddler said:
I dont think the american public will be fooled twice & sway the win based on Christians. Not when people are getting hurt where it counts and thats in the pocketbook. Money will trump religion for most 100% of the time. Its sad, but its the truth.

Valid point for sure. We'll see how this all plays out. I'm certainly not saying McCain's VP choice was a stroke of strategic genius, but I see why he's doing it. It's not rock-solid, but it's not exactly unsound, either.

I think this election is going to be close as hell, and it's also going to be historically epic. You're living in interesting times, people.

Of course, I believe that's also an ancient Chinese curse. :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Stoney Mason said:
That might be the worst most obnoxious phrasing for a pro-life stance I've ever seen.
The idea that someone would terminate their child because of a disability is reprehensible to me and I'm pro-choice. I can't believe anyone is making it out like this. I'd rather no reason be cited at all.

greepoman

Chiggs said:
Agree 100% with this post. A lot of people just can't seem to get past the fact that this country is religious, and the issue of abortion will supercede stuff like foreign policy, experience, etc, etc.

Once you get past that, it's easy to see why this choice made sense. Abortion is the single most divisive issue in this country. But on this forum, most people think abortion is fine and dandy, so that when the issue comes up they're stumped as to why it's even an issue. This is what happens when you surround yourself with people that share similar viewpoints. Lack of perspective.

Since you brought up the abortion issue, I have a side question...correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't in-vitro also kill fertilized embryos? In fact couldn't you view it as worse than abortion since you're killing many embryos? If abortion ever got outlawed would in-vitro be next?

Anyone see that MCNBC text poll? (NOTE: This is not a Hardball Liberal Audience Poll, they've been polling this ALL DAY)

30Something% Think Palin Will Help McCain's Chances
60Something% Think Palin Will Hurt McCain's Chances

If it was close, I'd say maybe this could go either way, because hey, this is a fucking text poll, but those numbers can't be swung that much.

Total disaster. As far as that post from this morning went, can I laugh now?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
avaya said:
Women are not stupid.
Sure, but vagina voters are.

Sensible women, just like sensible men, will vote for Obama or McCain after reviewing their programs, but this... breed, is something special. And pretty irrelevant for Obama's campaign planners since they can't be persuaded into voting for him.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Gary Whitta said:
A couple of articles I read said that the only real danger for Biden is that if he destroys her too much in the debate it could come across as him bullying her and be unsympathetic. It does seem like a grossly comical mismatch, particularly when it inevitably comes to foreign policy and national security issues. This ain't a bake sale.
Like I said, I'm gonna love the debates. To paraphrase Luke Wilson in Anchorman, Biden is gonna straight up murder her ass.

reilo

PUMA: "She's not running for president, she's running for president."

Are you really this fucking stupid?

besada

Banned
reilo said:
PUMAs are a fringe group that represent a statistically insignificant segment of the electorate.

I do not disagree. But you're acting like they don't exist, which is simply not true. I don't think anyone's suggesting that Palin is going to draw huge numbers of women, but she will pull the fringe people from the bitterest of the Clintonistas, and she'll energize the existing female pro-life voters.

Like I've said previously, I think it's the best McCain could hope for. Before Palin he wasn't going to get as many PUMA people and the pro-life base didn't trust him. He's helped himself in both small constituencies without damaging his chances with other existing constituencies.

Giuliani would have completely lost him the pro-life vote.
Romney would have cost him big numbers in the South.
Lieberman would have torn the party apart.
Pawlenty was a safe pick, but was nearly as obscure as Palin and didn't bring the kinds of pro-life credentials Palin does.

I've never suggested she's perfect, by any stretch, but she brings some minor positives and virtually no negatives, which is why she's a fairly good pick for VP politically.

thekad

Banned
I honestly don't even know why McCain decided to gamble with this pick. They must think their convention is going to be a disaster.

reilo

besada said:
I do not disagree. But you're acting like they don't exist, which is simply not true. I don't think anyone's suggesting that Palin is going to draw huge numbers of women, but she will pull the fringe people from the bitterest of the Clintonistas, and she'll energize the existing female pro-life voters.

Like I've said previously, I think it's the best McCain could hope for. Before Palin he wasn't going to get as many PUMA people and the pro-life base didn't trust him. He's helped himself in both small constituencies without damaging his chances with other existing constituencies.

Pawlenty was a safe pick, but was nearly as obscure as Palin and didn't bring the kinds of pro-life credentials Palin does.

I've never suggested she's perfect, by any stretch, but she brings some minor positives and virtually no negatives, which is why she's a fairly good pick for VP politically.

The thing is, she brings in more positives to a group that already would have voted for him.

Many conservatives like me were not sold on JM quite yet. This pick shores up my faith in the parties commitment to conservative issues. If he had picked Joe, I would not have voted GOP. This pick assures me the campaign is not happy with how things are going with spending etc...and is going back to the conservative roots. (Social issues, smaller government, lower taxes, less govt involvement in state issues)

Great VP choice, it solidifies the "social base", and expands appeal to some untapped demographics. Looking at the H. Clinton message boards, many of Hil’s supporters felt they were told to sit down by the DNC, and consider this the true ticket of change. 90% of the posters in the HC forums on this topic were moved by the pick of Palin and her introduction, and are switching from indy and dem to this ticket! (This was purely an observation of the posts) Don't assume those those 18 million Hillary supporter are str8 ticket drones of the DEM party. Many feel quite alienated by the tactics used against Hillary, and many feel that choosing an insider VP Candidate undermines Obama's change message.

Chiggs said:
Now here's a question. Depends on how fanatical the people outlawing it would be, I guess.
In my experience, most in the middle are pro-choice but find abortion kinda icky.

Alot of those that are pro-life are also anti-contraceptive, i.e. womenz still be too independent. Barefoot and preggers ladies.

Y2Kev

Besada, I definitely agree that she's the best of the major picks. But why not Whitman or Hutchinson? Just because of the pro-choice slant?

friend: so I think you should run for student council so you can be the GOP VP nom in 4 years

I just can't shake the feeling that McCain's "major picks" were all absolutely awful.

Chiggs

thekad said:
I honestly don't even know why McCain decided to gamble with this pick. They must think their convention is going to be a disaster.

Here you go:

besada said:

reilo

laserbeam said:
Palin has been pretty moderate of course Abortion has become the end all be all topic so she is an evil partisan.

Moderate?

besada

Banned
reilo said:
The thing is, she brings in more positives to a group that already would have voted for him.

There has been considerable worry on the part of the Republicans that the hardcore pro-lifers would do what they often do when they can't find an ideologically pure candidate, which is stay home. Palin ensures they will not only get out and vote, but likely get out and campaign.

You don't seem to get how little trust the religious wing of the party has in McCain or their traditional willingness to sit out an election rather than "bloody their own hands".

The primary good for him is securing his connections to the religious right, the NRA, and the oil drillers (she's pro-ANWR drilling, which makes her even more staunch a drilling advocate than McCain). So, some positive within his base, and the ability to scoop up the PUMA crazies.

Y2Kev

laserbeam said:
Palin has been pretty moderate of course Abortion has become the end all be all topic so she is an evil partisan.
Palin is very pro life, pro gun, wants to drill in ANWR, come on.

Pat just called her "as conservative a they come."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom