• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
SpeedingUptoStop said:
The Palin couric interview critical analysis made my local news tonight, god damn.

Yeah, she is being painted as an idiot everywhere. The thing about throwing a woman or a black man up to this task is that since you are chartering new ground, you can't just put anyone up there, because if they are a fuck up, its going to be a long time before another like them comes and takes their place as a viable candidate. There are much better women in the GOP now that should have gone before Palin if they were going to pick a woman. I think this Couric interview is going to be her lasting legacy unless she somehow tops it on Thursday. Even then, I think that her shouting down Obama in the VP debate is largely going to fall to the wayside because a lot of people are going to frankly know she is just spouting what she is being told to say.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Agent Icebeezy said:
Yeah, she is being painted as an idiot everywhere. The thing about throwing a woman or a black man up to this task is that since you are chartering new ground, you can't just put anyone up there, because if they are a fuck up, its going to be a long time before another like them comes and takes their place as a viable candidate. There are much better women in the GOP now that should have gone before Palin if they were going to pick a woman. I think this Couric interview is going to be her lasting legacy unless she somehow tops it on Thursday. Even then, I think that her shouting down Obama in the VP debate is largely going to fall to the wayside because a lot of people are going to frankly know she is just spouting what she is being told to say.
Watching her try to talk down Obama is gonna have a worse effect than McCain's condescending debate attitude.:lol

Juice

electricpirate said:
What prompted the thread name change?

Everyone freaking out that McCain had won the debate.

I don't think it was totally unfair to think so. He won in the majority of pundit's eyes and probably on a reasonable issues score card.

The fact he looked like a sweaty, hunchy, angry nixon definitely lost it for him in the public's eyes, though.

Juice said:
Everyone freaking out that McCain had won the debate.

I don't think it was totally unfair to think so. He won in the majority of pundit's eyes and probably on a reasonable issues score card.

The fact he looked like a sweaty, hunchy, angry nixon definitely lost it for him in the public's eyes, though.
6zn1o9.png

Cheebs said:
It's nothing new. Look at the ENDLESS books that still come out to this day of pictures of JFK. If GAF and the internet were around in '60 this thread would be endless pictures of JFK and Jackie.

Politics has always been like this when its a younger good looking candidate and spouse.

Yeah I didn't see too many John Kerry avatars four years ago... :lol

There's certainly a lot of Obama idol worship here. But to be honest I'm happy that people are taking pride in their presidential candidate instead of some vapid celebrity. If it gets people more involved in politics and national/world issues, then all the better.

That said you have to be careful with getting too emotionally invested into Obama the persona, instead of what he stands for. He's human, so he's bound to make some mistakes. There's always the possibility he could really screwup. I hope people don't hinge everything on Obama and become apathetic if he doesn't live up to their "Chose One" image.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I think we need a title change after that HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE hit of hopium we took this weekend + the upcoming slaughter of Palin.

FlightOfHeaven said:
GAF predicted, and thought, that McCain owned the debate in the public eye.

Obama's ratings shot up.
Really? I wasn't online during or shortly after the debates, and missed a good chunk of the debate when it aired, but the immediate post debate spin seemed to be leaning in the direction of stating that, at worst, it was a tie or a mild win for McCain. Even conceding that, though, the pundits seemed quick to point out that McCain had more to prove, and even that would be interpreted as a win for Obama in the public's eye. People were freaking out here?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Agent Icebeezy said:

Or it will make it much easier for Hillary the next time around;)

Steve Youngblood said:
Really? I wasn't online during or shortly after the debates, and missed a good chunk of the debate when it aired, but the immediate post debate spin seemed to be leaning in the direction of stating that, at worst, it was a tie or a mild win for McCain. Even conceding that, though, the pundits seemed quick to point out that McCain had more to prove, and even that would be interpreted as a win for Obama in the public's eye. People were freaking out here.
ohgod.jpg

Xeke

Banned
electricpirate said:
What prompted the thread name change?

A bunch of clowns saying Obama got killed at the debate.:lol

Really? I wasn't online during or shortly after the debates, and missed a good chunk of the debate when it aired, but the immediate post debate spin seemed to be leaning in the direction of stating that, at worst, it was a tie or a mild win for McCain. Even conceding that, though, the pundits seemed quick to point out that McCain had more to prove, and even that would be interpreted as a win for Obama in the public's eye. People were freaking out here?

Some people were shitting their pants.

Rhindle

We might as well acknowledge where this is headed in the next 30 days:

How McCain Wins

By William Kristol

John McCain is on course to lose the presidential election to Barack Obama. Can he turn it around, and surge to victory?

He has a chance. But only if he overrules those of his aides who are trapped by conventional wisdom, huddled in a defensive crouch and overcome by ideological timidity.

The core case against Obama is pretty simple: he’s too liberal. A few months ago I asked one of McCain’s aides what aspect of Obama’s liberalism they thought they could most effectively exploit. He looked at me as if I were a simpleton, and patiently explained that talking about “conservatism” and “liberalism” was so old-fashioned.

Maybe. But the fact is the only Democrats to win the presidency in the past 40 years — Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton — distanced themselves from liberal orthodoxy. Obama is, by contrast, a garden-variety liberal. He also has radical associates in his past.

The most famous of these is the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, and I wonder if Obama may have inadvertently set the stage for the McCain team to reintroduce him to the American public. On Saturday, Obama criticized McCain for never using in the debate Friday night the words “middle class.” The Obama campaign even released an advertisement trumpeting McCain’s omission.

The McCain campaign might consider responding by calling attention to Chapter 14 of Obama’s eloquent memoir, “Dreams From My Father.” There Obama quotes from the brochure of Reverend Wright’s church — a passage entitled “A Disavowal of the Pursuit of Middleclassness.”

So when Biden goes on about the middle class on Thursday, Palin might ask Biden when Obama flip-flopped on Middleclassness.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/29/opinion/29kristol.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin

TDG

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
jesus, why does this 8 year old footage seem so old? Were TV cameras really this bad 8 year ago? wtf? I'm getting old, gaf.
I'm really liking seeing the older stuff pop up on youtube. I'm definitely hoping that the 2000 Clinton-Lazlo debate appears at some point.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
A Disavowal of the Pursuit of Middleclassness teaches against materialistic cravings :lol

Steel Mill workers are fucking middle class people. The right is killing me now. This was two decades ago. :lol

Bush and McCain both aged badly. and Alan Keyes regulated on them like he was Warren G.

and i watch part of Hannity's America for the firs ttime today...the entire show basically plays out like one long attack campaign ad against Barack Obama, right down to the ominous music and black and white photos. Fox really has no shame at this point.

GhaleonEB

Agent Icebeezy said:
A Disavowal of the Pursuit of Middleclassness teaches against materialistic cravings :lol

Best way to disavowal it is to have big government come and take from those who have and give to those who do not. Typical liberalism.

Rhindle said:
We might as well acknowledge where this is headed in the next 30 days:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/29/opinion/29kristol.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin

the biggest deathnail for McCain seems to be that the biggest issue for this country went from the Iraq war to the financial crisis. For the first time in about 7 years Iraq is not the biggest headline. The debate showed this. McCain is going to have to somehow turn Iraq and terrorists into the major issue, which is probably not possible at this point.

Imm0rt4l said:
seriously

When he pulled out that brochure, it was a "oh, snap, no he didn't" moment.

Hell, just watching him, I was cheering for McCain.

What the fuck, McCain? I suspect that he lost track of the reason why he wants the Presidency, and Bush's advisers have taken over his campaign.

He's effectively sold himself to get what he wants, forgetting what he stood for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom