• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official X06 Barcelona (360) Summary Thread

sangreal

For once, I must agree completely with sonycowboy. Splinter Cell has been milked dry. This game should have been on a 2-year refresh schedule minimum, not one year. I dont think many people are even anticipating Double Agent let alone Splinter Cell 5

X26

Banned
Dissapointed that there was no mention of a price cut, but new mass effect and alan wake (which finally gives us some kind of impression on how the game plays) eases the pain somewhat. And I thought bioshock was going to be on PS3 as well?

Mrbob

sonycowboy said:
Splinter Cell has ABSOLUTELY NO BUZZ. MGS4 is probably the most anticipated next gen game outside of Halo 3. I'd attribute MGS 3's subpar sales to the taint of MGS 2 not having Snake playable.

In any case, the MGS franchise is still one of the tops in the industry. And as someone said, it sell well in every region. I expect that MGS 4 will do VERY, VERY well.

Yeah. I don't know if it'll do MGS2 numbers, but MGS4 will also have an online component which could help spur sales. Plus with the fantastic MGS3 the metal gear solid series is back after the disappointment of MGS2. MGS games are more of an event release too, because we don't see them until 3 years at a crack. SC5 will probably be out before MGS4, or around that time. Probably why MS racked up the exclusive so SC5 can go head to head with MGS4.

You know what I find interesting is that since GTA4 is multiplatform, I wouldn't be surprised if MGS4 ends up outselling GTA4 on PS3.

Actually, Assasin's Creed was the thing that impressed me the most. The amount of freedom that comes with being able to climb all that shit is nothing short of fantastic, not to mention the incredibly sick animation and good looking combat system.

Kuroyume

Banned
sangreal said:
For once, I must agree completely with sonycowboy. Splinter Cell has been milked dry. This game should have been on a 2-year refresh schedule minimum, not one year. I dont think many people are even anticipating Double Agent let alone Splinter Cell 5

MGS TTS 2004
MGS 3 2004
MGS AcID 2005
MGS AcID 2 2006
MGS Sub 2006
MGS Port Ops 2006
MGS 4 2007

RE is even nuttier...

Just saying...

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
Peter said that "you can see Mass Effect tomorrw; Peter Molyneux, Jackson, and someone from Bioware talk about game story. That they would see Mass Effect and Peter M on Fable 2, and Cliffy to play Gears, etc, etc, tomorrow.

More from the gameplay event is coming it seems!

And co-op Doom ROCKS!!! Go get this now!

Nice conference MS.

Fallout-NL said:
Actually, Assasin's Creed was the thing that impressed me the most. The amount of freedom that comes with being able to climb all that shit is nothing short of fantastic, not to mention the incredibly sick animation and good looking combat system.

Yup. Parkour + Next Gen Powah = 2007 Is The Ultimate Shizz.

sonycowboy said:
Splinter Cell has ABSOLUTELY NO BUZZ. MGS4 is probably the most anticipated next gen game outside of Halo 3. I'd attribute MGS 3's subpar sales to the taint of MGS 2 not having Snake playable.

Splinter will easily sell over 500k on the 360 by the end of the year. Games sell and sell well on the 360, and it's being released at the perfect time in October. Just watch :).

PleoMax

Banned
I don't get the hate for the CG, the CG shown was awesome, and hey...it was shonw as CG, not as gameplay.

There's a difference....

JB1981

sonycowboy said:

In any case, the MGS franchise is still one of the tops in the industry. And as someone said, it sell well in every region. I expect that MGS 4 will do VERY, VERY well.

Comparing MGS 4 to Splinter Cell: Double Agent is an excercise in futility. MGS takes very large and very stinky piles of shit on it.

hyp

Ghost said:
Doom is ****ing great on the controller by the way.

i'd have to agree. the game plays like ****in' butter! i'm probably one of the biggest doom fanboys on earth and i'm extremely happy with the way they ported this game. in many ways it feels even better than it did on the PC. plus all the conveniences on live made this an instant microrapement for me. this was the surprise of the show for me. who's up for some co-op tonight :).

g23

European pre-madonna
Shard said:
Jane Raymond does need to eat a sammich.

Damnation do I want The Assassians Creed.

Hay man atleast she is fitter then jooo

Anyways, you guys think this X06 was a megaton?

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
JoDark said:
Peter said that "you can see Mass Effect tomorrw; Peter Molyneux, Jackson, and someone from Bioware talk about game story. That they would see Mass Effect and Peter M on Fable 2, and Cliffy to play Gears, etc, etc, tomorrow.

More from the gameplay event is coming it seems!

And co-op Doom ROCKS!!! Go get this now!

