• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad: nobody likes it

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League. Hype gauge: Are you in or are you out?

• I'm in

• I'm out

Results are only viewable after voting.

Belthazar

It looks like it could be fun playing through the story in coop with a friend or three... But playing with randoms will most likely be an awful experience. So yeah, I'll probably get it at a deep sale if my friends are interested. But wouldn't pay more than $10 for it

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Ill give it a go.
I doubt il pay full price for it cuz it seems borderline generic third person shooter.
The only "identity" the game has is from the Justice League characters otherwise from a gameplay perspective....atleast what I saw of it, this could be any run of the mill TPS with "special abilities".

But their worst crime?
Theyve decided to hide Wonder Womans thighs.
miss-me.gif

I will say I do like the Wonder Woman face model though.
Atleast they didnt make her ugly.
Just hope the Monolith ends up using the Rocksteady character model, which im assuming takes place in the same universe at a different time, cuz their character model doesnt quite look right.

HXQw2ru.gif

Mr.Phoenix

Man I'm realising that's the reason I'm more and more into retro gaming : tired of this "always online GAAS Marvel humour micro transaction battle pass/season pass exclusive loot" bullshit...
Its not that bad. I mean if you look at the games coming out this year, how many of them are GAAS-type games? Or last year?

It doesn't surprise me that every publisher would try their hand at a GAAS title, I mean when they work they literally print money, but if you are just not into games like that, there is plenty else to play.
It’s not a third person cinematic slow paced adventure. It’s only logical Neogaf is disgruntled.
So does this mean you liked what you saw, are excited about the game, and are going to get it?

Or is this your attempt to act cool?

Mahnmut

Its not that bad. I mean if you look at the games coming out this year, how many of them are GAAS-type games? Or last year?

It doesn't surprise me that every publisher would try their hand at a GAAS title, I mean when they work they literally print money, but if you are just not into games like that, there is plenty else to play.
Fair point. Still, what a waste of talent and energy from a studio that gave us top tier super hero games.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I just don’t understand Rocksteady.

Modern attempt at a proper big budget Superman game? Naw.
Batman Beyond Arkham-style game? Naw.
Justice League game? Naw.
Suicide Squad co-op frankenstein featuring Evil Superman plot #243? Yea thats the shit right there.

I hope the game does at least well enough for those talented folks to keep workin hopefully on something better next time. They’re a good studio. Its frustrating this is their output after 8 years…

Interfectum

I love how they kept saying ‘bu bu bu it’s in the Arkham universes! Be excited’ as a selling point. If that’s such a huge deal why not just make another fucking Arkham game??

Mr.Phoenix

Suicide Squad co-op GAAS? Yea thats the shit right there.

I hope the game does at least well enough for those talented folks to keep workin hopefully on something better next time. They’re a good studio. Its frustrating this is their output after 8 years…
Fixed it for you.

Sounds like a corporate decision to me.

I'm not super invested in super hero games, so this looks cool to me. Story seems interesting and has Kevin Conroy! People flip shit when they hear the term "looters shooter" and I guess I can sort of understand it bc there have been so many mediocre iterations of that genre.

Here's my question - what did people want this to be? What would have made people happy? More arkam style melee combat? I'm just curious since I don't think this looks that bad.

Kokoloko85

DC are kinda delusional and the same with the people who work with them.
No1 cares about these characters or half of the DC cast. Yeah the same was the case for Marvel but they spent years introducing there characters slowly And they are more interesting.

No1 wants to play as Sharkman or Harley Quin ffs or watch movies about them. Use good DC characters and stop trying to be Marvel

DC are kinda delusional and the same with the people who work with them.
No1 cares about these characters or half of the DC cast. Yeah the same was the case for Marvel but they spent years introducing there characters slowly And they are more interesting.

No1 wants to play as Sharkman or Harley Quin ffs or watch movies about them. Use good DC characters and stop trying to be Marvel
What good DC characters? 🤣

Kokoloko85

What good DC characters? 🤣

lol, kinda true.
Outside of Batman, Superman, possibly Flash, none of the superheroes interest me in a game.
Id rather they make some non super hero DC stuff, like Ronin, 300, American Vampire, Sandman, Books of Magic etc. Same for movies, they have some Great graphic novels to be adapted, why focus on trying to be Marvel, plus outside of the standalone Batman and Henry C as Superman, there casting sucks ass.

Salz01

Ill give it a go.
I doubt il pay full price for it cuz it seems borderline generic third person shooter.
The only "identity" the game has is from the Justice League characters otherwise from a gameplay perspective....atleast what I saw of it, this could be any run of the mill TPS with "special abilities".