Nice conference MS.

Thank god, fable 2 i needs it

hyp

R&R said:
I just dont get what is wrong with some people here...its like no matter what Microsoft does its never enough. They just had an amazing conference with announcements/trailers/footage from amazing games...and its still meh to some. And it had GAMES...did I mention games...those things we play you know? Oh sorry I forgot - this is GAF...specsheets FTW.

it's probably a matter of taste. at least from my observations, many of the 360 games do not interest "SONLY" gamers. it's part japanophilia and having no interest in western games. the vibe i get from some people around here is "if it aint japanese, it probably sucks".

i love both western and japanese games. which is why it will always be an all-console future for me.

sangreal

Kuroyume said:
MGS TTS 2004
MGS 3 2004
MGS AcID 2005
MGS AcID 2 2006
MGS Sub 2006
MGS Port Ops 2006
MGS 4 2007

RE is even nuttier...

Just saying...

Some games can sustain the hype through 20009890x releases, others can't

I actually think SC going exclusive may be just what it needs to generate some new buzz around the series

Kuroyume

Banned
Thanks for the BD hi def trailer.

Nobuo Uematsu owns...

sangreal said:
Some games can sustain the hype through 20009890x releases, others can't

I actually think SC going exclusive may be just what it needs to generate some new buzz around the series

Let's just leave it at that. Kinda derailed the thread for a page or two... :p

mikeGFG

Banned
Weak conference for me. Lots of fanboy ammo and press release bulletpoints (exclusive this, exclusive that) and the 'Barcelonatons' like Banjo and Halo Wars don't interest me in the least.

The highlight of the conference was the Assassins Demo. Incredible design choices and play mechanics right there-- it's like all the best parts of PoP, Spinter Cell and even Ninja Gaiden (defensive combat ftw).

Just watched the conference.

So...1.3 million in Europe, and 5 million worldwide as of JUNE? Where did these sales come from? America was like...2.5 million at the end of June.

And why did they cut the Banjo bit at the start :(

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Amir0x said:
Once again, the main post is updated here.

Thanks to the awesome xboxyde and Blim for so, so many great links :D
My pleasure.
I'm still jetlagged to death so I'm heading to bed right now. I'll post the rest of the XBLM content in 10 hours or so.
Btw it looks like MS will make it difficult to film Gears of War on the showfloor.

PipBoy

Banned
Splinter Cell games sold 14 million units last gen, I dont think the franchise is dead (only 4 million units per year, poor Ubisoft).

arne

JUST got in. What did I miss? Other than I need to get on marketplace right now (as I haven't seen any of these videos myself).

;)

jax (old)

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Just got back online. After thinking this over, I think the conference was partly successful. Some great stuff, some WTF, and some MIA.

Barcelona-ton

*Halo Wars
Without a doubt a massive announcement. The Halo franchise is huge and keeping the Halo games coming, but with a new genre, is a great way to keep fans and possibly expand the audience. 360-only, great developer, everything about it rocks.

sort of expected this because of the canned fan version

Great

*Next Splinter Cell is exclusive. Not a mega-ton, but a nice coup.
*Bioshock is exclusive. Great news, and a big coup.
*Assasin's Creed demo. It's the real deal, and it's amazing.
*DOOM on Live. Now. With 4-player co-op. Awesome, awesome, awesome.
*Gears of War demo - awesome. Looks buttery smooth, fun and polished.
*GTA 4 exclusive DLC content.

Nothing new here but the bioshock + SC news is good for MS. Not sure about SC though but that's because I don't care for the franchise. Its good that GOW looks good

Not So Great

*CG-galore. Forza 2, Halo Wars, PGR4. MS is turning into Sony on this department.
*The HD-DVD drive. $200 is too much, IMO. Should have been $150.

agree pretty much with all of it. Add to that how I believe Alan Wake will be much less visually impressive on the console

WTF?

*PGR4. WTF? I'm still confused about why there are two main racing franchises from Microsoft, but their next, Forza 2, is still a ways out. Talk about stealing the thunder...from yourself. Plus, it's just more CG. Boring.

MIA

*Halo 3. Seriously guys, what the ****.
*Dashboard update. I expected lots of news here.
*Fable 2.
*Price cut/bundle. Major **** up to not even have a bundle for the holidays.
*Release dates. I was expecting dates for Crackdown, Viva Pinata, Fuzion Frenzy 2. Nada.

No RE5 exclusivity :lol

That's how I feel about the conference from this bulletpoints. Can't wait to watch it though

shpankey

not an idiot
JB1981 said:
Comparing MGS 4 to Splinter Cell: Double Agent is an excercise in futility. MGS takes very large and very stinky piles of shit on it.
We've yet to play either, so I don't get this assessment.

Mrbob

arne said:
yeah, I'm really sorry there isn't a martial arts themed action adventure game there. :p

What that isn't the new Banjo game?

Anywho, I think SC5 exclusive is good news for the series. Now UBI Montreal can concentrate on one version and make it as ass kicking as possible. In a way I believe SC5 can be like MGS3, the game in the series that reignites the franchise.

Amir0x

Banned
TemplaerDude said:
I don't get it, so is that it? Two more days and that's all they're going to show or something?

i'm sure it doesn't matter to you or I, but uhm i'm pretty sure it's important that there are two more days full of playing this awesome lineup. And also smoking weed at the local bar afterwards

Odysseus

Banned
Amir0x said:
i'm sure it doesn't matter to you or I, but uhm i'm pretty sure it's important that there are two more days full of playing this awesome lineup. And also smoking weed at the local bar afterwards

Did they suddenly move X06 to Amsterdam?

jedimike

We should get some good hands-on impressions over the next two days and even more content on marketplace. I think the information revealed here and at TGS was better than E3.

Amir0x said:

I'm just wondering because people are already disapointed and posting MIA lists when there are still two days left... what are they going to do with those two days? Sit on their thumbs?

GhaleonEB said:
Just got back online. After thinking this over, I think the conference was partly successful. Some great stuff, some WTF, and some MIA.

Barcelona-ton

*Halo Wars A huge announcement, but hard to talk about it with no semblence of in-game footage

Great

*Next Splinter Cell is exclusive. Not a mega-ton, but a nice coup. Good news, but the franchise has been lagging
*Bioshock is exclusive. Great news, and a big coup. Agreed. It's looking fantastic
*Assasin's Creed demo. It's the real deal, and it's amazing. The HIT OF THE SHOW. The gameplay looked fantastic
*DOOM on Live. Now. With 4-player co-op. It'd Doom, it's 13 years old. Guess many will enjoy it
*Gears of War demo - awesome. Still looking great, I need to see it again
*GTA 4 exclusive DLC content. Old news, but will end up being important next year

Not So Great

*CG-galore. Forza 2, Halo Wars, PGR4. MS is turning into Sony on this department. Agreed, along with the Marvel game. Would have been nice to see.
*The HD-DVD drive. $200 is too much, IMO. Should have been $150. Won't matter. Studios will decide the battle.

WTF?

*What was PJ talking about? Not a game, not a movie. Some...thing. But hey, it involves Halo, so I'm interested. I have no idea what he was saying, but he's great, so I'll give him some BOTD

*PGR4. WTF? I'm still confused about why there are two main racing franchises from Microsoft, but their next, Forza 2, is still a ways out. Talk about stealing the thunder...from yourself. Plus, it's just more CG. Boring. Agreed. Unneccessary

MIA

*Halo 3. Seriously guys, what the ****.
*Dashboard update. I expected lots of news here.
*Fable 2.
*Price cut/bundle. Major **** up to not even have a bundle for the holidays. Agreed. They need this, so maybe it's still coming
*Release dates. I was expecting dates for Crackdown, Viva Pinata, Fuzion Frenzy 2. Nada. Not right for this show. They'll come soon enough

My comments bolded after yours.

Overall.

They ran a great press conference and AC was the hit of the show. Bioshock looks great too. The Banjo announcement was great to diversify the platform, but I don't trust Rare that much anymore. The CG was unnecessary as they could have shown more of the games that didn't get enough time like Mass Effect and Forza 2.

In the end though, there really wasn't much there. But, the presentation and the focus on the games was brilliant.

Odysseus

Banned
TemplaerDude said:
I'm just wondering because people are already disapointed and posting MIA lists when there are still two days left... what are they going to do with those two days? Sit on their thumbs?

It's not typical to unveil stuff after the first day. Sure, there have been exceptions in the past, but Microsoft usually blows their load before things even begin. We're get more in depth stuff, probably, but if you're not overly impressed with what's been revealed now, pack it in and check back at the next event.

Zer0

Banned
PleoMax said:
I don't get the hate for the CG, the CG shown was awesome, and hey...it was shonw as CG, not as gameplay.

There's a difference....

sure dude..the bioshock one was shown as gameplay

MegaTen

Banned
Almost every video on Marketplace that included gameplay footage.. looked like a slideshow. I realize that most titles are still early in development, but if you're going t show off a game, you might as well wait until you've got the framerate at least 30.. or choose the footage a little more carefully. :lol

Top Bottom