But their worst crime?
Theyve decided to hide Wonder Womans thighs.
miss-me.gif

I will say I do like the Wonder Woman face model though.
Atleast they didnt make her ugly.
Just hope the Monolith ends up using the Rocksteady character model, which im assuming takes place in the same universe at a different time, cuz their character model doesnt quite look right.

HXQw2ru.gif
Sorry, have to disagree on the WW face model. I like the Monolith version you have here better than what’s shown in Rocksteadys version. No way does she look like WW in Suicide Squad. Just my opinion.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Sorry, have to disagree on the WW face model. I like the Monolith version you have here better than what’s shown in Rocksteadys version. No way does she look like WW in Suicide Squad. Just my opinion.
No need to apologize.
Opinions and tastes can vary.

I like Rocksteadys Wonder Woman.
maxresdefault.jpg

I was sure, but might be misremembering that the Wonder Woman game is the Rocksteady Universe so it would be the same Diana, but maybe im mistaken, and their render is what she is gonna look like in game.
Eitherway atleast Monolith have the common sense to NOT hide Wonder Womans thighs.

.Pennywise

Not even Santaolalla and his trusty charango can save this turd. Even if the suicide squad were 4 sad dads/strong women with their annoying kids as side characters and they just walked and talked for 20 hours.
That's some bet level stuff right here.

To all the people asking for another Arkham style game. Do you realize that Arkham Knight is 8 years old and the Arkham formula is almost 15 years old? In Knight it was already tired up and a lot of people criticized the repetitive aging formula.
Even in Spider-Man gets repetitive and Gotham Knights is the last example of it.

I get people might not like what Suicide Squad is proposing. But asking to go 15 years back? Really?

RoadHazard

Frankly the longer it goes the less the gaming community can be listened to in terms of actually paying attention to gameplay

You can clearly see Boomerang using boomerangs , on top of an anti gravity grenade and what looks like his ultimate ability. You can see Harley using her ultimate too (the finisher where she hits foes with her bat before they end up on a grenade / bomb). Deadshot, that one is rather easy its most likely his sniper rifle. Also, all the footage people saw is quite literally the 3rd mission in the game, from the looks of it there's an elemental system at play and the "villain" gear sets can be a ton of fun : the one showed (Bane) seemed to put a special condition on top of poison on targets and when your target dies, it seems to explode in an AOE thus afflicting the enemies around, turning them into potential poison bombs too

that could be great when combined with deadshot's mortar like ability for example. And if we think of I dont know potential emma frost set, poison ivy (which could be an AoE crowd control or something wilder), etc etc so yeah theres potential to be had here, I'll never understand people criticizing a genre they don't understand anything about, while laser focusing on something that died 8 years ago

Rocksteady's batman games are done. You won't get another one, just play Spiderman if you want some more since apparently getting a copy paste of Arkham in a game where bosses have 3 attack patterns at most is enough to sell 20 million copies

Sounds like you REALLY want people to be excited for this, kinda sus...

Edit: How do you know this was the third mission of the game? Did they say that?

Last edited:

Synless

Coming from the Arkham games to this, I have zero interest.

However, open minded approach. I will see what people say about it once it’s out. If public perception is pretty solid I will check it out.

ACESHIGH

Banned
That's some bet level stuff right here.

To all the people asking for another Arkham style game. Do you realize that Arkham Knight is 8 years old and the Arkham formula is almost 15 years old? In Knight it was already tired up and a lot of people criticized the repetitive aging formula.
Even in Spider-Man gets repetitive and Gotham Knights is the last example of it.

I get people might not like what Suicide Squad is proposing. But asking to go 15 years back? Really?

The industry is going years back. Look at the remakes of 7th gen games that still look amazing. What's wrong with releasing another iteration of a great game?
After all batman AK it's an 8 year old game already. It's not like COD or assassin's Creed releasing on a yearly basis leading to burnout.

But no, let's move the industry forward playing a shooter looter starring a shark and one guy by the name of captain boomerang... and those heroes you know and love? You have to kill them.

Sygma

Sounds like you REALLY want people to be excited for this, kinda sus...

Edit: How do you know this was the third mission of the game? Did they say that?

rgVWzJY.png

Mostly tho, haven't seen any argument on the gameplay outside of bad faith and ignorant ones. I don't want to get people excited because the whole feelings overriding reality is all over the internet right now, I'm more down for an actual discourse

Last edited:

Fuz

No need to apologize.
Opinions and tastes can vary.

I like Rocksteadys Wonder Woman.
maxresdefault.jpg

I was sure, but might be misremembering that the Wonder Woman game is the Rocksteady Universe so it would be the same Diana, but maybe im mistaken, and their render is what she is gonna look like in game.
Eitherway atleast Monolith have the common sense to NOT hide Wonder Womans thighs.
Goddammit they made her ugly AF.

Madflavor

It's the Suicide Squad in general, honestly. DC really doesn't understand what they've got with their heroes.

I like Harley Quinn, I'm just sick of seeing "Le Epic Insane Meme Girl" all the time. I know she's popular but she doesn't seem THAT popular enough to warrant her being in so much DC content. As far as I know her show has done decent numbers, her movies didn't do well at all, her solo comic occasionally does well, but isn't consistently in the top selling. I just don't get it.

It looks like a massive flop. Four unique characters and they all look too similar in playstyle; mix that with a live service looter shooter, and you got one big incoming disaster.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

I like Harley Quinn, I'm just sick of seeing "Le Epic Insane Meme Girl" all the time. I know she's popular but she doesn't seem THAT popular enough to warrant her being in so much DC content. As far as I know her show has done decent numbers, her movies didn't do well at all, her solo comic occasionally does well, but isn't consistently in the top selling. I just don't get it.
You can read it in so many ways.

For one thing, her popularity seems to be more theoretical than effective. And by that, I mean that people might dress up as her for Halloween and at #geek conventions , but they won't actually buy or watch her stuff. But WB might not realise the second half of that reality. Because she's really not all that interesting to most people as a character, enough to warrant her own solo stuff/center stage of large projects.

What's actually popular is her design, specifically the Robbie-esque one that took the Arkham interpretation and put an e-girl spin on it in the early stages of that growing trend. You might think having a resonant visual design is half the battle for a comic-character (yes yes, I know BTAS), but it is just half the battle. And to me, the resonance of that design is on a time limit.

Spider-Gwen is this squared. An empty costume.

Last edited:
I am giving Rocksteady the benefit of the doubt given their track record, however I am not grabbing it day one. I expect the usual servers dying on their arse for the first few days or so, then I want to see how long the story mode is, and if it’s actually fun to replay the missions.

It took Bungie most of the last decade to get Destiny decent, and what has made me stick around there is the end game stuff; particularly raids, dungeons and Grandmaster strikes finally giving a choice on what strikes to do.

Suicide Squad has nothing like that, and if it’s just the story missions over and over, and some kind of “training room” like Avengers, it’ll be £10 by September.

Last edited:
Arkham Asylum/City was such a success story. I can't believe what followed was a near 10 year hiatus, only for the comeback to be Gotham Knights and now this.

Ar¢tos

And do what? Restart development? Ditch 7 years of work?
Better ditch a few more years and release a good game that sells well than release a game assured to fail.
The assets are done, so it won't take 7 years to make changes to the gameplay.

to all the people suggesting that yet another looter shooter (borderlands came out in 2009) is somehow a less dated formula than the arkham brawler formula: how you figure that?...

ratchet & clank released in 2002. r&c: rift apart released in 2021. when something's fun, it's fun, & while some may eventually tire of it, there's always others that are either new to it or that still enjoy it...

Ar¢tos

I won’t be surprised if they delay the game another year and rework some stuff after this feedback.
Halo Infinite style.
We can hope, but the fact that presented the game in this state show that they have been completely disconnected from their potential user base for the the past 7 years. Are YT downvotes enough for them to wake up to reality?
I wish some media site would do an article on it, it would be more effective.

PeteBull

Suicide Squad co-op frankenstein featuring Evil Superman plot #243? Yea thats the shit right there.

They(decisive ppl there) thought gaas gonna bring them tons of cash, instead of like till now, good quality single player game, the thing is, its extremly hard/very low probability u gonna hit 2nd fortnite gaas so 99% of gaas games are low quality/bombing hard.

Bridges

A lot of people here are forgetting that Gotham Knights looked a lot worse than this before launch and still sold very well.

This game will be more polished and is being made by a studio with a much better track record, and up until now hasn't had the negative buzz around it that Gotham Knights had since its reveal.

This game is going to sell like hotcakes. Whether or not it'll be any good is another question but I have some faith in Rocksteady. Looks like some dumb fun to me.

Calling it now though, this will score better and sell better than Gotham Knights (and Avengers for that matter).

Top Bottom